Crandall's Christmas Book Club discussion

Our first read

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Crandall (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Crandall | 11 comments Mod
Hey everybody,
I chose Angel of Repose by Wallace Stegner because of all of our suggestions it had the highest ratings on Goodreads and it won the Pulitzer Prize. It may be a little ambitious (576 pages), but I believe in us. I wont be able to start reading until I finish the book I am reading now. Since I am in RI, that will probably be very soon. If anyone has any major objections please let me know. Otherwise, go get it! Merry Christmas!!!

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments okay lets get rollin'...i gotta get it before i leave on Sat.!

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments PS. they are going for .67 cents on Amazon! Purchase it there!

message 4: by Lacy (new)

Lacy | 5 comments Do we have any sort of goals for when we should have read the first few chapters, etc? I'm a slow-ish reader so it would be nice for me to have some mile posts to go by, and I think that would really help our conversation - no one will ruin the ending when the rest of us are only on page 50. We'll only talk about what's happened up to the point designated... just a thought.

message 5: by Crandall (new)

I definitely want to have some sort of pacing guidelines. Going by chapters per week seems like a good idea, but I dont have the book yet because I am snowed in. Hopefully I will be able to get it tomorrow morning, and get an idea for how long the chapters are. If anyone has it already, feel free to make the call. Everyone try to at least get the book by the end of the weekend.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin Sullivan | 9 comments just bought mine...im having it sent to NY...I can start reading it there!

Charlotte_Sutphin | 2 comments I just bought mine as well. I'll have it in 2 - 6 days!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 4 comments I read this years ago (15?), and just remember broad generalities. It's divided into parts, which will make it easy to set a reading calendar. Part 1, to p. 65; Part 2, to p.150; Part 3, to p. 190; Part 4, to p.300; Part 5, to p. 340; Part 6, to p.360; Part 7, to p. 440, Part 8, to p. 525; Part 9, to p. 555.

message 9: by Crandall (new)

I just went and got it. I apologize for calling it "Angel of Repose," because the real title is "Angle of Repose." I guess our first chunk should be Part I. What are people's thoughts on pacing?

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Fadeley | 1 comments Wow...I've been out of the loop. When are we going to start reading? I'm in the middle of a book right now, but I'll put it on hold if we're starting.

Love,
Beth

message 11: by Crandall (new)

I thought you were just snubbing us. We are reading Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. I am pretty far into it, but I know some people haven't even gotten it in the mail yet. You can make comments after you finish each part.