Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
85 views

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The Super Bowl is one week from tonight. In case you don't follow football, the Pittsburgh Steelers are fairly heavily favored over the Arizona Cardinals.

Do you watch the Super Bowl? Why? For the ads, football, or both?

We always watch at home with the kids, but my eight year old is the only one who really cares much about who wins or loses. We'll make pizza and have fun with the event-nature of the game. My wife always wants to see the commercials.

Last year, in my fact, my Patriots fan son cried when they lost. It was a true father/son moment where I got to say, "Sometimes being a fan means having your heart broken."

And...you?


Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You know, the Super Bowl is a great time to go shopping, or to the movies. No crowds!


message 3: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I don't know, is it gonna get in the way of my "L Word" watching?


message 4: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
I find myself a television for one Sunday in Jan/Feb only, and that is for the Academy Awards. I don't think that is capitalized.

Acually - that's not true. Sometimes we're invited to a superbowl party. I'll go because I like the appetizers and the social scene. But I'm rarely aware of what's happening in the game. Everyone hoots, I hoot. For the little red men, the blue men, whichever. I'm just happy they're scoring points.


message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't, don't, don't watch sports. Except Olympic gymnastics.


message 6: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments I think we've talked about this in other places already, but the Oscars are my Super Bowl! Oh, how I love them!


Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mindy wrote: "I think we've talked about this in other places already, but the Oscars are my Super Bowl! Oh, how I love them!"

Me, too, Mindy! Are you going to watch the SAG awards tonight?


message 8: by Charly (new)

Charly RA tell you Patriots fan son it wasn't as bad watching it on tv as it was sitting above the corner of the endzone that Burris caught the touchdown in. Also wasn't exactly the same father/son moment when we met up with my son who works for the club. You probably didn't have to tell your son to cut back on the scotch.

In the hypothetical world one might have an interest in the scoring in the game regardless of who's playing.

Commercials are usually entertaining. Never know what those Clydesdales will be up to.


message 9: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I'm conflicted about the Super Bowl: On one hand, I'd like Warner to get another ring mostly due to the fact that he isn't getting any younger, but at the same time, can I really cheer him on after he beat my Eagles?

I may just cheer for the state of Pennsylvania (Steelers). Stupid Eagles always disappoint me.

A PA SB would've been incredible...


message 10: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Ooops, missed the SAGs. I was at an L Word get together.


shellyindallas As much as I don't care about the Steelers or the Cardinals, I'll watch. Hope it's not a blow out. I'll take football over celebrity circle jerk awards shows any day. "What are you wearing?!" "Oh. Wow. I didn't expect this. So many people to thank. Uh. Err. Phew! (laughter from audience full of self-important blowhards) Well, first off I just want to say how much I admire and respect the other nominees. (cheers, applause)"

Blech!


message 12: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 26, 2009 07:04AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, I agree totally, Shelly...I'm not an awards show fan at all...they all blend in together after a while, the same people, the same lame jokes, the same red carpet, the same types of movies...I just don't get it...probably the way some people feel about watching The Super Bowl.

I agree, I don't care much about who wins and I can't say I'll watch the entire game if it turns out to be one-sided.


message 13: by Melanie (last edited Jan 26, 2009 07:44AM) (new)

Melanie We go to a party every year where they do "commercial bingo" - the host looks up the Superbowl commercials online and then makes bingo cards out of them. It's like 5 bucks a card and there are varying amounts of money for the first one to get four corners, an X, and blackout. It's kinda funny because people get more involved in this than watching the game - they are afraid to miss a commercial so they get up to use the restroom or munch on food when the game comes back on.




message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I love sports, but hate American football. However, I love me some Bruce. So I will definitely be watching at least some portion of the broadcast, if only the halftime show. And maybe the Clydesdales.


message 15: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Someone needs to make sure Bruce only performs for the 15-20 minutes he's allocated, during the SB Halftime show. If you've ever seen the man perform in concert, everyone knows he can go on for 4 hours without a break.

If he doesn't quit after 15 minutes, this may be the longest SB ever.


message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I'm totally OK with that. They can just forget about the second half of the game. Consider the first half just an opening act.




message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) I'm fine with that as well. If the 1st half is just nothing more than a Steeler beatdown, I'd rather see Bruce take the stage for the next 3 hours.


message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Obama is rooting for the Steelers...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/91...

Maybe it's because McCain is from Arizona:)


message 19: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments Bruce is doing 12 minutes. 4 songs, supposedly. Maybe 3. Suffice to say "Rosalita" won't be one. Two will be "Working on a Dream" and "Born to Run" --count on that. So the only mystery is the other. Dear God, please, no "Glory Days"---I love Bruce, but I hate dat song. I'd like to see him do "Reason to Believe" the way he opened his last tour with it, but that one's not well-known enough.


message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Sorry to break the news, Kirk, but Bruce has hinted he'll perform "Glory Days."


message 21: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Superbowl Sunday is a one of the few days I recognise as a holiday. :) Needless to say I'm a big football fan.

I'd like to see Warner win mainly because of his amazing comeback after much of the NFL had really forgotten about him, and of course the historic importance of this being the Cards first SB. However the Steelers are my favorite AFC team so I'll mostly be pulling for Big Ben, but not too disappointed if Arizona wins.

The other great thing about SBS is that once it is done they go back to showing the NHL game of the week on network TV, and I need me some hockey as it seems to be a hard thing to get WI.


message 22: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
I like Glory Days. This Bruce Springsteen news explains why there has been so much Bruce vinyl being spun at my home these days...I was wondering.


message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments It will be the standard bad half time medley I'm sure. I do enjoy some Bruce though.


message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Bruce's "Born in the USA" period still mystifies me. I think that could have been a better record without the slick production.

My kids want to watch the "Wipeout Super Bowl Halftime Special".


message 25: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Mine want to watch the PuppyBowl on animal planet.

Born in the USA is funny because many people think it is a patriotic song..I wish folks would listen to lyrics instead of the chorus sometimes. That of course is a whole other topic.


message 26: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments Hey, it beats the Aerosmith/Britney Spears fiasco a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcy5e-...

Ben Stiller: Please TRY to be funny sometime...

They actually missed a great opportunity to give Britney the line from "Walk This Way" about You ain't seen nothin till your down on the ... ahem


message 27: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I fell asleep at halftime. I'm watching the highlights now. I missed the halftime show, too. Oops.:)


message 28: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Damn Steelers... Ah well, at least one part of PA got what they wanted...


message 29: by Susan (last edited Jan 09, 2013 08:46PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments The Superbowl is almost always on my actual birthday or the weekend of and plans must be made around it.

Stupid Superbowl.

I do like the Puppybowl. The water dish cam is the best.


message 30: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) BRONCOS BABY!!!!


message 31: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Packers - Broncos Super Bowl sounds good.


message 32: by Félix (last edited Jan 10, 2013 07:01PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I went to a super bowl party once.


message 33: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments A super bowl part? Is that like going to the opera and leaving at intermission?


message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments What?


message 35: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 23414 comments Mod
What confuses you, opera, or intermission?


message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Stop bullying me.


message 37: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 23414 comments Mod
Santiago wrote: "I think I may go to the local sports bar for an hour to watch. I'm bummed Washington got cut, but hat's what we get for playing an injured player too hard."

Yeah I was mildly bummed Washington lost too, but emotionally compensated by the Bears not making the playoffs.


message 38: by Susan (last edited Jan 10, 2013 07:07PM) (new)

Susan | 6406 comments Félix wrote: "What?"

I don't remember. All I know is that I have a much needed, huge smile on my face now.

:D


message 39: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11459 comments NE-SEA


message 40: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4033 comments Susan wrote: "The Superbowl is almost always on my actual birthday or the weekend of and plans must be made around it.

Stupid Superbowl.

I do like the Puppybowl. The water dish cam is the best."


Uhhhhhh, Susan? When's your birthday? Because I have this exact problem. Are we birthday twinsies? No wonder I like you so much!


message 41: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4033 comments Santiago wrote: "I think I may go to the local sports bar for an hour to watch. I'm bummed Washington got cut, but hat's what we get for playing an injured player too hard.

Packers - Broncos sounds like it be a go..."


Me too. It was quite depressing. I still feel sad.


message 42: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4033 comments Phil wrote: "NE-SEA"

Fuck Seattle.


message 43: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I am February 4. You are the 5th, right? I was on the TC calendar the other day...scoping shit out.


message 44: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4033 comments stalker!

Just kidding. That's awesome. I love Aquarians.


message 45: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments You are just jealous because I am one day before you. Heehee. Aquarians are the coolest in the zodiac. True story. We just flow and glow.


message 46: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4175 comments I'm an Aquarian too.


message 47: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4033 comments When's your birthday, evie?


message 48: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11459 comments smetchie wrote: "Phil wrote: "NE-SEA"

Fuck Seattle."


Why?


message 49: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4033 comments Because we lost to them and I'm bitter about it.


message 50: by Susan (new)

Susan | 6406 comments I think Evie's birthday is at the end of this month...the 20th or something.


« previous 1
back to top
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.