The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Rory Book Discussions > ACC - Ghost of Christmas Present

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Discuss!

message 2: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Pancakes are neither pans nor cakes. Discuss amongst yourself.

Sorry, I always think of Mike Meyers when I hear the word "discuss". heh

message 3: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Oh, Meghan, you get me on every level! I was totally thinking that when I wrote it, but figured it too obscure for anyone to get. Classic choice, by the way, "pancakes." It was great seeing that first line on my post, too! I love good laughs like that!

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Mmm... pancakes...

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica Poole | 199 comments Pancakes, french toast, so many good breakfast/brunch foods. Do you all have any traditional breakfast foods for Christmas morning?

message 6: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Dec 14, 2007 06:37PM) (new)

For me, it's whatever I can scavenge because we travel to my aunt & uncles in Southern California... My plight is worsened by the fact that my brother hates coffee (and therefore mocks coffee culture), so getting him to stop for an open Starbucks (the only coffee shops open that day, so I slum) is like getting PeeWee Herman to give up his quest for his beloved bike.

But one good thing my ex did for me was get me to appreciate all the wonderful breakfast foods again.

Waffles. Big fan of well-made (preferably homemade) waffles slathered with butter and drizzled with maple syrup.

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I think it's rather ironic that we are discussing Christmas breakfast for this chapter. Isn't this the food ghost? Ahhh books and food. Such a great combination!

I'm thinking of venturing out into the homemade cinnamon rolls arena. Or making a brunch souffle. I can't decide so far in advance!

message 8: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Why am I hungry? I had a lovely Chinese dinner and then walked around Balboa Island for about four hours looking at the lighted boat parade. It's a cool tradition at Christmastime here in SoCal.

I think I'd like the Crab Supreme that my girls made for me one Mother's Day for Christmas breakfast this year -- I think it can be put together ahead of time -- mmmmmmm. Of course I could always try to imitate Cafe Bernardo's (is that the right name? -- it's in Sacramento) Almond French toast with cinnamon maple syrup.

But Scrooge and the ghosts -- I finished a few days ago and as someone else said I'm reading the book with all the Dickens' Christmas stories in it.

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera Ooooh, Dottie, I love crab dishes, and most seafood actually.

I'm also glad to hear that you are reading all of Dickens' Christmas stories. I would love to hear your thoughts. I'm almost through The Chimes and hope to finish the book within the next week.

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Dottie and Sera, crab is my favorite too!

My family used to always go out for Christmas breakfast, but the restaurant we went to is closed now, so we do breakfast at home. The past couple years I have made a crustless spinach and meunster quiche, chicken apple sausages, and fried potatoes.

But the one thing that we have every Christmas morning is a bloody mary. It's red and green!

message 11: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Dottie, I was just on Balboa Island two or so weeks ago! We had brunch after church out there at Wilma's Patio. Catty-corner from the fire house, someone had had a bunch of snow blown all over their yard and the few parking places in front of their home, so kids and adults alike were playing in it. It was so fun. We wandered around until suddenly we realized that I was about to miss my flight home! In the hysteria of attempting to leave the island - the tale would surely have you in stitches and includes a car literally stopping in the middle of the block in front of us and not budging (the streets are tiny and passing impossible) - we passed a house that was decked out and labeled "Whoville." I remember in the midst of the panic staring at that home and being in awe. I mean it was a millisecond long, but seemed an age when we were working toward lighting speed! But it is a lovely island on which to go relax and wander. Oh, and I did BARELY make my flight... but my luggage didn't.

The end.

Heh.

message 12: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I was getting some of these food comments on my home page today, and I was thinking, "Where is this food talk happening?" Little did I know, it was right here in the Ghost of Christmas present thread! Who knew?

I underlined nothing in this part. Note to self: underline more.

message 13: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments In my copy of this book, there are pointers at the beginning, to help the reader get more out of the book. One of the things it suggests is taking notice of Dickens' wonderful descriptions of food. So, you all are right on target!

message 14: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
And right on target with Lorelai/Rory...as we all know they loved food, as well!

message 15: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments prefer waffles to pancakes, but wouldn't refuse good french toast or a pecanabon.

the ghost of christmas present is my favorite of the three and i love reading this section. i love the way he uses Scrooge's own words against him to make him think about things more, particularly the scene at the end where he shows Scrooge the two repulsive children clinging to him, Ignorance and Want. i'd forgotten about that part.