Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > SAG Awards: Sun. Jan. 25, 2009

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:49AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments The 15th Annual SCREEN ACTORS GUILD Awards will be simulcast on TNT & TBS on Sunday, January 25 at 8 pm ET/PT. See ====>
http://www.sagawards.org/

For a complete list of the nominations, see: ====>
http://www.sagawards.org/nominations

Here are some:
Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture:
THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON
DOUBT
FROST/NIXON
MILK
SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role:
RICHARD JENKINS - "THE VISITOR"
FRANK LANGELLA - "FROST/NIXON"
SEAN PENN - "MILK"
BRAD PITT - "THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON"
MICKEY ROURKE - "THE WRESTLER"

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role:
ANNE HATHAWAY - "RACHEL GETTING MARRIED"
ANGELINA JOLIE - "CHANGELING"
MELISSA LEO - "FROZEN RIVER"
MERYL STREEP - "DOUBT"
KATE WINSLET - "REVOLUTIONARY ROAD"

Have you seen any of these movies?
What did you think?

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Maybe I can sneak in watching this tonight LOL!! Or I can DVR it...my husband is not a big fan of awards shows & we don't have very many nights home together so I doubt I will make a stink about watching ;)

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Hi Becky. I'm looking foward to it. Funny...I hardly ever see any of the movies or watch any of the TV shows, but I still enjoy seeing the award shows. I enjoy people-watching.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) I have not been able to see any of the movies listed but I have read quite a bit about them & I will wait to see them when they are released to Netflix...
I had friends who saw Frost/Nixon on Broadway last year & they thought it was great....I like Frank Langella

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I've been thinking of looking into Netflix. My sister sees so many movies that way. Do they require you to rent a minimum amount of movies? I've been meaning to go to their website to read how it works.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Joy-it is very simple....you decide how many movies you want at a time-I have 3 out which means I have 3 movies at any given time-when I finish I stick one back in the postage paid envelope & they usually have it the next day & then the send the next movie out on my list...there are smaller ones you can do also. I have over 200 hundred movies on my list & I move them around & add & remove at will....it is the same price every month -for me $18 with tax-I can rent about 3-4 movies a week & never leave the house & you can keep them for as long as you like...no late fees. Twice in 4 years I received a damaged movie, I went on the site told them & they sent out a new one right away & I just returned the damaged one. If I have 3 movies & I watch 2 this weekend, I would mail them out tomorrow, they would get them Tuesday & by Thursday I would have my next 2 movies....I guess it depends on how much you like to watch movies. I am home alone at night so I pick movies that I want to see & if I know my husband is going to be home, I will have a movie here for us to watch....

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 25, 2009 02:06PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Gee, Becky, that sounds like a pretty good deal. My sister says nice things about Netflix too.

I wonder if it would be cheaper if I rec'd only 1 movie at a time.

I also wonder if members are obligated to stay with the program for a certain amount of time, or if they can quit anytime without further obligation.

Thanks very much for the info, Becky!

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Yes there are many different price packages some more some less....

2 at-a-time (Unlimited) for $13.99
Unlimited rentals - up to 2 movies out at a time with unlimited time to watch instantly for a flat monthly fee of $13.99.

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks, Becky. Sounds fair enough. I'm already paying 39 dollars a month to be a member of Curves and I haven't gone there in well over a month. Between the holidays, a bad cold, and cold weather, I haven't been getting much exercise. I suppose it will be easier to watch a movie at home than to go out to Curves. (g) Maybe I can do both. Let me mull this over.

I appreciate your posting the info. Thanks.

message 10: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Well I am able to have them on....I am so glad to have watched that segment honoring James Earl Jones-I was very lucky to have seen him last year as Big Daddy, in the all black cast of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof on Broadway-what a great voice & wonderful actor....

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, you were lucky indeed to have seen James Earl Jones in person on the stage, Becky. He has stature as an actor as well as a person. I enjoyed his speech. He's so dignified. These days there aren't as many dignified performers around as there used to be.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Revolutionary Road (other topics)