Science and Inquiry discussion

Archive > Prior STDs Make HIV Infection More Likely

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by William (new)

William (acknud) Susanna wrote: "http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/stds-d...

Interesting."

Without reading this article I would say that stands to reason. STD's travel in packs. If you have Gonorrhea then you are also more likely to have Chlamydia. This is true of any of the STD's.

message 3: by JuliAnna (last edited Jan 24, 2009 11:23AM) (new)

JuliAnna | 37 comments William wrote: "
Without reading this article I would say that stands to reason. STD's travel in packs. If you have Gonorrhea then you are also more likely to have Chlamydia. This is true of any of the STD's."

This article suggests another relationship: research suggests that inflammatory reactions in response to prior STD's reduce the protective capacity of mucosal barriers which normally provide resistance to HIV-1.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Then why don't doctors treat for Chlamydia at the same time they treat for gonorrhea?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 363 comments Perhaps the drugs counteract each other?

I don't know.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Susanna, Did you know there are some people who are immune to HIV? They seem to be the same people who are immune to Black Plague and they tend to load iron from what I understand.

I was told by my iron overload list to read Survival of the Sickest. Its quite entertaining so I recommend it to anyone who likes medical type stuff.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 363 comments Yes, I think I saw a program on PBS about some people who inherited plague immunity and also seem immune to HIV. I thought it very interesting.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 12, 2009 07:42PM) (new)

Yes, I saw that one too and wanted to buy it so I could watch it again. There is a little more about that in Survival of the Sickest but not much. If you run across any books with more info on that would you let me know?

Have you read Osler's Web? Its very shocking. A friend with CFIDS told me to read it and I got so upset I threw it across the room even tho it was a library book. I couldn't help myself.

message 9: by William (new)

William (acknud) Alice wrote: "Then why don't doctors treat for Chlamydia at the same time they treat for gonorrhea? "

They do (or they should). That is standard procedure. STD's travel together like little friends.

Treatments for Gonorrhea/Chlamydia are:

125 mg of Rocephen Intramuscularly and
Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for ten days

or 2 grams of Zithromax orally

There are some other lesser used combos as well. I always treat for both.