Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > The Bourne Series

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments The only movie I havent seen out the series is the Supremecy but other than that the others are great what do you think about them?

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) Supremecy was the 2nd. It was really good, too! i loved all of these movies, and no it's not bcuz Matt Damond was in it(maybe...lol), but i loved the fighting, action, suspence, yeah pretty much everything. I alos think these movies were well filmed... i loved it when the zoomed out and in on the good parts, and the "horror" music in it was really funny to hear! Over all, it was fantastic!

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4537 comments I liked the first one well enough, missed the second one, and enjoyed the third one a good deal. Well made, shaky camera and cuisinart editing and all. Kind of a fantasy, though. I mean all that stuff about US Intelligence officers being held accountable for their actions? Jeez, even Tolkien would have drawn the line at that.

message 4: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments My dad hates the last one but I thought it was awesome I like how in the third one he finds out who he really is and is like so intelligent.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) Yeah, the third one was my favorite! I think the plot was better, too.

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 302 comments I got turned off in the second by the killing off of everything Ludlum had, especially the French wife, and basically rewriting the whole story. They should have called it Bourne Again or something.

message 7: by Phillip (last edited Jan 25, 2009 09:38PM) (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments i never saw the third one. it seemed like the first two knew what they were about: delivering a good, solid action film. the plot dynamics are always (appropriately?) blurry - it's not like you can go to the bank on any of the scripts in terms of reality. but if you want a good solid action film with characters that are nice to look at, these are probably worth watching.

marc - never read the books - had nothing to compare the films with...

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc (AuthorGuy) | 302 comments Bourne's wife Marie and her family are one of the constants in his life, and one of his few ties to a normal life. In every book she's his support or his motivation, but they just killed her off to make room for the blonde American agent. I believe there were other characters that played through the whole series that also got killed off, but she was the big one for me. Without her it was just another action movie.

message 9: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments Phillip u never saw the first one?! tisk tisk

message 10: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments ariel, i saw the first one - my post says that i didn't see the newest one.

message 11: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments oh oops I ment the third one lolz so why didnt you see the third?

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments uhhhhhh..........don't know.

message 13: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4537 comments Philip, the third one is actually pretty good. Worth a look. One of the movies that really gets the whole Hand-Held Camera thing down right.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments thanks for the words, tom - i'll rent it. i was kind of wondering how it all wrapped up. just watched "the departed" last night (saw it in the theaters, but wanted to check it out again), and matt damon isn't bad in it...but he's overshadowed by his counterpart di caprio. it seems like one of the better scorcese movies to come along in a while.

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4537 comments I thought Damon and DiCaprio were both terrific in THE DEPARTED, even as I really disliked the movie. I just got bored with all the double and triple and quadruple crosses. And Mark Wahlberg's performance, dear God, what was Scorsese thinking to allow that?

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments wahlberg had all these great lines, but he was so one-dimensional in it...

message 17: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments no wate its Damon not Wahlberg hes in Planet of the apes.

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments mark wahlberg is in "the departed", that's the film tom and i were talking about....not the bourne films.

message 19: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments oh right right I wanted to see that movie

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) What is the departed about? I think i've heard of it.

message 21: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments Its like Mark Whelburg is this teacher and something like that I think you know what other movie I wanted to see was Max Payne

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) I've never heard of that either...

message 23: by Phillip (last edited Jan 27, 2009 07:53PM) (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments no, "the departed" is martin scorcese's latest film. it focuses on two young men, just out of the academy - one becomes a detective (matt damon), one becomes an undercover agent (leonardo di caprio). di caprio goes undercover to try to help bring jack nicolson to justice (he's head of the largest irish crime syndicate family in boston). mark wahlberg and martin sheen are di caprio's supervisors, and alec baldwin is matt damon's. matt damon grew up in the neighborhood and is nicolson's "snitch" within the police department.

it's a great cast, and depending on who you talk to, it's a darn good crime thriller...i think it's one of the better films that scorcese has made in the past decade, but i'm not sure that's saying all that much. i was a big fan of his early work, but the past ten years, i think his work has been uneven (for me anyway). i wasn't crazy about the aviator, and the gangs of new york was just too over the top for me. i'm having a hard time remembering what else he's made these past ten years. i also think it is one of the best nicolson performances in decades.

message 24: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments Max Payne has Matt Damon in it and hes like this guy who fights demons with like magic powers or somethin but its the cool way he does it

message 25: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4537 comments I think MAX PAYNE had Mark Wahlberg in it, not Matt Damon.

message 26: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments no hear let me look it up

message 27: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments ok yeah I get Matt Damon and Mark Whelburg mixed up sry bout that

message 28: by Tom (new)

Tom | 4537 comments I did it for you. It has Mark Wahlberg.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0467197/

message 29: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments oh I did it too ha ha yeah to me if you put Mark Whalberg and Matt Damon up close to each other, they look almost alike. Thats why i get them confused

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) OMG if it has Matt Damond and leonardo di caprio in it, i want to see it!!!!! The story looks good, too though!

message 31: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (HeroesFreak) | 254 comments I KNOW RIGHT THEY BOTH ARE GREAT ACTORS!!! oh but I just found out that Mark Whalberg is in it

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) Who's he, what movies has he been in?

message 33: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments whoa, i wonder if i'm ever going to come down from this....

message 34: by Cutiepie (new)

Cutiepie | 21 comments he ws in that movie frm a cpl yrs ago, rmember?

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (Bella) yeah, that one... huh? LOL!

message 36: by Geoffrey (last edited Jul 18, 2010 03:00PM) (new)

Geoffrey | 209 comments There are so many writers of suspense mysteries and spy novels whose characters infer what others` motivations are from the flimsiest evidence that watching the Bourne conspiracy, one sees a most intelligent bit of writing. The characters are intelligent enough to realize what the game is, who is playing what side after sufficient information becomes available to them and their making intelligent plans accordingly.
This is a brilliant film that takes into full account the true character of each player, his role in the plot and the realistic interaction he has with each antagonist.

message 37: by Tom (last edited Jul 20, 2010 06:35AM) (new)

Tom | 4537 comments I saw the first one on video and liked it well enough, didn't see the sequel just because I wasn't particularly interested, and saw the third one and enjoyed it thoroughly, one of the few times that kind of shaky-cam stuff really works well, I think. The film did wind up being a too self-congratulatory for me. The ending tied things up a little too tidily---

SPOILERS -- BEWARE!!!!!!!!

I mean really, when has a high-ranking official of the American Intelligence Community ever been held responsible for their actions, much less been led away in handcuffs? That's a fantasy that JRR Tolkien would dismiss as being just too far freaking out.

message 38: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 9611 comments i never saw the third one, but i thought the first two were pretty solid action flicks - not trying to change the world, just good entertaining movies.