Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > Fight Club

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments I just saw this movie last night with my dad and thoguht it was fanominal... I really think that Edward Norton and Brad Pit really pulled it off. To me Brad Pitt seem like he was Skitsaprhenic or something but over all it was an awesome movie!!!

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10545 comments i loved the move, but hated the "big bang" ending. brad pitt and edward norton were meant to be two halves of the same character...one of the definitions of schizophrenia.

message 3: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments the movie was amazing I love the first two rules of fight club. First rule, you dont talk about fight club, and the second rule is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5336 comments Not a film I liked very much at all. Just big and loud and ugly. Pointless. Well made and well acted, though: this film has Brad Pitt's finest single performance. Just what was the point? It thinks it is something serious about Men and Fascism or something, but it is a terribly confused and confusing film. It has a serious case of Delusions of Relevance.

I saw the big surprise coming very early (Helena Bonham Carter's reaction to Edward Norton in one scene got me thinking, and I put two and two together pretty quickly), and had to sit there writhing as the giggly teenage girls in the audience all gasped in surprise at the big reveal.

message 5: by Jill (last edited Jan 24, 2009 02:35PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments I loved this movie. I loved the visual aspects of the film. I loved how it was directed. I think the pointlessness of the story was one of the things that I liked the most. Whether it was deliberate on the part of the director (or the writer, for that matter), I don't know (I've never read Palahniuk, though I plan to), but the way the material was handled was completely gripping. I didn't care whether or not the story had some deeper meaning, I just cared that it was impeccable in its crafting, in its pace, and in its energy. I couldn't possibly imagine being bored while watching that film.

And, of course, Helena Bonham Carter was a goddess.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10545 comments word on helena bonham carter - why isn't she working more?

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5336 comments She had a major role in Burton's magnificent SWEENEY TODD just last year. But point taken, she's one of the actors I'd like to see more of.

message 8: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments Tom I cant believe you didnt like Fight Club and oh she was also in Harry Potter and The Order of the Pheonix, she played Bellatrix

message 9: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I've always been cold to Fincher's films except ZODIAC. FIGHT CLUB reminded me of a modern allegory of violence in the vein of Kubrick's A CLOCKWORK ORANGE...only not nearly as good. The trick camera effects were superfluous and masked a narrative that, to me, is a one-trick pony. Destruction is a form of art but FIGHT CLUB, while definately not on my list of worst films, makes my list of most overrated. Kudos to Carter and Norton, thought they were both engaging.

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5336 comments Alex, agreed. Fincher's films, except ZODIAC, are just not terribly interesting. Generally well made, but more concerned with style over substance, except for his splendid ZODIAC. That SEVEN thing, and FIGHT CLUB, well. I lost interest in SEVEN when I thought for a minute about which Deadly Sins hadn't been enacted yet, and the whole movie kind of fell into place, as did FIGHT CLUB when I got the whole schizo thing.

Maybe they're worth a repeat viewing, and I'm being too harsh on them.

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Alex, good observations. It's funny that you mention A Clockwork Orange. The book Fight Club is intended as a dark comedy and the movie has only some of that insight moreso around the scenes with Darla.

I think that Fincher took on a difficult project and that he did a very good job. I felt ripped off on the ending.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10545 comments fincher directed zodiac? i didn't realize it was the same director. i really liked zodiac - i went into it expecting...well, i don't know what i expected, but it really had the feel of the period and i just thought the whole things was really well done. it was great how it was sort of left unresolved, and the psychological interplay between killer, police and journalist was great.

i still haven't seen sweeny todd.

message 13: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments nither have I I really like Johnny Depp and the actress that was in fight club whats her name again?

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10545 comments helena bonham carter

message 15: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments ah yeah shes good

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) I adore her, I wish I could have her babies.

message 17: by Anna (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 465 comments She's Tim Burton's wife and played main roles in few of his movie. I think she even dubbed Corpse Bride in Corpse Bride.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam | 548 comments HBC was in the latest terminator ... she pops up in all sorts of places ...

Fight Club is right up there on my favourites list (if I had one that is) ... i've watched it countless times

the two main dudes were both really good & HBC was too cool ... but I loved Meatloaf's character - and the way he pulled it off

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10545 comments sorry christy, i'm first in line to have helena bonham carter's babies.....

message 20: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) Well, you are one organ ahead of me but I have the will.

I will have my way.

message 21: by Katy-Del (new)

Katy-Del Phillip wrote: "sorry christy, i'm first in line to have helena bonham carter's babies..... "

Actually, I think Tim Buton was first in line...

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10545 comments i would have thought that since i'm male and cannot conceive a child, it was obvious i was making with the jokes...apparently it wasn't obvious at all.

message 23: by SLIM SHADY (last edited Jul 20, 2009 12:55PM) (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments Phillip wrote: "sorry christy, i'm first in line to have helena bonham carter's babies..... "

ha ha she was alright in this movie.. I would jump for Brad Pitts or Edward Norton's lolz.