Jane Austen discussion

Discuss Pride & Prejudice 2009 > Discuss Chapters 43-46

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Continue our discussion of P&P here.

message 2: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
It is hard not to like this section of the novel. Elizabeth "tours" Pemberly and learns about Darcy from a different perspective. This episode seems interesting to me -- almost a modern-seeming plotline. I dont believe there is anything like it in her other novels that I have read.

With all that has gone on, there was little other way Eliza could have gained this perspective of Darcy. It opened her eyes to the fact that there was a different man under the surface. This kind of development is more seen in today's novels, but I wonder if it was in novels of that time.

After talking with the housekeeper, E. finds Darcy's portrait and experiences " a gentle sensation..." about him. Elizabeth is really amazed by the developments that follow. Honestly, the first time I ever read P&P, I was too. Austen did a good job with this portion of the novel in particular.

message 3: by Luiza (new)

Luiza | 6 comments Yes, I love that part, too.

It's when Elizabeth has a chance to get away from the generally disliked Mr.Darcy to be where he is beloved and admired, for what he is rather than what he has (as opposed to Miss Bingley and Lady Catherine).

message 4: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 04, 2009 11:22AM) (new)

Kathryn | 98 comments That is my favorite part in the whole novel!!! I absolutely love it!!! The "prejudice" begins to be chipped away, along with an softening of the "pride" which makes way for respect, admiration and love to blossom! I think the timing is perfect because it's not as if Elizabeth simply sees Darcy in a new light--because, admittedly, he was rather horrid to her in times past!--he, too, begins to change (i.e., in his kindness toward her aunt and uncle). It's not a revisionist view, but rather molding a new one! It's a bit of a "chicken or the egg" for me as they seem to coincide so perfectly! :-)