Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Martha's 50 Books for 2009

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments I am off to a slow start, having only one book finished thus far - Richard Russo's Bridge of Sighs, which took a long time to read, it seemed. I am now struggling to finish Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson. Hope to be done tomorrow.

message 2: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments As I tell my 24 year old still working on his BFA, "Life is not a race. Those who finish first, don't necessarily finish best, nor do they enjoy the ride.

Take your time and enjoy the journey.

message 3: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Better week this week - finished (finally) Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson. Read Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich, and Winterkill by CJ Box

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Mary Todd wrote: "As I tell my 24 year old still working on his BFA, "Life is not a race. Those who finish first, don't necessarily finish best, nor do they enjoy the ride.

Take your time and enjoy the journey."

Thanks for the encouragement, and of course, you are right. This book just seemed to go very slowly - it was very scandinavian and in the middle of winter, not something I was enjoying. It was a book for my book club, and I found much more to appreciate about it after our discussion.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Your not the only one. Keep it up anyway.

I am only starting my fourth book. I thought this group was such a good idea because I love to read and thought i read a whole lot. But I guess I am not as fast as I thought. I am going to continue but might not make it to 50. I am only averaging 30 or so pages a day.

message 6: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments There was a mad rush in December last year...people who never thought they would do it, DID! All that you read is important and nobody looks down their nose at anybody here (or they will get a middle school teacher mad at them and NOBODY wants THAT!).

message 7: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) Thanks Mary,
Well last night I gave up my second love TV to read. I am 90 pages into my fourth book.

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Don't worry - I'm only just beginning Book #3. Although my first 2 books were 500 & 800 pages so sometimes I think total pages for a year might be a better reflection of accomplishment!

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments There is still LOTS of time - it's only February, right?? And it ISN'T a race, unless it's a race for yourself. I just look at it as something for me, and a good way to keep track of how much I actually read in a given year, even if it ends up being less than 50.

message 10: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Today I can add two more books -
Damage Control by JA Jance - enjoyable, and easy
The Senator's Wife by Sue Miller - darker and more to think about.
So I think that makes 6.

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Adding two more books for 8 total
Angel's Tip by Alafair Burke
Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 9. The Worst Thing I've Done by Ursula Hegi

message 13: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 10. Soldier's Heart by Elizabeth Samet

message 14: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments a flowery lei to your first ten!

message 15: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments A flowery lei - Just what I needed on a wintry February day. Thanks!

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 11. Fudge Cupcake Mystery by Joanne Fluke (really light - and I guessed whodunit!)
12. Scared to Live by Stephen Booth (good English police procedural)

message 17: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 13. The Beach House by Jane Green

message 18: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 14. Better to Rest by Dana Stabenow

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 15. Roommates Wanted by Lisa Jewell. Hallejulah! I have been trying for several weeks to remember the name of this book, really scary that neither title or author would come to me. thanks to the UK Chick Lit group, I found it!!

message 20: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments If ever you have trouble remembering the name of a book again - hop on over to the What's The Name of That Book? group here on Goodreads.

message 21: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Thanks for that tip - I found out about that group after spending time on the internet, wracking my brain and generally feeling like a crazy old lady for a few weeks. Hope I REMEMBER that group for future!

message 22: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 16. Revenge of the Middle Aged Woman by Elizabeth Buchan

message 23: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 17. Blood Trail by CJ Box

message 24: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 18. Sing Them Home by Stephanie Kallos

message 25: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 19. The Peach Cobbler Murder by Joanne Fluke

message 26: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 20. Stalking Susan by Julie Kramer
21. The Weight of Dreams by Jonis Agee

message 27: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 22. Field of Blood by Denise Mina

message 28: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 23. Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks

message 29: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 24. One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus - a great idea for a story!

message 30: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 25. Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell - good Swedish mystery series in the style of Sjowall/Wahloo - loved that series when I was younger.
PS Now I am halfway there!!

message 31: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments

And you were so worried!

message 32: by Martha (last edited May 02, 2009 01:03PM) (new)

Martha | 73 comments Mary Todd wrote: "

And you were so worried!"

Love the graphic!! And the encouragement! Thanks!

message 33: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 26. The Film Club by David Gilmour - interesting true story of a father who lets son quit school providing he will watch 3 movies a week with father. Not sure I agree with idea but intriging concept for teaching about life.

message 34: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Martha wrote: "26. The Film Club by David Gilmour - interesting true story of a father who lets son quit school providing he will watch 3 movies a week with father. Not sure I agree with idea but intriging conc..."

I heard about this book a while ago and have it on my list. Nice to hear another person encouraging the reading of this book.

message 35: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments Molly wrote: "Martha wrote: "26. The Film Club by David Gilmour - interesting true story of a father who lets son quit school providing he will watch 3 movies a week with father. Not sure I agree with idea but..."

It's a quick read; my husband read it today and liked it as well

message 36: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 27. Love the one you're with by Emily Giffin - chick lit but enjoyable

message 37: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 28. Seventh Inning Stretch by Elizabeth Gunn - Minnesota police procedural, enjoyable/would read more
29. Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - loved the first part, and learned to love the other two parts.

message 38: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 30. Stalked by Brian Freeman - a good solid mystery set in Duluth MN
31. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - LOVED IT!

message 39: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 32. Immoral by Brian Freeman - the first of the series - sets everything up

message 40: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 33. The Fourth Man by KO Dahl - Norwegian thriller with lots of scandinavian angst

message 41: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 34. An Unfinished Life by Mark Spragg - really enjoyed it

message 42: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 35. The Fault Tree by Louise Ure

message 43: by Martha (last edited Jun 13, 2009 12:00PM) (new)

Martha | 73 comments 36. FINALLY FINISHED this book!!
Ladies of Liberty by Cokie Roberts - I guess it was good, but it was a struggle - wouldn't have continued (or even picked it up for that matter) if we weren't reading it for my book club.

message 44: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 37. Derailed by James Siegel
38. Life Sentences by Laura Lippman

message 45: by Martha (last edited Jun 24, 2009 03:20PM) (new)

Martha | 73 comments 39. Home Safe: A Novel by Elizabeth Berg,I forgot I read this, found it on my slip from the library - Scary! not her best work, but still worth it,

message 46: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 40. The Pyramid and four other Kurt Wallander mysteries by Henning Mankell - explains how Wallander became Wallendar - very good!

message 47: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 41. One Step Behind by Henning Mankell - this is #7 in the series. Very good, but wish I had thought about the order of the series and read them in order.

message 48: by Martha (last edited Jul 06, 2009 09:55AM) (new)

Martha | 73 comments 42. The Help by Kathryn Stockett, good story that remembers it wasn't very long ago that things were very different, and that in some ways things haven't changed that much still

message 49: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 43. Waiter Rant by Anonymous (Steve Somebody), funny, sad somewhat disturbing stories about being a waiter in an upscale NY restaurant. Modeled after this guy's blog

message 50: by Martha (new)

Martha | 73 comments 44. First Mothers by Bonnie Angelo, biographies of the mothers of all modern presidents from FDR to the First G Bush. Okay.

« previous 1