The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments So this may make some bibliophiles cringe but...

I read to my boyfriend when we are in the car together. We are on our 6th book-Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. A week ago, my bf proposed by cutting out the middle of the book and placing the velvet ring box inside. He put the book in my lap and asked me to read to him and when I opened the book, I saw the box and said...

"You defiled a book!"

I also said yes.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) YAY! I love this story! Congratulations Lauren, looks like you have a keeper there girl.

message 3: by Jamie (new)

Jamie That's sweet - congrats!!

message 4: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Congrats!!!...that is a sweet way for him to propose.

message 5: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 1451 comments Congrats Lauren! That was so romantic :)

message 6: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments Congrats!!!

JG (Introverted Reader) Congratulations! Although I hope he buys you another copy of HP... :-)

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita (tigergirl) | 45 comments Congratulations to you ! :O)

message 9: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Congatulations Laura!!!!! A great start or continuing when he involves books!!!!

message 10: by Dorie (last edited Jan 25, 2009 02:43PM) (new)

Dorie (dorieann) | 430 comments Such a great story -- congratulations, Lauren! It's great he tied your love of reading into one of the biggest moments of your life.

message 11: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) Wow!! Congratulations!

message 12: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbez05) | 556 comments Wow! What a sweet and creative way to propose - congratulations!!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) "You defiled a book!" That would have been my first response too. (On the plus side, you now have a book-safe!)

Congratulations!

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (jozanny) I agree that story is just too darling. Why not write it up and send it to Rowling's publisher? Maybe she would get a kick out of it. I add my congratulations with the rest, even though I don't really know anyone on GR yet.

message 15: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Congratulations! What a lovely story you'll have to share about your proposal. People always ask, and it's nice to have a sweet, thoughtful, unique tale to tell.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments Thank you all. Thankfully we already had 2 copies b/c we each had a full set when we met-it was his book he cut the center out of too.

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) That makes it even sweeter. Your kids will probably be publishers or writers

;)

message 18: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10035 comments Mod
That is really sweet! I love it when I hear about guys doing things that we would normally only see in the movies!

Congrats!

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) LOL...Lauren..that would have probably been my reaction too! Congratulations!

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Congratulations, Lauren!! I also had a Harry Potteresque proposal. And at least he cut out the pages of his own book and you have a spare. :)

message 21: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments That has to be one of the most awesome ways to propose ever!

:D Congrats Lauren!

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) For you Gemma it would have to be a Libba Bray novel.

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma  Blue (litlover) | 2389 comments Exactly.

But don't cut out the middle of my copy of TSFT.

Get a NEW copy and then cut the middle out.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments It's funny you said that...he nearly did. (buy a new one but he was afraid I would notice and it would ruin the surprise)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Congrats Lauren.

But I am very sad for the book :(

message 26: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 453 comments That is so sweet!!

message 27: by Hayes (new)

Hayes (hayes13) "...he nearly did. (buy a new one but he was afraid I would notice and it would ruin the surprise)"

Really brilliant!! When's the big day?

message 28: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (lmorris) | 91 comments It's 30 May. Glad it's short as I already find some of this planning stressful.

message 29: by P.l. (new)

P.l. Shang | 7 comments Wow...what an imaginative way to propose I must say. I have heard of the ring in the food which is often used, but a book....hmm...

message 30: by P.l. (new)

P.l. Shang | 7 comments Wow...what an imaginative way to propose I must say. I have heard of the ring in the food which is often used, but a book....hmm...