Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (last edited Jan 24, 2009 03:41PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I just finished Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand by Carrie Vaughn. For those of you that don't know, this is the 5th book of the Kitty series. I know that the book technically doesn't come out for a few more days, but I got lucky and my fav book store put it out early.

Just wondering what others thought of it, and fair warning, this thread will probably contain spoilers for both this book and earlier books in the series!

I have mixed feelings about this book. I enjoyed it, just like I have all of the Kitty books. But I wouldn't say that it's been my favorite of the series. I had really hoped that this book would show more of Kitty's pack and how she's handling being the new Alpha. That seemed to barely get touched on in this book, but hopefuly the next book will expand on it more. I also kinda felt like there were a few too many stories going on! I loved the idea of Kitty and Ben eloping to Vegas, it just seems like something that she would do. And I thought that the gun show and all of the aftermath of that was great! But then to also have plot lines with Dom, Balthasar, Odyseus Grant, and Ben getting kidnapped (which had nothing to do with any of the other plot line!)!!! It just seemed to be a bit much. I don't know, maybe she wanted us to get to know all of them because they will come up in other books. It just seemed like there were so many things going on, and not all of them seemed either relavant or like she couldn't have gotten to the same conclusion without them.

***2nd warning! This next paragraph will give away the ENTIRE ending if you haven't read the book yet***

I don't know, just seemed like her attempt to connect all of the different characters was a bit forced. I mean, Ben gets kidnapped by mobsters, so Balthasar pretends to have Ben just to kidnap Kitty. Grant, Evan and Brenda save the day, and are still able to pin everything on Boris and Sylvia. And Dom knew that all of this was probably going to happen and didn't say anything? A bit of a stretch in my opinion.

I still enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the next one coming out the end of February. But this wasn't my favorite of the series.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) oh i haven't got it yet but can't wait to read it.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I'm not reading what you're writing... because I didn't read it yet. But I just found it at BN and I'm excited that I found it early. I will read it tonight and then read what you wrote Kelley LOL

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) lol that's exactly what i did

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments lol.. we think alike. I don't know what to read, this book or Pride. Which I found at BN too.. How fantastic when you find a book that you don't think will be there. :)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Feb is going to be a crazy month b/c so many books are coming outI already have Bone Crossed on pre-order

message 7: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I know.. I feel bad for my wallet. Plus I have a big state test to take in Feb.. so I hope I am able to read everything I want to.

Stupid tests!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) don't worry when you pass, you'll have even more money to buy loads o books. GL on the test

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm undecided whether to continue with this series. Really like the first two, but IMO the last several books have become less interesting. Feels like Ms. Vaughn is loosing direction. Not a fan of Ben for the male lead, and Cormac needs to come or go but in between is annoying. I really want to enjoy this series again, but. . .

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I agree with you completely Kelley!!!

I liked the book, but it didn't seem to have the same pizazz that the other books had. It most definitely was not my favorite of the series.

SPOILERS ahead! - you were forewarned!!

I also thought that the plot was wayy too much! There were like 18 different things going on. Half the time, I had to think about which character she was talking about. The bounty hunters were cool, but there wasn't enough time spent devoted to just their characters because Vaughn was too busy going off on wild tangents (no pun intended) about the were animal's show... Ben's kidnapping etc, etc...

Plus - Ben's kidnapping.. what was that? The reader never even got the full story. Or did I miss that part? I mean, you know he's taken by the crime boss, but that's it. No details, it's just like, okay one of the main characters has disappeared from the storyline and then reemerges.. but we won't really tell you where he was. Very strange, and completely useless to the overall plot line.

It's like this book was intended on being 2 different books but it was compressed into 1. ::Sigh:: I will still read the next one, but I have a feeling the series is headed downhill from here.

message 11: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments *Spoilers*

Jess -

I'm really hoping that the series wont head downhill from here, but I guess that we will see with the next book. Luckily it comes out in Feb. But I'm glad that I'm not the only one who felt that there were WAY too many stories going on. If it had been just about being in vegas, the bounty hunters, and one of the other situations (probably the animal show since that's going to show up in the next book) then I would have been fine. But why were there so many other things thrown in? I agree with your thoughts that it almost seemed like 2 different books compressed into 1. It just seemed like Carrie Vaughn had SO many ideas of things that could happen to Kitty in Vegas and instead of parring them down, she just decided to throw them all in!

About Ben being kidnapped, yeah there needed to be more details of why and how he got out. All that I figured was that he pissed off a mobster by turning his guys in for cheating in the poker game. I just kept thinking, what in the world does this have to do with the rest of the story?

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah I hate having to assume what happened with characters. The author should be telling us what happened. I'm worried that the next book is being released so quickly as well. This one just came out.. and now the next is only a month away. This almost makes it feel like she wrote one really long book and then split it into 2. Which also leads me to believe that this new novel will have a similar feel as this latest one (with too many things going on).

message 13: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments I totally think that this was one of those transition books. Meaning nothing much really happens except that it sets the stage for the next one. I am assuming that all of the business with the animal/shifter show will be the main plot in the next book which is fine. For me what sort of annoyed me was Ben getting kidnapped I just feel like there was no need for it, I think that she could have brought in the bounty hunters in a more consistent manner then using the hunters to help Kitty look for Ben (sort of?). I also think that this book was the perfect opportunity to open up about Ben - more about his past - more about his mom.

I think I am the only Kitty & Ben fan around but I really like them together, so while the end with the marriage scene and the sunset was cheesy I still loved it.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Kitty and Ben.. I like Cormac better, but I did enjoy the scene at the end anyway.

message 15: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Dawn, you aren't the only fan of Kitty and Ben. I will admit that when it first started, I wasn't too happy. I wanted her with Cormac. But the more she showed the two of them together, the more I love them! I think that they are really good together. I don't think that there is really any chance that Kitty and Cormac could have ever been anything more than a fling.

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I wonder if she will end up putting them together for a fling.. because we all know that Cormac is really into her. But then that will definitely mess up the alpha pair of Denver..

message 17: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments Kelley Anne...Glad there is another person in my corner and I totally agree that with Cormac it would have been a fling.

Jess .... uggg I hope not the whole love triangle thing is kind of on my nerves. I would like to see Cormac with the girl Brenda? the sleazy hunter chick from Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand in Denver with Kitty and Ben I think that could be funny.

I do wonder what will become of Cormac in Kitty and the Silver Bullet it seemed that he was re-thinking his calling. I wonder if he will stop chasing the wolves?

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I don't know if he's going to be in the next book because he has awhile to go on his jail sentence doesn't he??

I would love for him to come back... that always means trouble. haha.

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I wouldn't want Cormac to try to come between Kitty and Ben, but I would like to see him come back soon. Who knows, maybe he can get out on good behavior! He was only sentenced to 4 years, right? And I think that kitty mentioned in the last book that they had been together for a year so far.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Do you think that she is going to skip that far into the future? Unless he gets released after only a year or so of his jail time. Maybe something big will happen and Kitty and Ben will have to break him out of jail to get his help.

I'm just desperate for him to come back. He's entertaining.

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments I know how you guys feel about Cormac. He could always get out of jail early for good behavior or something. In real life all sorts of people get early release for good behavior *cough*(prison overcrowding)*cough*.

I just finished the book today, and I was kind of glad to see that I wasn't the only one who was left nonplussed by the plot. There was way too much going on, and I spend half the time reading and half the time trying to remember what character was what.

I agree with Dawn that the whole marriage scene was a bit cheesy. It also seemed to me to be very underdone. The entire book talks about the wedding, planning the wedding, moving the wedding and the wedding itself seemed to be a bit of an after thought. Did anyone else feel that way?

message 22: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree Liz! Also, I think that if I'd been them, I might have decided to go back home and get married there. Otherwise, for the rest of your life, when you think about when and were you got married, you would think about all of the other horrible things that happened in Vegas! I was really pretty disappointed in this book and hope that the next one works out better! At least we don't have to wait a year.

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Now that you mention it Liz, I do think the wedding scene was an afterthought. Vaughn must have had a huge manuscript and cut it down so much that she forgot to add in the actual wedding scene lol.

The author just seemed distracted, like she didn't know which plot line to focus on. (Because there were too many!!!) and that took away from the wedding portion of the book.

message 24: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments Did anyone else read the preview for Kitty Raises Hell? The only positive point of the multiple plot lines, and overly brief resolution is that it seems that one of them continues into the next book. I kind of agree with Dawn that it really seems like a transition book for the series. Nothing about this book seems to be a stand alone novel.

message 25: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4004 comments Liz all I know about Kitty Raises Hell is that she now has a curse and we have a demon hunter. I am glad that I do not have to wait a year!

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 77 comments No kidding.