Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Sports Rivalries!

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Gus and I started, ahem, debating the Duke/North Carolina basketball rivalry. Here are a couple other national rivalries and where I stand on them...some of them are regional, specific to the midwest, so they may not be as important to you. I also want to point out people can get QUITE passionate about rivalries, to the point where non-sports people get scared, but sports rivalries are left at the door or end after the game ends. It's all in (usually) fun.

1. Yankees/Red Sox...I used to be pro-Red Sox, but now both teams are essentially what the Yankees used to be, so I don't care.
2. Cubs/White Sox...White Sox. No doubt. I hate the Cubs and I'm raising my kids as White Sox/Brewers fans. It's a family responsibility.
3. Bears/Packers...strictly a Bears fan, although I can tolerate the Packers now that the redneck diva otherwise known as Brett Favre is gone.

Comments? Rivalries important to you and your city/region? Sports teams you hate? Rivalries on which you've chosen a side? I know Sally said something about the Red Wings in another thread, but hockey...does that even count anymore?

:)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

2. Cubs/White Sox...White Sox. No doubt. I hate the Cubs and I'm raising my kids as White Sox/Brewers fans. It's a family responsibility.
3. Bears/Packers...strictly a Bears fan, although I can tolerate the Packers now that the redneck diva otherwise known as Brett Favre is gone.

Well you are wrong on #2 Obviously the Cubs are a far superior organization and any kind of family man wouldn't torture his kids with the other team from Chicago.

And strike two with #3, Packers all the way, and I have felt the same way about the Bears since Ditka left.

Cubs/Cardinals is another rivalry right up there with the Yankees/Boston which I agree with you wholeheartedly about.

message 3: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) While I will never put anyone down for being excited about anything sports related, for me it's all much ado about nothing. I think there's a gene that I missed out on or something.

message 4: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 24, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Hockey counts! ! ! !! ! ! It counts, by god! And it is the only fun sport in the winter where you can go sit all day and drink 7 dollar beers and watch people.

Here are the regional rivalries of which I am aware, not that I'm passionate in any way:

Colorado Avalance/Detroit Redwings. (actually I'll stop listing cities because I'll flub up)
Broncos/Raiders
Local:
Collins Lambkins/Rocky Impalas
CSU thinks they have a rivalry with CU, but really CUs rivalry is with Texas when it comes to football.

Hm. Lame list.

*steps away from the thread*

message 5: by Cyril (new)

Cyril Celtics-Lakers was the only rivalry I could get into, and that was years ago.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) The 3 best rivalries are not even North American sports rivalries

- Barcelona vs. Real Madrid, Spain - perhaps the best rivalry in the world. Much of this rivalry has to do with regional pride (Spain vs. Catalonia) and the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War; Real was Franco's team, Barcelona the not-so-loyal opposition.
- River Plate vs. Boca Juniors, Argentina - A lot can be said about with whom your loyalties lie with. My relatives in Argentina tell me marriages have busted up because of this rivalry. My loyalties lie with River Plate; Boca Juniors are the team for scumbags and dog rapists. Seriously.
- Celtic vs Rangers, Scotland - This is a blood feud that makes Shiite vs. Sunni seem like a friendly game of flag football.

Right now, the only rivalry in the US of A that's keeping me up at night is between the Mets and the Phillies. Nothing will make me happier than to see the Mets stomp the shit out of the Phillies this coming season.

The best rivalries in American sports today:

- Yankees vs Red Sox
- Mets vs Phillies
- Red Wings vs Avalanche
- Duke vs UNC
- Ohio State vs Michigan

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Duke vs NC only seems to be a rivalry that is known outside of NC in basketball, and possibly Lacrosse.

Chelsea vs Liverpool is a good rivalry but not as good as those Gus listed.

message 8: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yeah, the Mets/Phillies people really seem to hate each other. This surprised me.

message 9: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments When both teams are good the fangs come out.

message 10: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Jimmy Rollins started the Mets/Phillies rivalry with his talk. Of course, he backed it up. Fucker.

Cole Hamels ran his mouth recently about how the Mets have choked. Keep talking, dick smack...

message 11: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments I love Cole Hamels. Then again, I'm from Pennsylvania... Gotta support your local team.

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Cole Hamels ... what an unfortunate name.

message 13: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) Cole Hamels is a cunt.

Yeah, I said it.

message 14: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments The only sports game/event I follow, EVER... is the LSU/Razorbacks football game on the Friday after Thanksgiving. I root for the Tigers, but really, I'm okay with either outcome - a Razorback win or a Tiger win.

(Geaux Tigahs!)

message 15: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments "Cole hamels" sounds like a cunt. I'm sure it's just the aural similarity to "camel toes," though, that makes me think that...

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I prefer rivalries between countries, acted out in the sports arena. I was in Germany during the Euro Cup last year. I was there for a wedding, but all festivities stopped every evening when the match came on, regardless of where we were. Germany/Turkey was particularly charged, since there are so many Turkish immigrants in Germany. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/spo...

I love the rugby rivalry between South Africa and Australia and New Zealand, as well. All of SA and NZ stop for rugby(I was also there for my sister-in-law's wedding, in South Africa, which had to be delayed until a test ended because even the priest was watching).

message 17: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) That Germany-Turkey match was the best match of Euro '08. The Turks had a habit of staging late-game comebacks - they snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in their previous 3 matches - but, alas, they lost to the Germans in the final minute.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Now his name sounds like "camel holes" which is very cunt-esque.

message 19: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) A couple more rivalries that have popped up in the news lately:

- Roger Federer vs. Rafael Nadal: exactly what tennis needs, the kind of one-on-one rivalry it hasn't seen since Sampras/Agassi or, the best one ever, Borg/McEnroe. The last 2 championship matches between Federer and Nadal have been tennis at its' finest.

- USA vs Mexico: if anyone saw the WC qualifying match the other night, you've noticed the rivalry between the US and Mexico is a chippy, testy affair that's getting ready to spill into full-blown violence.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, that was on the verge of getting violent, but what was that guy thinking running into Howard? I also think that Landon Donovan dives way too easily and too much.

message 21: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I saw a little bit of this on ESPN. I was suprised we've whooped Mexico's butt over the last few years. Is this one of those rivalries where one entity cares more about it than another? I get the feeling this is a major story in Mexico when it wasn't even a lead story on ESPN.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments from what i have seen in my travels, anytime anyone in another country beats us it is a HUGE deal. no matter what sport it is in. people are hero's for beating americans in most places.

message 23: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) This story's a huge one in Mexico, because they can't believe their neighbor from the north is beating them like a gong.

Speaking of ESPN, if they want to earn the rights to broadcast international matches from England and Spain - they're currently negotiating with the English Premier League to broadcast weekly matches here in the States - they need to do a better job of promoting the sport on ESPN. Frankly, they do a lousy job of it. Not to mention the US-Mexico game was overshadowed by some dude named A-Fraud.

message 24: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments most people have to watch Manchester United via the internet. not that i care about Futbol but it is bigger than some people think.

c'mon gus, dirty laundry is news baby. 4 student athletes could score a perfect score on the SAT's, a WNBA player could donate a kidney to a stranger and a cyclist could give all his money to a homeless shelter and the news of the day would be a .212 hitting utility player for the Kansas City Royals tested positive for steroids

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What's the WNBA?

:)

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments LOLOLOLOLOLOL i knew going there would chink my credibility as a sports guy. c'mon, was making a point RA. my son and i always make WNBA jokes. such as at their all-star game they have the "unassisted lay-up contest"

message 27: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Haha

message 28: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 13, 2009 11:21AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ah, I wasn't hitting on your credibility, Kevin...just the WNBA's popularity.

Check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGI7R...

Although I do watch sometimes...they do have their fundamentals down.

message 29: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 1009 comments Hahaha

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments oh man oh man oh man. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH i have already sent this link to my son. wow, that is funny

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.