Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Quote of the day

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17315 comments Mod
"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing."

-Socrates

thank you, Socrates. You don't know how much I needed to hear that today.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Gee, Sally, I don't know ....

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

You're so wise, Larry.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I feel that way just about every day...

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Someone wise told me once that it's not what you don't know that causes problems, but what you think you know that really isn't true.

In my work I run into people who just seem to be beyond learning anything new, because they are so convinced that they already have enough knowledge, thank you.

message 6: by Sally, la reina (new)

But is it truly something to know nothing?

message 7: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I wish I knew.

message 8: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments How do you know that, KD?

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Now I know what I never knew about nothing.

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Cathartic, isn't it?

message 11: by Charly (new)

Charly Is this like when a ball game is nothing to nothing and the announcer says the game is scoreless, when in fact the score is 0-0?

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Gee, Charly, I don't know ....

message 13: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Other Socrates quotes:

"Well, bugger me with a radish!"

"Do you breed with your cocks?"

Cocks, of course, being a synonym for rooster. An unfortunate translation by Benjamin Jowett.

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments A radish?

message 15: by Arief Azrul (new)

Arief Azrul Amar, Riefa (rieva) | 2 comments life isn't measured in minutes, but in moments....

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments I love that Socrates quote!!
I am going to start using it.

"Well, bugger me with a radish, my computer crashed!"

"Well, bugger me with a radish, I broke my nail."

"Well, bugger me with a radish, I can't find my radishes!"

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments You can't find them, Julie, because, ahem, you've requested they be used for other purposes:)

message 19: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments But ... radishes?

message 20: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Okay, fine...bugger me with a cucumber.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Japanese radish looks rather like parsnip, that is, a long root vegetable...

(but um no, am not trying to imply Socrates was Japanese)

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Does all of this have anything to do with the Socratic method?

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) sounds like mentoring to me...

(you may have to have been in Mini Am for this to make any sense :)

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Quote of the day:

The artist brings something into the world that didn't exist before, and he does it without destroying something else. -John Updike, writer (1932-2009)

message 25: by Gåry! (last edited Jan 28, 2009 07:37AM) (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Except the trees that provide the paper and the air in the towns with the paper-mills.

I'm just sayin'.
;)

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments Creation and destruction are two sides of the same coin -- one can't exist without the other.

message 27: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) what's your point?

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24194 comments I don't really have one. Is that a requirement?

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

I like that Updike quote. What I find fascinating about writing is the sheer creation of it. You are bringing a new idea to the world, and sharing a part of yourself that is uniquely you own.
Unless you are Foucault, it isn't necessary to tear someone else down, essentially destroy their writing to create something new.

message 30: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell "If you would like to share your comments regarding our relationship with Michael Phelps, please press one ... If you're calling about the recent peanut butter recall, please press two now."
--KELLOGG'S consumer hotline recording

Things are not going well for Kelloggg's right now.

message 31: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Lots of buggery going on here... Jean Genet would approve.

message 32: by Sally, la reina (new)

Awesome. I would say Poor Kellogs, but I just heard on NPR that the economy is helping Kellogs, Kroger, Nestle, etc considerably what with people giving up on eating out and staying in to eat grocery food.

message 33: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments This is the quote I needed to read today.

In an interview, Paulo Coelho (author of The Alchemist) made this bold declaration about following your dreams:

"We who fight for our dream suffer far more when it doesn't work out, because we cannot fall back on the old excuse: 'Oh, well, I didn't really want it anyway.' We do want it and know that we have staked everything on it...Then, we warriors of light must be prepared to have patience in difficult times and to know that the Universe is conspiring in our favor, even though we may not understand how...When we first begin fighting for our dream, we have no experience and make many mistakes. The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times. So why is it so important to live our personal calling if we are only going to suffer more than other people? Because, once we have overcome the defeats--and we always do--we are filled by a greater sense of euphoria and confidence...If you believe yourself worthy of the thing you fought so hard to get, then you become an instrument of God, you help the Soul of the World, and you understand why you are here."

message 34: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i was going to add this astute quote:

"Sex is like pizza. When it's good it's great and when it's not good it's still not bad"

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Unless there's anchovies involved, Kevin. That ruins everything.

message 36: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments hahahahahahahahahhaahazzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.