Woman's World Woman's World discussion

why this ending?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cynthia Really was it necessary to kill Roy off? It's as if Rawle couldn't imagine a satisfactory resolution to the central problem -- how Roy / Norma can sustain a relationship with anyone besides his mother -- so he pushed Roy in front of [yet another:] delivery van.

And what's with Eve? She can't be as perfect as Roy imagines -- for one thing, she's thrilled to get engaged to the new delivery boy two weeks after they've met -- but it seems like we are supposed to take her at face value.

I liked the book a lot. When I figured out the central gimmick (p. 85) I couldn't imagine what would hold my interest through the rest of the book. But the snippets of back story and the characters themselves were engrossing. I can't really imagine the ending that would have seemed right to me, but this one didn't.

Melanie Page I think, and I'm just theorizing, that because this book is set in the traditional domestic 1950s vibe, someone like Norma is too big to exist in the real world. She has to die, almost like King Kong, even though we've fallen for his character, a character that is larger than life and unable to coexist with humanity. Very sad :(

Wonderwoman Okay, I may have been reading too much into it but here goes: (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

In the early 60s, it wasn't uncommon for people to get married after they'd only known each other for two seconds so I wasn't put off by Eve's readiness to wed. I also think she HAD to be too good to be true to make it painful for the reader. Surely Roy would want to be with her more than Norma? She had to be semi-perfect. And that moment she comes home to him in her closet? Was your heart breaking for this poor woman or what? I've got some OMG dating stories but nothing like that.

As for the death thing: I saw it as a continuing theme. The scene of the actual Norma's death was the opening act of the book (when "Norma"/Roy witnesses the child being hit outside his window but the accident scene is mysteriously gone by the time s/he goes to get the mail from the postman) but it's repeated several times. Roy just keeps seeing this accident with a white van occur. It almost made me wonder if he didn't apply for the job that required him to DRIVE a white delivery van on purpose. The theme seemed to be that he was forever haunted by this accident that was presumably his fault. So, in the end when "Norma" died, he was just reliving the accident. The way it was written made me think it was just a metaphor, though, like "Norma" died but Roy lived. It was very ambiguous. Just my two cents.

message 4: by Valencia (new) - added it

Valencia Cain I found this book prettyhard to read because of the way it was set, it was pretty attractive and very different to any others i have read. Yet, it was kind of silly what happened to Roy, and Eve...*facepalm* Norma? Dont even ask *Facewall*