Terminalcoffee discussion

Sally's socket > Sexuality and golf are changing sports (Clark v. Phil)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod

you can't tell me sexuality isn't evolving

Remember that scene in Trainspotting where Renton says "Diane was right.
The world is changing.

Music is changing.
Drugs are changing.

Even men and women
are changing.

One thousand years from now, there'll be
no guys and no girls, just wankers.

- Sounds great to me."

That's what I think of when I see this.

Also, you all might think me insane for blathering this theory of mine, but here goes:

I remember hearing once, I think in the Intro to Psychology course at CU that forever tampered with my mind, that if you put 20 rabbits in a cage, and let them breed and breed without ever upgrading the size of their cage eventually they will run out of room, right? Well, once they run out of room they will naturally, due to some genetic switch that gets flipped, begin turning homosexual. Girl rabbits will begin trying to mate with girl rabbits, and the boys, well, you get the picture. Not all the rabbits, but enough to slow down the exponential cage-squishing to a more comfortable level.

Again, I don't know where I heard this, it might be complete bull. But it sounds logical to me, and I like the theory.
Mindy will probably have a lot to say on this. I've not dabbled much in sexual theory or science or any thing that would make me qualified to espouse the rabbits in a cage idea as legitimate. But I am comforted by this in some weird way.

Like, perhaps, genetics are more mysterious than we fallible humans can begin to understand. That perhaps our genes will take care of us in the end. There are lots of cockeyed Sally theories like this about sexuality and genetics and reproduction. Most of which I'll never tell because they are just too bizarre.

But I will say this: If I could go back and start over from scratch, or perhaps in my next life, I'd really like to be a genetic scientist.

Can I order up that kind of intelligence in my next brain when I'm reincarnated? (Yes, I believe in reincarnation and genetics all at once. I also don't believe in gravity.) Just kidding. Or am I?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Kelly McDonald, in Trainspotting, is insanely pretty.

You're smart as hell, Sally. You could be that kind of scientist.

I agree that sexuality is changing. I want to think about it a bit before I comment more, but the first thing that comes to mind is that whole theory about survival instincts and teenage girls getting their periods earlier and earlier.

And good morning!

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

Good morning!

My insomnia is back with a vengeance. I spent the hours of 2-4:30 writing lesson plans and new assignments in my head. Now I seem to be full of all sorts of theories and mad surfing skills. Perhaps I'm manic right now.

message 4: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was going to ask why you were up so early, Sally...the start of the semester and insomnia always go hand in hand for me.

I drink it away.

Hope you get back to sleep! Or I hope you get to sleep early tonight.

Heidi taunted me that I would fall asleep at the symphony last night, by the way, and I stayed awake just to spite her.

message 5: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm glad to be awake tonight and I'm going to try hard to stay awake all day today so that I'll get a good night of rest. Tomorrow I'm being evaluated, and even typing those words makes the butterflies do a little dance.

message 6: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I remember hearing once, I think in the Intro to Psychology course at CU that forever tampered with my mind, that if you put 20 rabbits in a cage, and let them breed and breed without ever upgrading the size of their cage eventually they will run out of room, right? Well, once they run out of room they will naturally, due to some genetic switch that gets flipped, begin turning homosexual. Girl rabbits will begin trying to mate with girl rabbits, and the boys, well, you get the picture. Not all the rabbits, but enough to slow down the exponential cage-squishing to a more comfortable level.

You don't need rabbits to see this theory in action. Go to any frat or sorority. Same principle, just the additional catalyst of beer.

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Heh, Kirk. I think they sell videos of that early in the morning on cable.

message 8: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments It seems like Paul Bryant and I talked about a version of this theory on TN a while back. But it wasn't in the context of sexuality. I think it was something about my oddball theory that modern mass killings happen b/c the Earth needs a way to rid itself of this parasite (humans) and the humans keep coming up with all these ways to live longer... (I realized after I posted it that M. Night Shyamalan totally stole my theory in his horrible, horrible movie The Happening.) So, Paul brought up something about rats in a sink, I think, and how there is a critical mass after which the animals will kill one another... I don't know, this is all from several months ago.

As for sexuality, if it were true that it changed according to population rates, we would expect to see greater rates of homosexuality in more populous (sp?) areas, and we don't. There's no real good way to measure it b/c of the stigma associated with homosexuality throughout Western history into modern times and in modern Islamic countries, but the general number seems to be that around 10% of human beings are homosexual... What is different is how different cultures react to homosexuality and various gender expressions. Really, homosexuality (just the act, not in the sense of a gay identity like we have today) seems to be a natural part of human sexual development. Most of our sexual awakenings (during early adolescence) are experienced at a time in our lives when we tend to spend most of our leisure time with same-sex friends, so when the inevitable curious exploration begins, it's usually in a homosexual context. In many cultures this natural development is condoned and expected, but it is also expected that males and females will eventually move on to heterosexual relationships. One of the reasons that I love social science is that it shows us all this stuff about ourselves that has very little to do with anything biologically deterministic. We create the norms for gender and sexual relations, which means we can recreate them. I love exploring the fluidity of gender and sexuality. I do think evolutionary pschology has a lot to teach us about why we have developed some of the norms we have, but I also think that if gender and sexuality roles were so bound by genetics, then we wouldn't see such variation across time and culture.

OK, that was a totally incoherent ramble. I love this subject, and there really are so many directions to go with it. (And I come up with all sorts of theories on my own, Sally. We should totally put our heads together on something!) BUT, I haven't had caffeine yet today, and I feel like I'm making no sense.

message 9: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments Oh, as for girls starting their periods earlier, I think that is mostly because of all the hormones that we put in food now.

message 10: by Sally, la reina (new)

Wow, Minds. I knew you would set us straight.
Um, straighten things out. Er, clarify.

NOT Incoherent ramble - nicely said.

message 11: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments I once heard of a study ( I of course can not remember where...) that is linking alleged higher levels of estrogen in males to women flushing their hygene products into the water supply. Now I am not stating that I believe this, but it would almost make sense when looks at how the role of males is changing in society almost on its own without any current social revolution going on. This could also lead to changes in sexuality perhaps by lessening it in males, thus giving modern males a smaller need to soil their royal oats so to speak...

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

The whole thing about pharmaceuticals in the water supplies scares the shit out of me.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Mike: This could also lead to changes in sexuality perhaps by lessening it in males, thus giving modern males a smaller need to soil their royal oats so to speak...

Mike, I think you meant "SOW their royal oats"

Okay, sorry, couldn't help it, carry on...

message 14: by Sally, la reina (new)

Hahahahahah! Jackie! I didn't even notice that.

I wonder what kind of pharmaceuticals can make a man soil his oats.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Oh wow.

message 16: by Sally, la reina (new)

But Mike, don't worry and don't stay away. We all make (sometimes freaking hilarious) mistakes.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) As you soil, so shall you reap.

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Or I guess it should be:

As ye soil, so shall ye reap.

message 19: by Sally, la reina (new)

HAahhahaha, HERE it is!

message 20: by Mike (new)

Mike (MJMorgan) | 38 comments Sally wrote: "But Mike, don't worry and don't stay away. We all make (sometimes freaking hilarious) mistakes. " Hehe. No worries. I am constantly making such errors. My wife points them out all the time. I have always thought that if we can not laugh at ourselves, we can not laugh at others. And let me tell you, I laugh at myself all the damn time!

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24107 comments Mod
Tee hee!

Last year around this time, we asked Keith Mays, pioneer in the field of men who look like old lesbians, to run down the 25 best examples of this confounding phenomenon. Since that time, he has continued to update his blog with more, and in some cases better, examples of famous men who look like old gay women.

Jay Mariotti, ha ha! Lang Lang!

Otherwise, I have no idea who 80% of those men are.

But I did find a fat guy in a golf shirt! Now if I could just remember what thread it was for.

Maybe the thread where we post pictures of people whose deep belly button indentations are unmistakeably visible through their shirts!

message 22: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4258 comments The belly button guy is doing a Michael Jackson.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice thread revival

message 24: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I still stand by my belief that golf is not a sport. Exhibit A: message 21.

message 25: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

It's true John Daly is not the best ambassador for the sport. Most of them are in better shape than that. And it does require incredible skill.

Still....any sport where you wear Dockers™ and drive around in a cart....there's a certain aerobicness lacking.

message 26: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Mar 22, 2012 07:54PM) (new)

Dockers pants, I meant. And you are right, they don't use carts on tour. But regular people often use carts.

I never said it was easy! I have been to a driving range. I sucked.

I'm sore the next day after 3 hours of intensive gardening. But I'm not going to call gardening a sport. It does use muscles, though.

message 27: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Lol. I love the discussion my idiotic joke has prompted. It's an old argument I've had with friends, and it's more to get people riled than to make any real point. I wasn't even aware of who that particular fat golfer was.

I don't like sports in general, so it's really not my call to determine them. The old(joke) argument used to be that if rich people do it as a hobby, it's not a sport. But then that would rule out tennis, and I have no arguments to make against tennis as a sport.

And I agree, Barb, curling is a sport.

message 28: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Golf and curling both count as sports in the same way that a lump of viral matter counts as a life-form.

message 29: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ouch! The curmudgeon hath spoken.

message 30: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Sally wrote: "Ouch! The curmudgeon hath spoken."

Do I really count as a curmudgeon? I like to think of myself as "polically correct challenged."

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

I don't like to think of you in those gramatically-incompetent terms.

message 32: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Sally wrote: "I don't like to think of you in those gramatically-incompetent terms."

Then I'm comfortable with "curmudgeon."

Note the period INSIDE the quotation marks.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Golf is a sport as much as bowling, darts and beanbag-toss are sports. They are contests of skill, not athletic endeavors.

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Is video hockey a sport?

message 35: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Clark wrote: "Sally wrote: "I don't like to think of you in those gramatically-incompetent terms."

Note the period INSIDE the quotation marks."

Technically, it should be single quotation marks with the period outside.

Further 'curmudgeonette' sayeth not.

message 36: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Jammies wrote: "Clark wrote: "Sally wrote: "I don't like to think of you in those gramatically-incompetent terms."

Note the period INSIDE the quotation marks."

Te..."

Pah!

message 37: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Right back atcha, Grumpypuss.

message 38: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments He's not grumpy, he is just a dad with a teen/pre-teens in the house.

message 39: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Cynthia wrote: "He's not grumpy, he is just a dad with a teen/pre-teens in the house."

Potayto/Potahto :D

message 40: by evie (new)

evie (ecie) | 4258 comments Jammies wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "He's not grumpy, he is just a dad with a teen/pre-teens in the house."

Potayto/Potahto :D"

He needs a drink. He's doing the terrifying teens!

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Cynthia wrote: "He's not grumpy, he is just a dad with a teen/pre-teens in the house."

No, that's Phil.

message 42: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Nope, Phil's son is in elementary school. Clark's twins are pre-teen and his son is 17 or so.

message 43: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Cynthia wrote: "Nope, Phil's son is in elementary school. Clark's twins are pre-teen and his son is 17 or so."

He's 14. Which is precisely the number of drinks I'll need to get me through Good Friday and Easter and back to work on Monday.

message 44: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Maybe it's Jim who has a 17-year-old (driving) son. I get you guys mixed up sometimes. But I know the guy who loves the Pousette-Dart Band. (CLARK!)

message 45: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Cynthia wrote: "Maybe it's Jim who has a 17-year-old (driving) son. I get you guys mixed up sometimes. But I know the guy who loves the Pousette-Dart Band. (CLARK!)"

Tell it, sister.

message 46: by Sally, la reina (new)

Clark has a son?

message 47: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I thought it was Phil who has a son.

message 48: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Sally wrote: "Clark has a son?"

Yes, yes he does.

message 49: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Paschen | 7073 comments Félix wrote: "I thought it was Phil who has a son."

Yes, he has a young son.

message 50: by Sally, la reina (new)

Shut the front door.

« previous 1 3