The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Other Book Discussions > Gilmore Girls (the book series)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin I thought it was strange that we have the two books on here that are associated with the tv series, but not the books that are the tv series. I've been slowly collecting the whole series. I have three so far because I'm a poor college kid.

I really like the book series since I can read them before and after class. It gives me that little pep to keep me studying and doing my best. Rory inspires me so much. I really like hearing the story from more of Rory's point of view. I don't allow myself to read them any where other then when I'm out and about because they are so short. I'm hoping to finish the book series and get the other two books, Coffee at Luke's An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest and Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series. Anyone else reading the books and loving them?

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments I picked up 2 of them recently because they looked good but I haven't had time to read them yet.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin I've been making sure I read them in order. I already read Like Mother, Like Daughter and I'm reading Gilmore Girls I Love You, You Idiot. I have Gilmore Girls I Do, Don't I? too.

message 4: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zoealea) | 2 comments I didn't even know about this. I need to find them.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) So are they just the stories of the series or are these books new stories?

message 6: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 20 comments I loved "Coffee at Luke's:An Unauthorized Gilmore Girls Gabfest" and remember fondly the afternoon that I went to a Bach concert hours early so I could read it first. And the price is reasonable which I can not say about "Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity" which is $31.50 and 229 pages.
I'd love to have it but can't justify spending that amount on one book without knowing I will love it.
I have the first in the series "Like Mother, Like Daughter" but haven't read it yet.

message 7: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
From the descriptions it seems like the books are a retelling of the series from Rory's point of view.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I've not heard of the Coffee at Luke's. I had Like Mother, LIke Daughter once but loaned it to someone and it never came back. Can't even remember who I loaned it to now. Quite honestly, I didn't like the book and wouldn't read any of the others in the series. That's because I'm Lorelai's age and saw the show identifying with her. I didn't like reading the books as it was from Rory's point of view. To me, they were YA books. That's not to say others wouldn't like them.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin They are from Rory's point of view so I can definitely see where Briansgirl is coming from. I'm Rory's age though (in college) so its great for me. Especially because I read them between classes. Its easy to jump in and out of because it is on a YA level. It is easy to read in crowded places or what ever else might make it distracting.

They are NOT new stories sadly, but it is interesting to me at least to read from Rory's point of view.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila I like the books because they are a quick and enjoyable read and an easy way to get a GG-fix when I'm not at home to watch the DVDs. I've read the first three books, but as a 'Dean Girl' I couldn't bring myself to read "The Other Side of Summer". I am really interested in reading "Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series" though.

message 11: by Christina (new)

Christina Cramer (iluvbeingme23) | 3 comments I hadn't even heard about these! I'm not sure I would be interested in reading them, though. Are they official? If they're from Rory's point of view, is it what the writers/directors had in mind when they wrote it? Or is it like a giant fanfiction, written by someone with their own opinion on the story?

message 12: by Kristel (new)

Kristel | 164 comments I didn't know about the books either. Same questions like Christina pop up in my mind now.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I didn't know about these books as well. I need to find them. I really miss Gilmore Girls.

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan The books are "official". They are condensed versions of the actual episodes (I want to say they combined maybe 2-3 episodes to a book, depending on the story arc). Unfortunately, there are only four.

Like Mother, Like Daughter
Gilmore Girls I Love You, You Idiot
Gilmore Girls I Do, Don't I?
Gilmore Girls The Other Side of Summer (This one is actually by Amy Sherman-Palladino.)

message 15: by Estelle (new)

Estelle | 15 comments I was thrilled to find Coffee at Luke's at my town's library - it's filled with essays written by people who love the Gilmore Girls and intelligently explore different aspects of the show and discuss every main character in the show. It's a great read and definitely one to convince people how Gilmore Girls is not just a TV show, but a truly smart and neat one.

I'm still scouting for the other Gilmore Girls books - tough find in public libraries and bookstores, because everything is grossly invaded by stuff like Gossip Girl. :(

message 16: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ramblingbooks) | 57 comments I actually stumbled randomly across one of the books at my library a few months ago and totally freaked out because I didn't even know they had books! I enjoyed it alot because I know the show and its episodes so well that I could see everything happnening like in the show as I read. It was also really cool to see everything from Rory's perspective. I can't find the rest though which is really disappointing :(

message 17: by Paige (new)

Paige | 2 comments Just ordered the whole series on amazon used for 15.00 (with shipping). Pretty excited seeing as how Rorie is the closest tv version of myself I can find and it's from her POV. Woohoo!

message 18: by literati (new)

literati | 17 comments I have the 4, they are short and enjoyable, nothing especially challenging or thought provoking but fun to read

message 19: by Danna (last edited May 23, 2012 09:00AM) (new)

Danna I really want to read something about Gilmore Girls! I wish! But I can't get them anywhere because they're not new and unpopular.

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ramblingbooks) | 57 comments ♣Ðᾰƞƞᾰ♣ wrote: "I really want to read something about Gilmore Girls! I wish! But I can't get them anywhere because they're not new and unpopular."

You could try to find some on Amazon or Ebay even. I'm sure you could find some for a fairly good price online somewhere :)