Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 155 comments Becky wrote: "I cann't wait for this movie!
It looks very interesting and suspence packed.

Has anyone seen Prom Night before? It's sort of relates to Taken."

I don't see how "Prom Night" has anything to do with "Taken," which was screened for the press this past week.

The key reference, for me, is the TV series "24." Liam Neeson is like Jack Bauer, only instead of his job his motivation is rescuing his daughter. However in pursuit of that he will do absolutely ANYTHING. I like "24" though I don't take it seriously (it's the modern equivalent of the serial) and I felt the same way about "Taken."

message 2: by SLIM SHADY (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments Agsactly.... Thats the same thing my dad said about that movie but we still are gonna go see it. That its like 24 I also agree to the fact that I like 24 too and JACK BAUER IS AWESOME!!! Liam Neeson is an amazing actor!!

message 3: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I love Liam Neeson but I have to admit the trailer for Taken reminded me instantly of other movies (Ransom quickly came to mind). I hope I'm wrong.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 85 comments I thought Taken was really good...I can't wait to watch it in my own home though because some people just wouldn't stop talking at the theater...

message 5: by Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (last edited Feb 13, 2009 07:58AM) (new)

Stormi (BMReviewsohmy) (bmreviewsohmy) | 96 comments I didn't think Taken was like Ransom at all. I think Taken is a great movie for young women to watch before thinking of going alone to a foriegn country. I think it is the best Action movie of the year so far and I loved it. Liam Neeson was awesome!

♥ Rebecca ♥ Definitely a great movie. And I was already scared to travel alone, so this didnt change my mind. Its nothing like Ransom really. Someone is kidnapped, but not for ransom. And the authorities are not involved. Its more like 24. Liam Neesom was surprisingly perfect for the role.

message 7: by SLIM SHADY (last edited Mar 25, 2009 05:30PM) (new)

SLIM SHADY Gontier (heroesfreak) | 254 comments Just what I said Rebecca

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

omg, omg, omg, omg.... I LUV THIS MOVIE!!!! ^^

message 9: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl (shashee71) | 71 comments This was a great movie. I agree though that Liam Neeson's character put Jack Bauer to shame!! He was un-stoppable! I did want to smack the mother... ugh, I could not stand that woman and I fully place the blame on her for what happened to her daughter! See what lies and deceit getchya?

The ending, although happy, was a bit anti-climactic for me... And the whole her wanting to be a singer...that was just of a silly little side story.

All in all...it was a great action packed flick that I thoroughly enjoyed.

message 10: by Kevis (last edited Jul 30, 2009 02:44PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) Taken is one of those films that could have been legendary. It is a good film, but the concept was brilliant. If it had been executed better in the story, it might have been one of the best films ever. Instead, it's just another average revenge movie, even if it is a fun one to watch.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments It seemed a bit contrived, like how Liam neeson's character bursts upon the daughter in the bedroom scene..I wonder if such miracles happen in real life. My verdict would be a lame movie to watch, if truth be told, I just fast forwarded the whole thing, no dialogues worth remembering.

message 12: by Maya (new)

Maya (mrskitty) very good movie loved liam neesons performance in it really enjoyable

message 13: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) Lots of action.

message 14: by Audrey (new)

Audrey Cook Kolbek (audreykol) Love Liam Neeson, but wasn't too crazy about the movie.

message 15: by Atlas (new)

Atlas | 22 comments taken was pretty awesome and badass. but what is even better is the g4 parody involving inspector gadget

message 16: by د. موضي (new)

د. موضي النشمي | 2 comments I like it

message 17: by Ladyacct (new)

Ladyacct | 3 comments I enjoyed this movie also, I really like Liam Neeson though so I could have been just a smidge prejudiced.

message 18: by Mawgojzeta (new)

Mawgojzeta Audrey wrote: "Love Liam Neeson, but wasn't too crazy about the movie. "

The movie was fine (not great) for me until the end. I felt the dead friend was not given enough thought there. Even an additional 1/2 minute to a minute of discussion once they are back in the USA would have been enough for me. This kind of ruined it for me. It irritated me and it still does.

message 19: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) I loved this movie! I was on the edge of my seat through most of it. Liam Neeson is a wonderful actor, but I never would have thought of him in this type movie - making it all the better for this reason. More believable. Saw it with a male friend who is very particular and even he liked it. One of the best thriller/suspense/action movies of that year.

message 20: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I tend to think of it as Fantasy Island for middle aged white guys. Liam is the thinking man's Rambo. I actually did find it fun though.

message 21: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) LOL! I like that...thinking man's Rambo. Ha!

message 22: by Tyrone (last edited Mar 20, 2011 07:05PM) (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 118 comments Look, this managed to be quite an enjoyable watch because the the action scenes were brutal and economical and Liam Neeson managed to be believable but this movie is terrible for one good reason. It shows some of the worst hollywood stereotyping which borders upon prejudice. The film plot is borderline racist. It paints the films component nationalities in very broad and stereotypical strokes. Western European = decadent and corrupt, Eastern European = criminal and evil, American = family loving and moral, the source of justice. Don't believe the hype. Some of us who live in europe haven't sold our grannies or gang raped the girl next door yet!

message 23: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Well, maybe not, but are you Albanian? Hollywood spends a lot of effort trying to find evil villains whose background will offend the fewest number of people. Hence the most recent Rambo that featured very evil Burmese soliders.

message 24: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 118 comments I find i can get angry on their behalf, just because of studio execs stupidity and their belief that we too are as stupid as they are...

message 25: by George (last edited Mar 21, 2011 06:01AM) (new)

George | 951 comments up to you. the movie is indeed not without serious faults. for me, it's not about dissing the Albanians per se, but the ultimate Amerian nightmare that nothing beyond our borders is safe, can ever be safe. Anyway, I've nothing against Albanians, having spent time in Kosovo, Serbia and Greece. It's not like I've never known any. or spent a fair amount of time elsewhere in the world.

anyway, if you like your H.L. Mencken, from the past who knew whereof he spoke, "no one ever lost money underestimating the American public."

message 26: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10496 comments it's easy to miss someone like mencken ...

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 853 comments I thought that movie was really good

message 28: by Panda (new)

Panda Dani (pandadani) I liked this movie, it was good and the action was great. Although, that daughter's (17 year old) running was not great.

message 29: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 118 comments Maggie Grace is a charisma/talent vacuum.

message 30: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 853 comments I'm a huge fan of maggie grace and i think she's a great actor