We're the Kids of America discussion

Hot Topics > Civil War

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin I'm a little confused, I always thought the Union was the good guys, but where I live, people tell me they actually believe the Confederates should have won. I'm a little confused. One girl actually said something along the lines of, "Well, they were kind of better off here, I mean, they were taken care of and stuff..." (meaning the slaves). That part sounds completely uneducated to me, I mean, obviously slaves were treated terribly, in a lot of situations. But what about the other reasons for the civil war? What were they, which do you agree with on both sides, who do you think should have won, and why?

message 2: by Kaytrina (new)

Kaytrina | 32 comments The other reason that I know of is that the north and south had totally different ideas and culture{wasn't just the slaves!},and both sides felt they didn't belong together because of that,plus the north was{rightfully!} calling on the south because of their wrongdoings with slavery.I agree with the North and I think they should have won.They wanted the nation together,and they did it.They kept this great nation together.AND they wanted slavery abolished.I think that's justificable of them to do that.

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin I live in the south.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (bookedwithcourt) I totally side with the North(and I live in the South). Just because we took "care" of the slaves(which we didnt) doesn't make slavery right. Although, I do admit that we took them away from the harsher Africa scenery(That might've been bad for us but I don't know if they brought any diseases over with them) which was a good thing for them, healthy wise. But the way they were treated is horrible.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin But what were the reasons for the war?

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments abraham lincoln was just really against slavery and @ first he tried 2 just get them 2 stop, then the south said they would bcome a separate country if they tried 2 do that, so a civil war started. that's wat my history textbook says @ least.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin haha

message 8: by Robin (new)

Robin What happened was, when Abe was elected, South Carolina realized they were doomed because he was a Republican, and they were anti-slavery and didn't want it to expand into new territories. So, the seceded, and then the other Southern states followed suit.

message 9: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments wat do u think? *holds up blank sheet of paper* isn't it beautiful?

message 10: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments g2g i'll check ur opinions out 2morrow!!!

message 11: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi well really the majority of slaves were treated quite well. there could have been many reasons behind this: slaves are still people, they work better if they're treated better, if I payed that much money for them why would i beat them or starve them... etc. but the places where they were abused got more publicity. the truth is when the slaves were eventually released about 80% of them stayed with their former masters and did the same work except that they got paid a little for the work instead of being fed for it.

message 12: by Koori no hi (new)

Koori no hi i do believe the Civil War was wrong, but it was needed. most people don't look at it this way, but it was exactly the same as the American Revolutionary War however many years before it. think about it. the USA would probably be not just 2 seperate nations, but Alaska would still be French or something, Hawaii wouldn't be a state, we would have not have had as much power as we did in both the World Wars. in many ways, the Civil War made us stronger.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I think the civil war was needed, since the South was being unreasonable. There is no circumstance under which slavery was ok, and it was barely fair to any slave. Maybe if they were lucky they would get a decent master, but more often than not, they were horribly mistreated! I live in New York, so of course I side with the North... I would be interested to hear someone who actually sided with the South. I don't see how anybody could on this one. I was recently down in South Carolina, and people down there still bring it up. We were called yankees! I think that Southerns need to get over it. The civil war is over. We won. Now, we are just the United States.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Allright, I am a Civil War reenactor on the side of the Confederates. The reason the war was started was because Abraham Lincoln was elected. The Republicans in the northern states wanted Lincoln and the Southern Democrats wanted the other cantidate(his name excapes me) . A major misconception about the war is that the South was fighting to preserve slavery. I will consent that alot of the Confederate aristocrats wanted to preserve slavery, but the average Confederate soldier was fighting because the North had invaded their homes and land. It was the Union that was on the offensive for most of the war. The Confederates only moved into Northern territory twice and those led to the battles of Antietam, and Gettysburg. There was also no "good" side. The South were fighting to protect their homes, and The North was fighting to quell the rebellion in the South and to preserve the Union. It may also intrest you to know that freeing the slaves was not an original war aim. The war started out with Lincoln saying that he wanted to putt down the rebels. It was only after 2 years into the war, right before the Battle of Fredericksburg, that He issued the emancipation proclamation and made freeing the slaves a war aim. Also, Generals Robert E. Lee and Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson, both leading Generals of the Confederacy, wer actually in favor of emancipation over slavery.

message 15: by Vivian (new)

Vivian | 159 comments You're a reenactor? thats pretty cool. And you just taught me something new about the Civil War. :P lol.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I love about it. Being able to ramble on for hours about 1 thing. :P lol

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

oh how you love to ramble about that Jordan, that's okay though, it can be interesting. :) I am fully against the idea of slavery and segregation and I agree with what the north did at that time. My dad had to go to the south for work and was disturbed to see a sign on a waffle house that should not have had to be there. "blacks welcome! no discrimination."

message 18: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments WTF slavery was wrong. Blacks were treated like Livestock. They were lynchd and burned and raped and beaten.

message 19: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments Southerns just can't get over the fact that they got beaten by a bunch of " liberal pussies"
Still they hate the east coast and the north. You know what? We beat you. Get over it suckers.

message 20: by Conor (new)

Conor (i got me some bathing apes!) | 270 comments The north was right then. And you know what? The north is right now. We're the origional 13 colonies, we fought the revolutionary and civil wars, and we've voted liberal since the begginning.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Just remember that the average Confederate was fighting to protect his home, not for slavery.

message 22: by Lauren, radical atheist...beware! (new)

Lauren (djinni) | 2702 comments Mod
I know a person, from the South, she said peole still drive around with Confederate flags on their cars. They are still sore about it.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I know. That is wrong. There comes a time when you should give something up. But still.

message 24: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 2196 comments wow it happened so long ago get over it already!!!