Reviewing Writing discussion

Short Little Writing Contests That Take Only Five Minutes

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

We'll have a contest to see who can write a short piece about the prompt the best. You have five minutes, and the prompt is...
What w/could you do if you had superpowers?
Go and good luck!

message 2: by Frances (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) I only just noticed this now. T.T

Would it be too late to start?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

No. Go ahead.

message 4: by Frances (last edited Jan 24, 2009 12:31PM) (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) “If I had superpowers, the world would bow to me,” he reckoned. “I would be the great hero who would bring to them salvation, who would promise to them a future. Then when their hopes rise high, when their dreams are a hair width away from realization, I would crush them. Forget the man, who stunned the nations with his nuclear toys, for I would become the Destroyer of Worlds.”

((Eh, it's rather short and the grammar may be skewed, plus it's not exactly me who got superpowers...heh heh. He/I are interchangeable though! ^_____^))

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

That's really good. If only OTHER people would post! (*coughcoughVICTORcough*)

message 6: by Frances (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) Go poke him with a cattleprod. :O

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

How do I do that???

message 8: by Frances (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) No clue...send him evil thoughts! XD

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Good idea.

message 10: by Frances (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) Is Victor even part of this group? O.o

I don't see him on the Members list.

message 11: by Joon (last edited Jan 25, 2009 10:58AM) (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments Oh well. Just go bug him anyway. My turn.

If I had superpowers, then I would use it to help the world. I wouldn't use it for evil reasons.I would help the charity and the handicapped. I would try to get rid of all the evil in the world and all the harmful weapons that harms the world. I would get rid of the bad people in the world, like terroists and dictators. I would try to help lead in the world technology to help purify the world and make it a safe place to live. This is what I would do if I had superpowers.

Yours was good Frances.

message 12: by Frances (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) I like yours. =)

message 13: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments Thanks.

message 14: by P (new)

P (preethib) | 8 comments "But then again..." he wondered aloud, "What would people do with superpowers like mine?"
"Obviously take over the world, plan domination...trivial stuff like that." his friend commented dryly.
"Ah, yes...while we use our powers in useful ways...helping the people...for instance." he glanced at his companion. A few seconds of tension built, then they burst out laughing.
"Helping people fall at out feet...you mean. There's no way I'm letting these powers go to waste like that." The speaker scooched his chair backwards and stood up.
"What are we waiting for? There's a whole world out there just waiting for us to seize it. Are you coming?"
"Yeah, yeah, sure. But wait.I want to do something first..."

message 15: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments That is also very good.

message 16: by P (new)

P (preethib) | 8 comments thanks

message 17: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments Your welcome.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, Frances won! everyone congratulate her!

message 20: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments Very good job Frances.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, who wants to do another one???

message 22: by P (new)

P (preethib) | 8 comments me! Congratulations Frances!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay. You wanna make up a prompt? I kind of want to participate in at least ONE...b/c they're so fun! If not, I don't mind...but you can get creative.

message 24: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments What is it going to be on?

message 25: by P (new)

P (preethib) | 8 comments ummm..if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? And why?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Grandpa grunted in protest as I placed his lunch in front of him: Italian sub, extra pickles, no tomatoes or mustard, as little lettuce as possible, and oozing salad dressing.
"What now?" I sighed, wiping my hands on my pants. This was the kind of thing that made me want to fly away to Hawaii or something, and dance after a long day of surfing. Aloha, dudes!
Another grunt brought me back. I sighed, fetched a beer with beads of condensation on it, popped the cap, and gave it to him.
One swig made me wince. Maybe Paris instead--a first class trip to the City of Love...yeah, right. I'm about as romantic as a pint of creamed spinach. Oversized glasses, a mouth full of braces and feet the size of an elephant's blessed behind. The words Four-eyed Metalmouth ran through my head.
I sighed once more, rubbing the aches on my back.
Hawaii would be good.

message 27: by Frances (last edited Feb 08, 2009 03:34PM) (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) When you raise a pet, they tell you to give it space, never poke at it in its cage, or else it will never feel as if it has something of its own. Yet at the same time, you must keep a leash, remind it of what will please you, what won't.

"My pet," you always call me. "My dear, darling pet."

I would giggle, eye you coyly, play along, because it meant all the world to me, to have you acknowledge my presence. Indeed, a stupid girl I was, stupid to have allowed you to take my world in exchange for superficial love. Lying here, trapped in my own home, fettered to the floor, thinking of all the things not to do should I wish for you to keep me, I realize how even the air here smothers my heart until the cadence is irregular, sluggish, dying.

So when you see my old collar tacked to the door along with a note telling you, "Farewell, I've taken the next plane to elsewhere," please don't blame me. I've already packed my bags with clothes and essential commodities, written letters to all the friends I haven't spoken to because of you. You can't catch me anymore. I've already dreamt of faraway lands, rolling velds with cerulean skies, with air fresh and wind-swept. Mountains dot the horizon with their silhouettes, and the clouds oh so palpable are painted with dappled butterfly wings. Even if I should never find such a place, I would chase after it for the rest of eternity. I would be anywhere in the world, away from you.

When you come home to an open door and empty room, remember that advice about keeping pets complacent, and realize that that was your first mistake, to ever consider me a pet.

(Sorry it was rather long.

Yours was really creative, Sarah. =) Enjoyable to read and shows a lot of the character's voice.)

message 28: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Hoopes | 5 comments There is a place, a secret place, a magical place called the Mystic Glade. It is in the heart of the forest in the mountains up north. Set upon a dragon node. A point in the Earth where the energy lines converge. In this place, the Mystic Glade, the trees speak with you, they whisper their song on the wind and tell of a time when humans had not overrun the planet. In the Mystic Glade you can cross a portal into a distant world, a world of magic and mystery, a world of exquisite beauty and wonder. Running through the Mystic Glade is a staircase lined with Corriander that leads to a giant Ash tree. I want to be in that Ash tree, climbing up through its huge branches, looking down at the fire pit as the embers of the dying fire glow like the eye of the dragon. Yes, that's where I'll be...

message 29: by Frances (last edited Feb 09, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) Love the imagery in yours, and the concept behind it. =) (Though some of the sentence fragments were a bit jarring to me.)

message 30: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Hoopes | 5 comments (Though some of the sentence fragments were a bit jarring to me.)"

yeah, sorry about that...5 minutes doesn't leave much time for editing :)

message 31: by Frances (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) ^^ 'Twas still an amazing bit of writing.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow. I am SO gonna lose...
but good job, guys! (everyone starts clapping)

message 33: by P (new)

P (preethib) | 8 comments Ok, Aaron won! Congratulations!

message 34: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Hoopes | 5 comments wow, thanks! you are very kind.
That was quite fun, let's do another one....

message 35: by P (new)

P (preethib) | 8 comments ok...someone come up with a topic!

message 36: by Frances (last edited Feb 11, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Frances (parentheticalnote) I'll come up with one this time.

Your life's forfeit could save a hundred people. You do not get a choice though, others have decided that you will be killed/executed/experimented on/whatever so those one hundred people will live. What's going on in your head? What's going on through the decision makers' heads?

(I'd say a good criterion for this would be a clear, original image of the mentality on either side. If not original, make it compelling--i.e. focus more on the reactions than the scenario's details, though both would be lovely.)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

First the anger came--fierce and hot that made me want to scream, to hurt people. Made me want to smash and crush and hurt so badly it made me frightened. The first night at the lab, I cried. I cried for my Ruby, my Irish setter. I cried for my fish. I cried for the last pizza I had ever eaten, the last words I had said to my family. I cried because I was a freak. An abomination. A monstrosity.
My eyes had become swollen and squeezed my eyes down, forcing me to sleep. But I didn't want to sleep. I wanted to cry forever, until someone comforted me. But most of all, I wanted to die. So badly, I wanted to end this wretched life on this wretched planet.
My body was durable. It could withstand thousands of degrees above and below zero. It could be squeezed into a tiny jar and back out again with so much as a bruise. It--I--could withstand radioactive substances and toxic fumes so powerful a normal person would melt into a little human-sized puddle within a few minutes. (Quite painful, if you ask me)
Then the doctors came--dozens of them. Cameras and microphones were shoved into my face, trying to welcome me into the media. I was taken to countless labs, checked and probed in cold rooms.
One of the doctors said I was the answer to all their wildest dreams. I could banish the Fury, cast him out, destroy him. But, he had said. I wasn't powerful enough. It might hurt me, or worse, eliminate me. He used such funny words! Eliminate and hurt definitely didn't belong in the same sentence. He had said that they would have to stretch my abilities with a chemical(it had a name so long I couldn't remember it for my life) but I had a 13 % chance of living. I touched my swollen eyes and held back a sob. I didn't want to do this....have them stuff me with chemicals and go rid the world of the Fury...the Fury! I had heard he baked his prisoners in gas and buried the rest alive. I shuddered and hugged myself, then stared at the ceiling in a daze.

Doctor Neal Woodson pulled his coat on. His heart fluttered in his chest like an anxious hummingbird. Finally, the Fury obliterated! This could just be the greatest accomplishment of his entire career. He would be legendary...and Emily, she'd be rich! She's be famous! Thousands would ask for her autograph, her family would be rolling in cash, rolling! He barely had enough money at times to pay his own bills.
The Fury would be gone! The Rebellion would spread everywhere, lives rebuilt, houses refurnished...He stepped with a sprightly step down the hallway. All it took was one little vial of nitrates and all that good stuff...Foster had prepared that with great care. His hand clenched the handle to Emily's room, trying not to shake with excitement. Surely she'd say yes. Who wouldn't?
"Emily?" he said, smiling. "The needle is almost ready. If you'll just--"
A shadow moved in the dark room.
"NO."
"Oh, I see. I'll just wait outside if you're too tired--" What was a few hours? Soon The Fury would be gone! thought Doctor Wood.
"I mean, no. I'm not going to have you inject me with whatever poisons you have in store. I don't want to assassinate the Fury. I don't want to. I DON'T WANT TO!" screamed Emily.
Doctor Wood took a step back, abashed. "But, sweetie--"
"I said no, Dad."
Then she slammed the door in his face.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh no!!! This group is dying.
COME ON EVERYBODY LET'S DO THIS!

message 39: by Nikalina (new)

Nikalina | 6 comments is it too late???

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

hurry!!! engage in some grouply activities!

message 41: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments Like what?

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

hmmm. let's do another contest.

message 43: by Joon (new)

Joon (JoonChang) | 51 comments What is the excerpt?

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

ok.....the prompt for this Short Little Writing Contest That Takes Only Five Minutes is....

Write about an embarassing moment in your life.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Go to SLWCTTOFM Number One for more info!!

message 46: by Jin (new)

Jin | 62 comments SLWCTTOFM??? what's that? and i don't want people to know my embarassing moment...

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Maybe I should have changed it. It ended in April...