Best Teen Books discussion

Audio Book Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Tricia | 12 comments Over the past two years, I've become an avid "reader" via the convenience of audio books during my daily commute.

In fact, my enthusiasm for Fat Kid Rules the World can be almost entirely attributed to Matthew Lillard's incredible audio performace, but I've also noticed that there are some real duds out there.

Anyone have some good ausio recommendations?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments Some of my favorites:
The Libbra Bray series - A Great & Terrible Beauty and Rebel Angels
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman read by the full cast (from Bruce Coville's production company)

message 3: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 11 comments Tricia,

I've been listening to books in the car for a little over a year. Most have been good, but you're right that some aren't as good as others.

I also really enjoyed the Libba Bray books, as Kate suggested. I hadn't wanted to read them, but definitely got caught up in the CD's.

The absolute best series that I've listened to was Stroud's BARTIMEUS TRILOGY (AMULET OF SAMARKAND, GOLEM'S EYE, and PTOLEMY'S GATE). I also loved FLIPPED (which I notice is one of your favorite books) and ANANSI BOYS by Neil Gaiman. I didn't like reading the first TRAVELING PANTS book much, but have listened to the other 3 on CD. I'm amazed at how many distinct voices the narrator has created.

What are some of your other favorites besides FAT KID RULES THE WORLD?

Elissa

message 4: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 11 comments I just got back from taking my son to school, and on the way home I thought of 2 more things in response to Tricia's request for good audiobooks. I have a shelf of "listened-to" books, and many of them have reviews. I also remembered the ODYSSEY award, which will be given for the first time in 2008, at the same time as the Newbery, Caldecott and Printz (these are announced at ALA's Midwinter conference, at the end of January). I'm really excited about this new award for excellence in audiobooks! It's being given jointly by ALSC (the division of ALA that chooses the Newbery and Caldecott) and YALSA (the division that chooses the Printz). Can't wait to see what wins!

message 5: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 12 comments I keep seeing The Book Thief lately. That's one at the top of my to reads, but maybe I'll bump it to the to-listens list. I'll certainly get to it faster that way.

message 6: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 12 comments I've just finished Eragon and am currently listening to Eldest (Christopher Paolini), and I think that reader does an excellent job.

An Abundance of Katherines (John Greene) is one I tried to read on my own and just couldn't get into becuase the footnotes completely took me out of the action. The audio ties the footnotes in seemlessly and really let me love the book as much as I'd wanted to all along. (Big John Green fan!)

Though not YA, David Sedaris is just a great reader of his own material and I highly recommend any of his audios.

I would be overly generous to call all of the audios below "favorites," but they've certainly been good enough to keep my audio addiction going: Witch Child (Celia Rees), A Certain Slant of Light (Laura Whitcomb), The Misfits (James Howe), Ida B. (Katherine Hannigan), The Love Curse of the Rumbaughs (Jack Gantos - too twisted of a book not to listen to for me), Redwall (Brian Jaques), The Princess Diaries and All American Girl(Meg Cabot), The Boyfriend List (E. Lockhart), The Higher Power of Lucky (Susan Patron), The Girl with the Pearl Earring (Tracy Chevalier).

An Abundance of Katherines (John Greene) is one I tried to read on my own and just couldn't get into becuase the footnotes completely took me out of the action. The audio ties the footnotes in seemlessly and really let me love the book as much as I'd wanted to all along. (Big John Green fan!)

Though not YA, David Sedaris is just a great reader of his own material and I highly recommend any of his audios.

Thanks for all of your suggestions so far. I'll start adding the to my lists.

message 7: by Alexandra (last edited Dec 13, 2007 03:58PM) (new)

Alexandra | 16 comments I listened to the audio versions of Skulduggery Pleasant, Airborn, The Book of Lost Things, The Book Thief and enjoyed them all. I think the audio versions of Skulduggery Pleasant and Airborn were particularly well-done. Skulduggery Pleasant had a great narrator, Airborn had different readers for the different characters speaking, which was nice. And a the narrator sounded like a young man, as the main character in the story is, and also does a good job. I can't be sure, because I haven't read the books to compare, but I think the audio version added to the experience for these two.

message 8: by J-Lynn (new)

J-Lynn (JVanPelt) | 19 comments I highly recommed the audio books for:
Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
Feed by M. T. Anderson

message 9: by Jen (new)

Jen (Istoleahalo) I recently started listening to audio books during my commute.

My recent goodies were the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman and The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly.

message 10: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 12 comments Esperanza Rising was excellent! I forgot about that one.

message 11: by Atomicgirl (new)

Atomicgirl | 11 comments Tim Curry was perfect in the Abhorsen trilogy.

message 12: by Marisa (last edited Dec 15, 2007 11:42AM) (new)

Marisa | 2 comments My recent audio books:
Juvenile: Emma Jean Lazarus fell out of a tree (this one's great!)
The Tail of Emily Windsnap (I love British narrators!)
Coraline (read by Neil Gaimen, so good!)
The Lion Boy Trilogy (again, yeah Brits)

Y/A: The Goose Girl
A certain Slant of Light
I am the Messenger
The Gospel According to Larry
Twisted (Laurie Halse Anderson -- the narrator of this one really annoyed me a first but I got over it pretty quickly)
The Dairy Queen and The Off Season (I LOVED the narrator for these!)

Adult (with YA crossover potential):
My Sister's Keeper
Anansi Boys (this is one of my favorite all time audio books)

I also just listened to The Omnivore's Dilemma because I didn't think I'd get through it if I read it, and it was really great. I can't so much picture a 17 year old reading or listening to it, but I'd definitely recommend it to adults or particularly motivated teens.

There are probably more but this is what I remembered off the top of my head. I would recommend any of these.

What a great thread, thanks for starting this!

message 13: by Tricia (new)

Tricia | 12 comments Marisa,

I completey agree with your assessment of Twisted. It took a few chapters, but he really grew on me. I am interested in reading it too, though. I really like Laurie Halse Anderson, and I was SO entertained by the whole thing until the end, which fell a little flat for me. Not sure if I should blame the reader or the story.

I'm so excited the you mention The Omnivore's Dilemma! I've been meaning to read it for almost two years now, but the closest I've come is having caught a glimps of the size of the thing when I noticed another passenger on a plane carrying it on. The audio would definitely be the way to go on this one for me.

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie | 2 comments I really liked Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. I can't remember who the reader is, but it's not often a voice that seems so teenagery works for me. Then again, maybe it's the story... It's excellent.

message 15: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 2 comments Oh, and Sarah Vowell is really great for audio -- anyone who knows and likes her from This American Life will probably love her books. Partly Cloudy Patriot is my favorite...
"This is how a three year old tells a knock-knock joke:
'Knock Knock.'
'Who's there?'
'I have a bug in my pocket!'"

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally | 3 comments Favorite Juvenile Audios:
*Dragon Rider, Cornelia Funke (read by Brendan Fraser--excellent!)
*Artemis Fowl, Eoin Colfer

Favorite YA audios:
*Feed, M.T. Anderson
*Copper Sun, Sharon Draper
*Looking for Alaska, John Green
*The Book Thief, Marcus Zusak

Favorite adult audios:
*Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer

That's all I can think of right now. I love audios!!

message 17: by elissa (new)

elissa (LibrarianElissa) | 11 comments Sally,

It's very good to know that the audio of COPPER SUN is so good! I need to read this for a book discussion in January, and haven't really been looking forward to reading it, so this is very welcome info. Thanks for listing it in this thread!

Elissa