Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Carrie Vaughn

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just was wondering what everyone else has thought about the Kitty series by Carrie Vaughn. Her books have been mentioned several times on other threads on here and so I just thought that I'd make a thread for the author.

Her 5th book of the series Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand is scheduled to come out next week, with a 6th book coming out next month.

I've really enjoyed the first 4 books, and am looking forward the the 5th. Actually, :) I am pretty excited! I went to the book store tonight, and I got really lucky! They had put out the new book already, even though it shouldn't be out until Tues! I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh wow! that's luck!! I like her series, although I didn't like the first book as much as the others. I thought the first few chapters took way too long to get into... and then I didn't like the treatment of Kitty. (I won't go into details for those who haven't read it yet).

the others def. get better... but I kind of like Cormac better than Ben. He's so much more badass lol.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Love Cormac, Ben's boring...just my opinion!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Oh I love Cormac and was so mad when Kitty got with Ben I wanted to put the book down but reading book 4 I kind of liked Ben with her a little more. He's more stable than Cormac and stability is something Kitty needs.

message 5: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree with Jess about not liking the first book as much as the others, but I've enjoyed seeing Kitty grow and change throughout the books. Some series seem to keep their characters exactly the same, even if they've gone through something big in their life. But Kitty seems to change throughout them. The entire time that I was reading the first book though, I couldn't believe how Carl was acting. How in the world did he EVER become alpha of his own pack?!?

*Spoilers for book 3*

I agree that I would have loved to see Kitty get together with Cormac. I never had really thought of Ben as a love interest for her. But, I also don't think that in the long run things would have worked out with the two of them. Like Jael said, she needs someone that is more stable, and someone that can truly be her partner in every way, including being the alpha male of a pack.

message 6: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4048 comments I will not ruin it for you but I got the 5th book and I love it just like the others. I actually liked the first book most because he is the first werewolf that has like no power and she was such a doormat. Then to have it end the way it did I was like I must know what happened next. Thus I was hooked!
At first in Kitty in the Midnight Hour I thought that Cormac and Kitty would be a good match. But then in Kitty goes to Washington I really liked Kitty and Ben. I think it was because he never interferes with what she wants to do. Even though he hates Vamps he never says a word about her staying with the master vamp but then as soon as she needs help he is there. For example in this same book before the incident it is Ben who rides in the back of the car with her and covers her up and it is him that runs into the house first to make sure she is ok. Cormac was really demanding and he could not get past the fact that she is a werewolf. I just really like Ben and Kitty they seem perfect to me. He is man enough to let her do her how thing yet he is always there for her and he does protect her yet she also protects him. I love it! I think that CV is a genius I love this series it is so interesting to watch Kitty change and I love how she is vulnerable and a badass.
The latest book Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand is great it did not disappoint at all!

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments Are these paranormal romance or what kind of writing are they?

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I would say that the first 2 or maybe 3 books would have been classified as Urban Fantasy. There wasn't much romance in them. Little bits, but not any real part of the main story, but the last 2 have had romance and a relationship as a main part, so they've kinds moved to PNR. It's one of those series that kinda walks the line between the two.

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥ (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 132 comments Sounds interesting, weee more for my TBR pile :D

message 10: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just cleaning out the "New Releases" folder and thought that I'd put the links for the discussions of a couple of her books. I'm moving the discussions to the archived folder. Warning, these are discussions that contain spoilers!

Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand - Spoilers
Kitty Raises Hell - Spoilers

message 11: by LooLoo (new)

LooLoo I've been reading this series the past couple of weeks and all I have left is the latest book, Kitty Raises Hell. I've enjoyed it and think it gets better as it goes, well up through book four. Book five was a little off but I still liked it. I'm hoping six will be good too.

message 12: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree with book 5 being odd. I had a really hard time with that one. But I did like #6. Glad that you are enjoying the series!

message 13: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) I didn't like book #5 either. Maybe that's why I still have #6 sitting in The Pile unread!

message 14: by Anna (last edited Aug 29, 2009 04:22PM) (new)

Anna (aknas22) | 349 comments I really enjoyed Kitty Raises Hell and am looking forward to the next book in the series, Kitty's House of Horrors. I even liked book 5 ok, the bounty hunter characters that were acquaintances of Ben's were fun.

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I didn't like 5 or 6 really. Compared with other series out there, I'm not that impressed with it anymore. I'll see how 7 turns out.. if I don't like it, I may just stop reading it altogether.

message 16: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Anyone else planning on reading Voices of Dragons? I'm really interested to see how Vaughn does with a YA novel! And the premise looks interesting!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have it on my TBR, but I don't know when I'll get to it. I am VERY curious to see how she translates to YA.

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I have it on my list from the library. I am hoping it is good, but reserve the right for it not to be. Some authors aren't very good when they do different genre's.

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments This seems to be the new trend. An author makes a name for themselves in the adult genres and then they write a YA series. I think that it'd be hard to move back and forth between writing the two different types of novels!

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah I saw the other day that James Patterson has a book out in YA. I was really confused for a min.

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments I think the new "hot/it" thing right now in writing is YA, which can be traced back to the whole Twilight success. I think it is great, but it does seem odd that everyone is hopping on the band wagon. Kind of like when a sports team has been doing bad and then all of a sudden they are up for the championship game, then everyone is a fan.

message 22: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments Jess wrote: "Yeah I saw the other day that James Patterson has a book out in YA. I was really confused for a min."

That one blows my mind because he can't seem to write his adult novels on his own any more.

message 23: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Darcy wrote: "Jess wrote: "Yeah I saw the other day that James Patterson has a book out in YA. I was really confused for a min."

That one blows my mind because he can't seem to write his adult novels on his own..."

I've never personally liked his work. But it was one of those moments where I did a double take. And I said to myself, wait is this the same James Patterson lol.

message 24: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3120 comments Jess wrote: "Darcy wrote: "Jess wrote: "Yeah I saw the other day that James Patterson has a book out in YA. I was really confused for a min."

That one blows my mind because he can't seem to write his adult nov..."

I think his second one is free from B&N on their e-books. I ordered it, but who knows if I'll read it.

message 25: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) Jess wrote: "Yeah I saw the other day that James Patterson has a book out in YA. I was really confused for a min."

Don't the books in the MAXIMUM RIDE series have his name on them? I put it this way as I really doubt he wrote them. He doesn't even write his mystery books anymore.

message 26: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 203 comments I've got Vaughn's YA on hold at the library, too. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does writing YA. It does seem like many of the UF authors who write for adults are trying to hop on the YA train after all the popularity of Twilight, but IMO not all of them are as good at YA writing as they are with their works for adults. I liked Kim Harrison's Once Dead, Twice Shy, mainly because it was different from her adult works but still interesting. Kelley Armstrong's YA works were not as interesting IMO, because they were basically just YA reworkings of her adult books. Nothing really new. Time will tell what direction Vaughn takes.

message 27: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments The first book of Kelley Armstrong's didn't really keep my attention until towards the end, but then I really enjoyed the second one and am looking forward to the next book. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there will be more of a cross over with the two series.

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} (amyorames) | 237 comments Same here, Kelley Anne. I'm champing at the bit for the third book. Only a month to go!

I'm going to wait for more reviews on Voices of Dragons because I don't feel like forking out for a hardcover unless I know it's worth it. If it had been a paperback it would've been an auto-buy on pre-order.

message 29: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah, I'm not buying it. I'll wait for the library to get it. Whenever that may be.

message 30: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I hadn't planned on buying it until I heard from others how it was, but then I ended up deciding to read it for another group's challenge. So, my plan is to spend an hour or two at Barnes and Noble reading the first bit of the book, make sure that I am enjoying it and then if I am I'll buy it.