Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Fantasy/Sci-Fi > Star Wars

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) I do believe there was not a discussion about this famous Lucas Film. lol. For me, i really enjoyed all of the movies. The one thing that bothered me most was that... Lucas made the movies, starting from book four, not one. So, it gets me all confused. My favorite is the newest one, sorry forgot what it was called. However, it was the one when Anacin becomes Darth Vader. I really liked how these movies where filmed. It's funny looking at the old movies and comparing them to our new technology. IT was well filmed back then , too. Ewan McGregor (Obi wan) was my favorite actor in the first movies. The guy who played Anacin, he really didn't impress me with his acting as far as I am concerned. They are great movies, though.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments I'm big fan of Star Wars. I force my family to watch it each time it's on TV.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) LOL, my dad does that, too. And every time it's on, the next on in the series is on the next day! So yeah, we get our mouth full then.;) But i do enjoy it, it just kinda gets annoying!

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 325 comments The first trilogy was great, although Lucas reached his limits in the first film. Not a great creative talent there. What appalls me is the way he keeps tinkering with his films and changing graphics, etc. Connie Willis' Remake is close at hand.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) What do you mean by: Connie Willis' Remake is close at hand?

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie There actually is a thread on this film but it sucks to have to find it.

message 7: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Miranda {kewL} wrote: "What do you mean by: Connie Willis' Remake is close at hand? "

Read it. It's a very short novel (novella, I guess) about a guy in the future whose job it is to revise old movies to make them politically correct, things like removing the cigarettes and alcohol from old movies.

I think she wrote it BEFORE Spielberg turned the guns into walkie-talkies and cellphones in "E.T."

message 8: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I'll add the novel to my list, very Orwellian.

Marc: At first read, I thought Connie Willis was remaking STAR WARS! Now THAT I'd pay money to see!

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) Yeah i thought that's what he meant, too! lol. Sounds interesting, Daniel M.!

message 10: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments I'm a big Star wars fan, although I prefer IV - VI. I-II felt more like a special effects bonanza rather than a movie. It was almost as if Lucas was just doing it to fill the pieces rather than trying to expand and deepen his tale.

By the way, I think Lucas made book four first because special effects weren't that good yet during the 70's. A New Hope is set in a more technologically backward period because of the war. Most of the spaceships are old and industrial looking compared to the glamorous ships and cities of the early republic. So he opted to do book 4 first because could get away with the primitive effects.

message 11: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5414 comments I've never believed all that stuff about the story being conceived as a batch of trilogies, with different episodes and that stuff. It just seemed to me to be a lot of hype.

I think Lucas made a cool movie called STAR WARS that happened to have a lot of backstory about Clone Wars and Empires and stuff. When it became an international phenomenon, he was able to expand the backstory into other movies. Shame he didn't do a better job.

For what it's worth: I liked STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK a lot, was greatly disappointed with RETURN OF THE JEDI, and was just appalled at the lameness of "Episodes I - III."

message 12: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 325 comments Daniel M. wrote: "Miranda {kewL} wrote: "What do you mean by: Connie Willis' Remake is close at hand? "

Read it. It's a very short novel (novella, I guess) about a guy in the future whose job it is to revise old m..."

Actually, the book is about how the movie industry has degenerated in the near future to remaking old movies by digitally replacing the actors and props, just as Lucas did in Return of the Jedi by inserting Haydenson's head into the scene with the ghosts.

message 13: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 325 comments Tom wrote: "For what it's worth: I liked STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK a lot, was greatly disappointed with RETURN OF THE JEDI, and was just appalled at the lameness of "Episodes I - III."

Total agreement from me. Empire is the best movie in the series.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim Cherry (jymwrite) Maryse wrote: "I'm a big Star wars fan, although I prefer IV - VI. I-II felt more like a special effects bonanza rather than a movie. It was almost as if Lucas was just doing it to fill the pieces rather than try..."

Lucas made IV-VI (I hate that designation) because that was the most exciting part of the story & because while I do think he had the idea for 3 sets of trilogies (like he said in interviews in the 70's) that 1-3 & 7-9 were only vague ideas & the movie that came out as Star Wars was the best developed. He didn't choose to do IV-VI because technologically it was easier to film those first, he did Star Wars because it was the most exciting story.

Also, IV-VI seem to be stories a younger man is more interested in, changing the system & revolt against the established order. While I-III are by a man more settled in his life and the things he gets upset about are taxes and their implementation upon people. I think Lucas would have done a little better to have someone like Lawrence Kasdan work on the scripts of I-III, would have given them the punch of the real first 3.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (dwell_ondreams) I adore Star Wars, possibly more than life itself.

message 16: by Phillip (last edited Feb 04, 2009 07:42AM) (new)

Phillip | 10700 comments the only truly great thing to come from these movies is bill murray's saturday night live sketch where he's a lounge singer:
"star wars
nothing but star wars,
nothing but star wars,
again and again..."

ok, the empire strikes back had some decent bits...

let's not forget ronald regan's "star wars"....how much did they budget to the pentagon for that?

message 17: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 469 comments I agree with Tom's statement almost word for word.
The last movie of the original trilogy started off so great, then ended with that ridiculous teddy bear picnic.

I seem to remember Time Magazine did a cover story about the phenomenon of the Star Wars pictures about 1980. They had a brief outline of Lucas' "trilogies".
If I remember correctly, there were supposed to be 9 films coming out every 2 years. I dont think he had that in mind when he made the first film in 1977, it just sort of happened to fill in all the background information, especially after he saw the incredible success of the original "Star Wars".

Eventually he realized these films would take up his career until the year 2000. It became realistic to scale back his ambition and not work on the series until he was ready. I only wish he had done a better job of bringing it all together. I still watch with the hope that the movies will get better-they never do.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

star wars is awesome... The Empire Strikes Back was one of the best... i think there should be a movie with Xanatos in it... (Jedi Apprentice book 2)