Bipolar & Depression discussion

Welcome!

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by April (new)

April Trice (Hip_Junkster) | 4 comments Mod
Thanks to each and every one of you for joining this group. I've been "out of pocket" for the past few months, but I'm looking forward to getting some interesting conversations started about the resources that are available for those living with Bipolar and Depression, along with their families and friends.

Look forward to "meeting" ya'll!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

April, I am willing to get this up and running again if you would like. I have bipolar disorder and write books on the topic- so a conversation with other writers and book lovers would be great! Julie Fast

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (midnight_lioness) | 3 comments I would love to see this group become an active one. I have Bipolar II, mixed and was very active as a mental health advocate during the 90's. I am now pursuing an active career as a writer and woule love to be able to talk to others who have Bipolar d/o and other mental illnesses, espcially those who have written about their experiences.

One topic that I think has been ignored by the mental health organizations is how your d/o affects your parenting skills and how to continue to be a good parent with Bipolar d/o. I have a 4 year-old girl at the time of my diagnosis and the whole issue was handled poorly. My family did take car of her, buy when I would be in a "normal" phase, they wouls not allow me to be a mother to her. The repercussions of that still cause gtief and conflict today and she's 23.

Julie and April, good to meet you!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kimberly, yes, this a great place to talk. What is bipolar d/0? Julie

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (midnight_lioness) | 3 comments d/o is medicle code for "disorder."

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I got it! What are you writing?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Hi everyone. I'm so glad I found this group! I, too, suffer from Bipolar Disorder. It manifested itself right after my father passed away and I was in Europe at the time. For various reasons I couldn't come home for the funeral and I suffered immensely mentally. I am a rapid cycler, very medication resistant and to those that actually work for me, I quickly build up a tolerance and become unstable again. Anyway, I'm sure this sounds all too familiar to most or all of you. I am looking forward to the reviews, information and understanding from all who are familiar with this illness.

message 8: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (naomimccaskey) | 3 comments I have bipolar disorder as well, and it's so refreshing to be involved in a group that I feel comfortable talking about this in. Heather, it's so nice to hear that someone is suffering pretty much the same thing that I am. My bipolar disorder came out full force after my first son was born. I had a feeling that something wasn't 'right' with me before that, but I didn't want to face it. The symptoms have worsened over the last six years and I have been prone to more frequent panic attacks. I actually had one on an airplane last week on my way to Hawaii. A man was berating his wife, and quite loudly I might add, and for some reason that affected me more than her... haha! Thankfully, I'm married to an amazing man who knows how to get me to calm down and has accepted me who I am and actually embraces it better than I do.
I'm so excited that I found a group that I can share this with and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!!

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa N. (smilingzen) | 1 comments Hi Heather and Naomi,

I joined this group a few weeks ago but I haven't had much of a chance to check it out. I'm glad to see I'm not the only newbie.

A lot of what both of you wrote about really resonates with me. I've been diagnosed with bipolar for 10 years but I've always been different. Right now I've gotten a handle on my symptoms and I'm managing stress so much better than I ever remember doing. My moods are even. I have to take very good care of myself...not just with meds but with diet and exercise, the whole shebang. I've gone back to school and for the first time in many many years I think I can succeed.

I don't say all that to brag. Just to sort of show you that if you're patient and persistent, peace is possible. It took a long time for me to even out and I have lost track of all the hospitalizations. I don't have any delusions that it will last forever, just like Heather I have medication tolerance issues, but I'm enjoying things now and I'll take it as it comes.

I look forward to getting to know you and hopefully we can move forward on this path together.

-Melissa-

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Naomi wrote: "I have bipolar disorder as well, and it's so refreshing to be involved in a group that I feel comfortable talking about this in. Heather, it's so nice to hear that someone is suffering pretty much..."

Hi Naomi,

I can't be around people that fight- I not only get anxiety, but can acutally get a bit of psychosis! It hurts our brains- the woman may have been used to hearing her partner yell at her- but we need normal people around us! I used to fight with my brother and it always made me sick- one day I told him I would never argue with him again and if he tried to pick a fight I would walk away. That was a few years ago and it worked!

I am glad you have such a great partner! Julie

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Melissa wrote: "Hi Heather and Naomi,

I joined this group a few weeks ago but I haven't had much of a chance to check it out. I'm glad to see I'm not the only newbie.

A lot of what both of you wrote about reall..."

Hi Melissa,

It is increadibly helpful to hear from people who are doing well. The web tends to be about those who are stuggling!

Julie

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise Hi-

My name is Elise. I'm Bipolar I, completely medicated and not scary! (That's what I have to tell people who don't know much about the illness.) I'm new to Good Reads, and the other group I joined is trying to read 50 books in a year. I'm hoping to get some of the books about creativity and bipolar into that mix.

Ironically, I do psychiatric research at the medical school/research center/hospital in Little Rock. Reading and writing are the two things I really enjoy, even though I do both all day at work. I also love embroidery (check out sublimestitching.com for some cool stuff), and I also try to draw a little. I'm trying to get started with yoga; I already do meditation for anxiety attacks and find it works wonderfully. I'm also hoping to start running when the weather gets warmer.

Well, that's me. I'm really glad to be a part of this group!

message 13: by Naomi (new)

Naomi (naomimccaskey) | 3 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi Heather and Naomi,

A lot of what both of you wrote about reall..."

Hi Melissa,
After reading your post I have hope... maybe I'll be at pretty much the same place one day. I know that stress really does it for me so I've learned some coping techniques, although there are times that I forget to even do them(normally when I need them the most).
I'm currently working on my bachelors and I haven't been back to school in 10 years, either. I tried it right after high school and it was too overwhelming for me. I'm hoping that over time I can actually function pretty much like a 'normal' person... haha!

message 14: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 4 comments Hi everyone,

I'm 23 years old and am trying to figure out how to cope with being Bipolar II. I've had a different experience that what I seem to be reading about. Most people, or so I have read, have trouble dealing with the diagnosis but I've known for about three years that this is what I've been dealing with. My psychiatrist has only now conceded to the diagnosis, she never thought I met the criteria despite what I was telling her. It took talking to a psychiatric nurse for my doctor to believe me.

I'm in school working on my undergraduate degree and it has been a struggle for me. I've always gotten really good grades but I've lost all ability to cope with stress and I shut down, which for me involves hiding from what I need to do. I'm trying really hard to find what works for me so I can regain control of my life.

message 15: by naomi (new)

naomi hi everyone,

i am 29 and just diginosed with bipolar. i have always read a ton but now i have been reading lots about bipolar and simplar illnesses. i am some what of a rapid cycler and the new medication makes me lazy and i spent much time in be in reading. i am reading Maddness - Marya Hornbacher. wonder if any one else has read her book. Madness i am trying to start a book club if anyone is intrested too.

message 16: by The (new)

The Pyromaniac00 (pyromaniac00) *sigh* this is where I'm at D:

http://www.goodreads.com/user_status/...

I got no where else to turn so I'm hoping someone here can help me cuz this is the best group for depression help I can find..

message 17: by Sarai (new)

Sarai (chrysalis_stage) Any generous souls out there? Fancy sponsoring me?
I'm planning on exhausting myself climbing 3 mountains in 24 hours, Ben Nevis in Scotland, Scarfel Pike in England and Snowdon in Wales, in order to raise money for the charity Mind and in memory of my Uncle John.
Pennies or pounds, it all makes a difference! :)

Sponsor me on Virgin Money Giving

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I am Fai, more known as Yoite, you can call me either one. um I have depression issues, i'm a self-harmer, anorexic(fighting it) and a lesbian, i have a wounderful girl freind so ya, I play french horn and mellophone and i martch in a band

message 19: by Stephan (new)

Stephan Pire | 2 comments Hello,

my name is Stephan Pire, happened to be a publisher, and my friend Dr Payen has published a book about the Depression curve Positive Depression.

It helped me make sense of the denial phase I was into.

His book is on Amazon Kindle, soon on iBooks and Kobo:
Positive Depression on Amazon Kindle

message 20: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Rice (getolife) | 1 comments Hello, my name is Bonnie and I don't have bipolar, but my husband does. I'm online to learn everything I can about what might help us to have a happier life. I have already written a book about it: Love Has Its Ups and Downs, but I'm pretty sure there's still a lot to learn. We recently celebrated our 27th anniversary, so we must be doing something right, but every time I think we've got it all figured out, he starts skipping meds or gets stressed out and turns our world upside down.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello ^^