Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

MGR [archived] > Pleasure Unbound-FEB- Chap. 1-6 discussions-week 1

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Start here.

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Ok This book is REALLY hard for me to get into and I dont know why!

It came so highly recommended and I am just finding myself bleh with it.

First off.. the sex in the hospital.. with the woman (aegis) who is hurt/healing.

COME ON! Really? He couldnt hold his dick off until she got better or was 100% in her right mind?

There are so many elements that are thrown at you that I am so confused and I think that is whats putting me off about this book so far.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

lol... i haven't started it yet.. but heheh sex in a Hospital... hehe
he sounds like all men.. horny..

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments LOL, I'm quite enjoying it. I'm not good at reading multiple books at a time though, so I'm just reading straight through in order to get through all of my challenge books. It's definitely a steamy read, but the characters and the demon world are interesting. Stacia Kane's Personal Demons is the only other book I've read that focuses on demons, so I'm enjoying the character change.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) HAHAHA Tricia "He couldnt hold his dick off until she got better"

I got into it right away plus he is an incubus so I guess when the brother started it and then she wanted it that was all she wrote.

message 6: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Right Dawn I thought the same thing. Plus he was in his mating faze. Wouldn't take much more to push him over.

I am enjoying these first few chapters. I love the imagery the author creates. The characters don't need much description but leave a imprint. There is a certain element to the book you have to like or be feeling at the moment I guess?

message 7: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

QUESTION: Did you like the main characters within the first 10 pages (or first description of them)? Yes or No.

Yes. I immediately was able to enjoy this story a it's characters fully.

message 8: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

QUESTION: As a demon-themed book, would you say that the world Larrissa Ione has created is better/worse or just perfect. Compared to other novels with the same theme?

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) At the back of the book, there's a few "letters" from authors about their books, and one of them is actually from Larissa Ione about Pleasure unbound, and she said the inspiration for this book came from her love of ER, Grey's Anatomy and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I really liked that, and the book seems to be a good incorporation of that so far. (I'm only, like, 2 chapters in.. maybe 3?)

I'll second Dawn and say the sex scene didn't bother me, because he's an incubus. He's a sex demon. I really don't think he could control himself. And I thought it was kind of refreshing for the main characters to actually get it on right away, instead of teasing it forever. It was also refreshing that she didn't climax immediately... that's a new one.

To answer Kenjii's great discussion question, so far this book is very different from any other demon themed books I've read. In fact, every series or book I've read that had demon characters has had a very different take on them. I'm thinking of J. Frank's Nightwalker series vs. the demons in Kresley Cole's series, vs. the demons in Jenna Black's Morgan Kingsley series which aren't even corporeal. They're all so different I can't even really compare them.

message 10: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Feb 03, 2009 10:10AM) (new)

I am actually almost done with this book (I wont spoil anything tho!) and I am finding I cant put it down!

So while I was slow at getting into it, I believe it gets better.

That said, there are SO many elements in this book that I think its just too much. Too many names and incidents trying to be squeezed into the story that I think it takes away from the main story of the book. (and am not even talking about the sex).

Oh and the fact that she cant cum is indeed very unique!

The sex doesn't bother me in books, far from it.. I just didn't really understand the incubus thing until way after that scene. She could have elaborated more on it before that scene came about I think lol.

And regarding the question well I have never read other demon books so I dunno! lol

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (darkheart) | 168 comments LOL, I finished it! I enjoyed it and will definitely be buying the second book when it comes out in March - as I want to know more about Shade, and then in April it's Wraith, who I really want to know about (I'm a sucker for the tortured ones). And happily, I just checked her site and discovered excerpts for both.

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yes I REALLY want to learn more about Shade as well!

message 13: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Tricia I didn't want to stop reading either but I have other BOM selections to read this week too. Pleasure Unbound was one that had my most excited and I am glad I was hooked right away.

message 14: by new_user (last edited Feb 03, 2009 04:27PM) (new)

new_user I think it definitely has some ER elements, and while it takes some time to get into the world, I think it hooks you once you do.

IMO, this book kind of sets a bar for demon books the way Ward did for vampires. The Nightwalkers series is one of the few PNRs also starring demons, and I think this book is much more compelling for modern readers; it's easier to relate to these characters and the style is accessible, not archaic or flowery.

I liked both Shade and Wraith. I thought she wrote them both as individuals, flawed but likable. They're not copies of their brother, but they're not really archetpes either, "the funny one," etc.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) QUESTION: Did you like the main characters within the first 10 pages (or first description of them)? Yes or No.

Yep I was hook right away

QUESTION: As a demon-themed book, would you say that the world Larrissa Ione has created is better/worse or just perfect. Compared to other novels with the same theme?

That is kind of hard for me to answer I mean I think this is the most complex demon world I have seen and it reminds me of the Divine Comedey with Dante's circle. It seems like there are layers and within the layers they kind of get worse the deeper you go. I also think it is interesting that when he demons die they go to the pit of hell and no one has seen Lucifer. The one thing I find interesting in UF in general is writers like to talk about hell but never show the balance of heaven..except the one book by Kelly Armstrong and I forget the name. So now that I am rambling I would say her world is complex and interesting I want to see what she does with it. But is it perfect I don't think so ...I may change my mind though

message 16: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) Nicole.. And I thought it was kind of refreshing for the main characters to actually get it on right away, instead of teasing it forever. It was also refreshing that she didn't climax immediately... that's a new one.

I soooo agree normally you have to wait until page 100 and they like magic someone gets laid!

***SEMI SPOILER****
I also like the fact tha the reason she cannot cum is not because of the I am not in love or she is not my mate but just a mental block that was cool!

message 17: by new_user (new)

new_user That's a good comparison, Dawn. I thought of it more like a demon taxonomy, spread out by different species (although maybe there is a hierarchy/power structure, I can't recall).

I think the reason authors never show heaven is because the imagination can conjure up better, LOL. Heaven is supposed to be the ultimate and it's hard for an author to draw a place like that that will satisfy every reader's expectations.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) I'm so far really liking the characters. I liked E and Tayla right away, but I really like Gem and her whole crush on the married human guy... I think I'm more curious about her and that arc than the main characters.
But yeah, I'm really liking her demons. So far a very fresh take on the paranormal. Like the demon with the maggots? I guess that one's similar to an episode of Buffy, but I've never read anything like that in a PNR book. Her creatures and her world are very original. I like it.

message 19: by new_user (last edited Feb 05, 2009 03:05PM) (new)

new_user I agree, Nichole. I like that her demons encompass a spectrum, from monstrous to mild. Everything that we recognize from myth and some that are new. I loved the little red spade-tailed devil, that was brilliant.

Really looking forward to reading about Gem and the other fellow too (no one can remember his name, LOL.)

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Personal Demons (other topics)