SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > NBC's "Revolution"

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J (new)

J L's Bibliomania (JLsBibliomania) | 49 comments So, here I am watching the Olympics and getting bombarded with ads for the upcoming NBC series "Revolution." I recently read "Dies the Fire" and I'm being weirded out by the apparent parallels between the two post-apocalyptic scenarios.

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch the show. 1) watching TV would take away from my already-limited reading time and 2) I don't know if I could take an extended period of time dwelling on a post-apocalyptic world without getting too pessimistic.

Anyone else intrigued? Are you planning to give this show a try?

message 2: by Trike (new)

Trike | 2436 comments I will pass. Even with Eric Kripke (Supernatural) and Jon Favreau (Iron Man) on board, it still bears the taint of J.J. Abrams. I have literally -- in the literal sense of that word -- hated everything Abrams has done. Even when I didn't know it's his work, I've disliked it.

Also, the trailer features a plane plummeting out of the sky. That sort of thing does not fill me with good vibes that this will be anything approaching "smart." If you can't be bothered to use basic common sense, I can't buy into your imaginary world.

message 3: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 1471 comments I'm passing. There are just too many things that say "OMG. Just...why?" from the promos alone.

Plus, I've a TBR Mountain to climb.

message 4: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 248 comments I very rarely watch TV, especially series. If I mention that the last TV series I really watched 'religiously' were the original Star Trek and I Spy, you may have some idea of how infrequently I watch.

I may try this (if I happen to remember) but the three I've watched over the last 5 years or so I've watched two, maybe three episodes and given up.

message 5: by Terez (new)

Terez (Terez07) | 25 comments The show is set in a post-apocalyptic world that doesn't have zombies, so I'm intrigued. I plan on watching the first few episodes.

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Aug 15, 2012 09:52PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'd be more inclined to watch if it wasn't on NBC. Every year they try a psuedo-scifi show and it fails. Flash Forward, The Event.

I'm saying no now but I might give it a try anyway. I won't know til that day. But I won't be holding my breath for it to last. It won't.

No zombies is always a plus.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll give it a shot, only because the premise seems interesting to me.

Trike wrote: "Also, the trailer features a plane plummeting out of the sky. That sort of thing does not fill me with good vibes that this will be anything approaching "smart." If you can't be bothered to use basic common sense, I can't buy into your imaginary world."

Basic common sense regarding......the principals of aerodynamics? Or modern avionics? Most people I know, many of them "smart", wouldn't know the first thing about what would make a plane depart from normal flight.

message 8: by Julia (last edited Aug 19, 2012 02:52PM) (new)

Julia | 833 comments Since I didn't watch the Olympics I hadn't heard of this, but I did hear that John Barrowman is going to be on it, which makes me want to watch...

If only he'd be on as Captain Jack!

message 9: by Jackie (last edited Aug 19, 2012 05:30PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I just saw him on The Nerdist and he didn't say anything about being on Revolution, nor is it listed on his imdb page. Where did you hear about it, I'd like to source it. The only thing I can find is JB interviewing 3 cast members of Rev at ComicCon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT_lFs...

Then I found an article saying JB has joined Arrow in a recurring role, an unnamed acquaintance of the Queen family. Since this is a hush-hush character, I can see why it's not on imdb.
http://www.dailyblam.com/news/2012/08...
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidetheb...

I'm ready to let Captain Jack go. After Miracle Day, I never want to see another new Torchwood episode again. I would like to see him back on Doctor Who, though.

message 10: by Kim, The Ghost (new)

Kim | 1477 comments Mod
So has anyone watched it yet? I thought it was ok. Can't see it being great though.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I watched it. Can't stand the girl. The uncle is badass so I like him. Realistically, this will not last. Besides the fact that it's mediocre, it's NBC and that means it'll never last the first season, if it even makes it to mid-season, that is.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 1563 comments I haven't seen it, nor do I plan to - but I did have a funny interaction with a coworker this morning about it.

I was discussing with another coworker about shows coming up, and she's mentioned Revolution and asked if I was watching that. I said that I wasn't.

Coworker 2 chimed in and asked, "You're not watching that?"

"Nope," I said. "I'm not really into dystopian stuff all that much, and I've heard not great things."

"But it's sci-fi. Aren't you into that stuff?"

:|

"So because I like sci-fi I'm required to watch every crap show or movie that's remotely sci-fi related? Um, no... "

But it's funny 'cause this is hardly an isolated event. I get that kind of shit all the time. Craziness.

Anyway - sorry for hijacking the thread. :>

message 13: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 1471 comments Colleen wrote: "I haven't seen it, nor do I plan to - but I did have a funny interaction with a coworker this morning about it.

I was discussing with another coworker about shows coming up, and she's mentioned R..."

lol!!! My husband does the same to me. And - just to be honest - I'm not a TV watcher too much...so I hate most of them.

message 14: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 1471 comments Could someone tell me how is the science on this show? One of the 1st things I tried to figure out was...is there any reason why the world would revert to swords and bows due to lack of electricity. No guns/gun powder?

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Sep 20, 2012 10:53AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) They had guns.
Not sure of any science, at least not yet.

message 16: by Traci (new)

Traci Haven't watched it, probably won't but the thing I can't stand about most dystopian stories is that humanity instantly forgets how to do everything. We'd still have the science geeks, I hope, trying to figure things out. How about alternative energy sources? Were all the libraries wiped out too? Sorry, just a random rant.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Most dystopian stories skip over what happened immediately after The Event. In the few that tell that part of the story, they'll have people freezing in the winter and burning books to keep warm. Not ideal but at least I can understand WHY people in the present are so clueless. Also told in some books is the business of day to day life and hardships come first, science geeks can't be science geeks when they have to farm or whatever to survive, knowledge gets lost rather quickly. I'm not saying this is what happened here, but there are reasons why it could be so. Maybe they'll tell us what happened right after the loss of power, it's only the first ep.

message 18: by Julia (last edited Sep 20, 2012 05:09PM) (new)

Julia | 833 comments Mrs Joseph,

It's entirely possible I missed stuff, but some people have guns and some people don't... It may be a class/ officer thing. Giancarlo Esposito had a high powered sidearm, he is an officer, while others under his command were using ramrods to load their rifles. The one guy, the uncle, was the second coming of Duncan MacLeod. That guy who pretty much took down the entire platoon with a short sword and should have said, when he was done, "There can be only one."

I'll probably watch next week, but won't commit to longer.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Travaille (shelbyone) | 17 comments It started in Australia this week so being into shows such as this I sat down and watched it. As a first episode I found it intriguing to keep watching it and am hoping that they may show a few more flashbacks to see how the Milita's came to be, who makes the laws etc. I haven't quite connected with any of the cast yet but hopefully it will come. The idea of the planet losing power is so damn creepy that will keep me watching for longer.

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) The one character archetype that I completely despise is Stubborn Girl, and Charlie takes that a step further to be Stupid Stubborn Girl.
It's implausible that Charlie could be so self-righteous and naive growing up in this world. I would think that spending most of her life is this world should make those hard choice easier to accept and accomplish. Even more so than the adults who grew up in a different kind of world.
Another thing that annoyed me is that Miles let her stop him. Later he says, "Next time I want to kill someone, let me." Let me? Really? Not so bad ass anymore if he lets a stupid child tell him what to do. My esteem of Miles dropped significantly.

I don't think this show will last, no matter what, but if it keeps up with this ridiculous kind of writing, I won't be waiting around for NBC to pull the plug.

There's some points of interest, but I'm not sure they'll be enough to hold it together.

message 21: by Julia (new)

Julia | 833 comments It's true that I'd rather read than watch bad tv, say read World Made by Hand, on perhaps some of the same topics, but after watching this last night I think I've given it enough of a chance and won't be back...

message 22: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 254 comments I watched about ten minutes of Revolution yesterday and didn't get the appeal. I wasn't drawn in. I wasn't interested in the characters or the set up.

message 23: by Morgan (new)

Morgan Fables | 4 comments I've watched the first two episodes of Revolution and I think I am going to have to drop it.

They are adding little reveals here and there that should make the story increasingly intriguing, but it just isn't holding my interest.

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) Morgan wrote: "I've watched the first two episodes of Revolution and I think I am going to have to drop it.

They are adding little reveals here and there that should make the story increasingly intriguing, but ..."

There wasn't enough there for me, either. I saw the entire first episode, then turned the TV off after the first 15 minutes of the second. If they don't really beef up the writing and plot, this isn't going to last.

message 25: by Patgolfneb (new)

Patgolfneb | 25 comments To me it relied awful heavily on the martial arts, in fact reminded me of old martial arts movies. The huge suspension of belief that only selected energy sources were affected meant an interesting coherent world is needed, but? Leads are physically attractive but? Only scene I liked was explanation of why character still had her I phone.

message 26: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I'm out. It's off the DVR.

message 27: by Lara Amber (new)

Lara Amber (LaraAmber) | 664 comments I didn't even make it through the first episode.

Okay so an event happens that takes out all electronics the entire world over. Very implausible, but I will buy it for a moment. But 15 years later we still have NO electricity up and running, not even solar and wind? Do we have satellites circling the globe firing off EMP pulses every 15 seconds? Yet the secret to all this is on a flash drive...

Oh and if you were in the middle of a global conspiracy where people might want to kill you either a. for your knowledge or b. because they find out you are somehow responsible, wouldn't you MOVE to a new town and CHANGE your name?

Did not buy the "hey look, somehow in 15 years we razed all the houses (with no sign of ruins) around us to raise crops and for some reason the sign for the neighborhood was outside our little tiny cul-de-sac, not outside the whole neighborhood".

Anyone else think that Charlie was dressed like Katniss (yet wearing makeup)? And that was way too nice of a leather jacket for it to be 15 years old and second hand? (It was obviously machine made, not hand made.) And I really think handsome hero boy was wearing a synthetic "Under Armor" type shirt that also looked new.

And the whole "watching planes fall out of the sky" was so heavy handed for the emotional pull. I live near the flight path of a major airport (DIA) and still the chances that something like this would result in a plane landing a few streets over is pretty slim.

After all that I stopped watching. I'm not sitting through another JJ Abrams convoluted story where you keep waiting for the answers and instead you get pulled further and further into weirdness with no payoff.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

World Made by Hand (other topics)