Sylvia Plath Lovers discussion

What are your favorite quotes of Sylvia Plath?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy Mitchell (bonjouramylauren) | 1 comments "The worst enemy to creativity is self doubt"

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (diwataluna) | 1 comments "Let me live, love and say it well in good sentences."

This is a motto for any writer indeed!

I also personally relate to, "Every woman adores a fascist." Feminist would raise hell with this quote but I think it has such emotional depth, like an inquiry into women's minds and emotions.

message 3: by Alice (new)

Alice | 1 comments “Death must be so beautiful. To lie in the soft brown earth, with the grasses waving above one's head, and listen to silence. To have no yesterday, and no to-morrow. To forget time, to forgive life, to be at peace.”

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly (msmollybeth) | 1 comments "Perhaps when we find ourselves wanting everything, it is because we are dangerously close to wanting nothing."

I often find myself wanting too many things at one time, so much so to the point it feels like I will never attain anything. Sometimes it feels as if all the desires I have flurrying around inside me are feeble attempts at filling this void of my own short-comings. Being at that point, when you feel so frustrated and helpless and empty-handed, is a frightening and numbing place at which to be.

It's a comfort to have read Sylvia Plath and to have learned anything about her own life. Her words, her stories are a reminder that you're not alone - even when no one notices how much you're "stewing in your own sour air."

message 5: by Juno (new)

Juno | 6 comments "And by the way, everything in live is writeable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is selfdoubt."
<3

message 6: by Moises (new)

Moises Sheinberg (moyshein) | 3 comments I am
I am
I am

message 7: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda K | 2 comments I've always loved "If you expect nothing of anybody, you are never disappointed."

message 8: by Cliff (last edited Sep 28, 2013 09:10AM) (new)

Cliff Hays (cliffhays) | 6 comments Impression of a Movie Theatre :
"I looked around me at all the rows of rapt little heads with the same silver glow on them at the front and same black shadow on them at the back, and they looked like nothing more or less than a lot of stupid moon-brains."
- The Bell Jar

Existential Realization :
"Nothing is real except the present, and already, I feel the weight of centuries smothering me. Some girl a hundred years ago once lived as I do. And she is dead. I am the present, but I know I, too, will pass. The high moment, the burning flash, come and are gone, continuous quicksand. And I don't want to die."
- Unabridged Journals (1950)

"Time is a great machine of iron bars
That drains eternally the milk of stars."
- from the poem Sonnet: To Time