College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > Franny and Zooey--Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
Please talk about anything with spoilers here..

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Ok.. I've seen where a few of you read this book really quick and loved it. I read a little of it.. not a lot and it just annoyed me. I'm only where the couple (I can't recall their names right now) are talking in the restaurant and the guy is talking bs & the girl is half crazy. I haven't picked it up since for fear I will hate it. Haha.

I need some motivation girls... hehe.

message 3: by Kelsey (last edited Jan 26, 2009 09:22PM) (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha oh no! Well I heard someone else (probably in this group) say that they always read a book up to 50 pages, and if they still don't like it, they put it down. So maybe you can try to make it 50 pages in? I really like Salinger's writing style, but it doesn't appeal to everybody. I liked Franny (the girl) because she reminded me of myself (half crazy). Haha.

message 4: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Okay, so I finished, but am not sure about how I felt about it. I think this is probably one of those books I will have to re-read to get anything from.

Their family dynamic was odd, but I did like the fact that the brother and sister seemed pretty close and in touch with each other. They both are crazy.

At the end I was a bit suprised. Not exactly sure what I was expecting but that wasn't it. Oh, and I would love to read the whole list of quotes from the door.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Mar 16, 2009 10:25AM) (new)

Anna Shumaker (annashu) I posted somewhere else that I hated the book but that might have been a little harsh. I really just don't like Salinger but I thought it was time to give the guy a second shot (he won't be getting a third). I really liked the relationship between Franny and Zooey, it reminded me a lot of me and my older brother (kinda). I just got tired of the whole "I'm so tired of everyone being so egotistical, I'm so much better than them because I am brilliant and see through their egos". It seems like there was a period in time where youths thought life was tedious and unenlightening but instead of doing anything they sat around complaining and talking down to anyone who sought or found enlightenment...or something like that.
I'm glad I read it because now I feel my dislike of Salinger is justified and I don't need to feel guilty that I never gave him a fair shot.
Sorry I know this is pretty long...

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn completely agree with you, Annashu, about giving Salinger a second shot. I don't think he's a bad writer, but he (and I guess his characters and opinions) just rub me the wrong way. I hate the whole superiority complex shit. I liked this one better than Catcher, but that's not saying a whole lot.

message 7: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 250 comments It was not what I expected at all. I’ve heard the title a lot over the years but realized, once I started reading it, that I’d never heard anything about what the book was about or who the characters were. I’d heard that Zooey was the boy and that Franny was a girl and had assumed it was a love story. While reading it and once I finished I couldn't and can’t decide if I liked it or not. However, I did come away feeling like – as I did when I read Catcher in the Rye in high school - that I read it at the perfect time in my life. Where either a character’s age or opinions or confusion fit where I am at the time of reading.