Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

MGR [archived] > Pleasure Unbound-FEB- FFA discussions- SPOILERS

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic | 902 comments Mod
Post here to talk about the book if you plan to read ahead of the scheduled weekly chapters.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

i just got my book so i am ready :D

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) Just got mine, too, came in the mail today! Yahoo!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

sweet

message 5: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I ordered mine from B and N. I hope to get mine by or before FEB 1st.

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) I ordered mine from amazon and it still hasn't been shipped even though I ordered it almost a week ago. I do not think I will get it on time to start but I'll catch up when it arrives. I'm excited!

message 7: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (Siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
Aww Kathryn :( Well if you are like me and read fast I am sure you will catch up in no time! :D

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) Yeah, I'll catch up and probably have to stop myself from reading it in one sitting! This will be the first book I read in a group on this site and I'm looking forward to discussions. This is all pretty new to me still and I'm afraid I'm becoming a little addicted!

message 9: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

If you do that's ok though! You can always check the stopping point and then discuss what you know of those chapters.

I think that's what I plan on doing. I will be reading more then one at a time but when the book is SO good I cant stop.. but that's why I have a plan to go back and see where the story is at from the chapter goals so I can discuss!

I think this way it works for all types of readers. Even if they finish a book in a sitting :)

message 10: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

I got my book today. I am VERY excited to read this. I had forgotten about this book. I read a great review and am glad this is a group read =)

message 11: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 7 comments I read it and actually loved it! I wasn't sure as it was more "sci-fi" than I like. I'm so glad this book was chosen. I'd never heard of it or the author. I didn't realize this was the 1st in the series! I'm dying for the next one.

Question: I've never done a group read before. Do we read during the specified week and discuss at the same time? Or... do we read that week and discuss the next?

I'm really new to GoodReads and love reading everyone's posts and am really enjoying all the great people. Thanks everyone!

message 12: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

You can reskim the chapters for the weeks goal to see what part of the book is being discussed in each week, or you can post here in the FFA section to talk about any part of the book!

We have the stopping points for those that read a bit slower then others, it helps too for people like me who read fast but also have like a ton of other monthly books they are reading! lol.

message 13: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments I've actually marked with little post-its where each weekly portion ends in each book to help me out, considering I think there is a total of five BOM reads I have signed up for..LOL..Talk about a full plate..LOL..

message 14: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) I know what you mean YZ - I'm going to get all these books confused. Since most of the BOM reads are book 1 in a series I won't have quite the relationship & understanding with the characters. I'm SO going to get all the new characters messed up. You will all get to play "what does that chick mean?" with my comments.

message 15: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments LOL..i know what you mean..I've actually decided that I might read some of them straight through, and only do a couple by chapters..LOL..although I might change my mind again once we get started..LOL.

This is my first time to read book/s with a group, and it ended with almost five books..talk about overdoing it.

message 16: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (Boban) Yeah - now if I can just keep myself off GoodReads so I can read the books I'll keep up no problem!

message 17: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Jan 30, 2009 09:16PM) (new)

LOL Exactly Shanon! But you guys are too addicting :P

message 18: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic, Co-Lead (new)

This time tomorrow I'll have at least the first chapter read, woohoo! I am going to read Ch.1 of each book and see if I will read straight through or weekly. A straight read on a good book (and a good concentration day, lol) takes me about 1-3 days.

message 19: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) Well I got my book in the mail yesterday and I was like oh I will read a little but I read the entire thing. I am happy to read it again in case I missed anything but who ever suggested this book ...Thanks!

message 20: by Yz the Whyz (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 232 comments I'm still waiting for my copy..so I guess..I will be behind.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) I'm still waiting too!

message 22: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) So, my book arrived yesterday. I read the first 6 chapters, set it aside, and then stayed up most of the night reading the rest. Whoever suggested this book, thank you! I loved it!

My only experience with demon books in Kim Harrison's Hallows series but that series is extremely different. I can't wait for Shade's story. I am just really surprised with this book. The author created a pretty convincing world and I loved all of the different types of demons. I do not remember the last time I read a book where I liked EVERY character, even the bad guys! There were plenty of surprises but enough similarity to other books in the genre to be comforting. I thought Tay's sexual frustration was great and loved the whole incubus shape shifting thing. The book was pretty dark, which I count as a big plus, with all the torture and Tay's mom's sad death. Not that I'm a sicko, but the darker world the author created made me feel for the characters stronger than if the world were all fluffy and easy. I loved that Tay was a better fighter than E, but she was still vulnerable. I loved this book! One of my new favorites!

Sorry I read straight through! I don't think I'll be very good at reading certain chapters in a week.

message 23: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Yeah I really loved her sexual frustration.. its something I have never read in any other book.

It make is that much more interesting!

message 24: by new_user (new)

new_user I agree with all your points, Kathryn. The leader of the Aegis was very compelling. I didn't expect to sympathize with him so much since in so many books it's black and white.

In fact, her whole world is grey (which I love, I'm a fan of dark books). I really liked the exploration of the concepts of hell, etc. In books about demons you would think it was customary, but a lot of authors don't want to step into that (because it's a lot to craft and there's also the issue of offending fictionalizing actual beliefs) and kind of skirt around it. I liked that Ione turned it all on its head, I thought it was a creative spin.

message 25: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) That's exactly how I felt nu. This author is not hesitant and I love that. Her world is so grey and that's compelling because it feels real.

I hope that some of the minor characters are in the next books. Since Shade is next and then Wraith, I hope Gem, Kynan, and even Luc are involved more. And I want to see more demons, different types. I loved how many of the species couldn't come to the surface because they do not appear human enough. I hope the next books go underground a little.

I was surprised by this book. I mean, paranormal romance doesn't involve too many surprising plot twists, at least not parts where I think "OMG, I did not see that coming!". The endings are pretty much secured. But I was surprised by many things in this book.

message 26: by new_user (last edited Feb 05, 2009 03:50PM) (new)

new_user Oh, yeah, Luc, the poor guy. He just couldn't catch a break. I hope he finds his girl too. It was awful what they did to him.

Definitely an interesting plot too.

message 27: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Feb 05, 2009 03:54PM) (new)

Yeah omg I couldnt believe she killed off his mate!

That was definately one of those things that made me say ... what the hell! lol

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) That was one of the things I liked best about this book. She gave the supporting characters their due; she made them dynamic and interesting, and people you want to learn more about. I hate when a book has a great central story but then all the other characters are flat.
I really liked Gem and can't wait to see what happens with her and Kynan.

I also liked how it was gray, as new user said. Particularly the way you saw how Lori betrayed Kynan and you wanted to be like, "bitch!" but then you found out what happened and you just felt sorry for her... nothing's cut and dry or black and white, which is really fun to read.

message 29: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

I agree Nichole, she definately did her characters (all of them) justice.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) I'm wondering what your guys' theories are about Wraith. Lori thinks he's the one who was directing them to take the demon parts. E and Shade are convinced he couldn't be involved and that someone's impersonating him for some reason.

My theory is that it is Wraith. After reading about what happened to Lori, it would have to have been an incubus that seduced her. And with Wraith always being gone for long periods of time, and all of the kills he has that E has to pay for... I think Wraith is doing all those things but he doesn't know he is. Like, he's blacking out or something...

What does everyone think?

message 31: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

That's a good theory and I actually thing its him as well, I cant wait for the next book to come out so we can find out lol.

message 32: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) Sorry, I don't think it's Wraith. Just a gut feeling!

message 33: by new_user (last edited Feb 07, 2009 09:48AM) (new)

new_user Hm, I didn't think it was him, but who knows. It was shocking when I learned what E takes for Wraith. That makes the book somewhat darker, I think. Violence done to the hero. But it fits with the concept of demons though, that kind of harsh punishment.

message 34: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (last edited Feb 07, 2009 09:51AM) (new)

Yeah I was hoping that Wraith would somehow find out and actually care about his brother and wise up..
And the fact that he gets into so much shit and doesnt care how many humans he kills makes me think he is involved with he demon parts.

message 35: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) The thing that confused me about Wraith is some place they talk about how he will not turn to humans for anything, so if this is true how can become sexually involved with one? The idea that he is blacking out is interesting but since his entire nature seems to hate them I thought this was confusing and leads me to think that it cannot be him but some type of demon imposter.

Oh and did they ever really say why E and Shade don't want Wraith to know about the beating? Like why wouldn't he survive?

Also why is Shade cursed?

Plus how cool is it they are all brothers? You know in all the other series they call themselves brothers but they aren't blood this time they are.

Can we say I need another book?

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess I think that they didn't want to tell Wraith about what was going because they knew he wouldn't be able to handle it. I think they meant that he was going to be so angry that he would lose it. At least, that's what I understood from it.

I can't wait for the next book to come out.. I think it's Desire Unchained.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) I think they were worried that he would feel so guilty about it that he would leave, or go into some kind of deep depression or something. She wasn't super clear about that, I guess. :)
I can't wait either! One comes out at the end of Feb and the other at the end of March, but I wonder how long we'll have to wait for book 4 after that. I'm jonesing to know about Gem and Kynan!

message 38: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (DawnV) I am hoping that we will get tidbits about Gem and Kynan throughout the next stories. Maybe I am slow but when I realized that Kynan was both the guy that Gem liked and Tayla's boss I was really surprised.

message 39: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (Kathry) No, I was surprised too!

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess I was also surprised... I thought I was a little slow too! lol. When I realized it, a little light bulb went off and I was like OHH I get it. lol.

Nichole (DirrtyH) (DirtyH) I think I wasn't surprised because I have a disease that forces me to flip ahead in books to get an idea of where they're going...
But there were no hints about that beforehand, so I don't think anyone was slow for being surprised. It was a neat twist.