Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Topics Other Than Bks-Pics-TV. > Our local NY Rep, KIRSTEN GILLIBRAND, has been named U.S. Senator!!!!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 23, 2009 11:54AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments From the New York Times:
"Bringing to an end a weeks-long drama about who would replace Hillary Rodham Clinton as United States senator from New York, Gov. David A. Paterson announced that his choice was Representative Kirsten Gillibrand, a 42-year-old congresswoman from upstate who is known for bold political moves and centrist policy positions."

Gillibrand represented the 20th Congressional District of New York, of which Glens Falls is a part!

"The 20th Congressional District of New York is a congressional district for the United States House of Representatives in eastern New York. It includes all or parts of Columbia, Dutchess, Delaware, Essex, Greene, Otsego, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Warren, and Washington counties. It includes the cities of Glens Falls and Saratoga Springs. This largely rural district stretches to include parts of the Adirondacks, Catskills and Hudson Valley.

"The 20th District seat is currently vacant, as a result of Representative Kirsten Gillibrand being appointed to the United States Senate."

message 2: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments All the NYC area Democrats are in an uproar because they say Gillibrand is too conservative and supports the peoples' right to bear arms.

I guess they haven't heard that New York is a state, not just a city, and that most of us have opinions that are very different from the people in NYC.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Yes, hunting is very popular in the North Country.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Good for her!! I was happy with the announcement & will be sad to see her go from here...

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I was just getting to know about her. Now I guess I'll get to know more. (g) She really climbed the political ladder fast! She was in the right place at the right time. Besides, she seems to be bright and capable. She appears to be a very natural, relaxed person... something like Barack and Michelle, when you come to think of it. I think stuffiness has gone out of style. (g) Hope so!

She was supposed to be a guest speaker at January's AAUW Branch meeting at the Glens Falls Country Club. We were all very excited. But then I heard that she would be sending a representative instead. Guess she found herself too busy with all this going on behind the scenes.

message 6: by Jackie (last edited Jan 28, 2009 09:53AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I don't know much about her policies. I remember when she ran her local campaign, and boy was it dirty! I cannot respect a person who will tear another apart for any reason. I know most people think All's Fair in Politics but I don't agree. It speaks to a person's character. We'll just have to wait and see what she does and if she represents us fairly. It's not as if we had any choice in the matter.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Jackie-I certainly understand what you are saying but if I remember correctly Sandy Treadwell was attacking her quite a bit & maybe she just felt she had had enough....as far as this appointment, do we ever have a choice when someone leaves their office between terms?

message 8: by Jackie (last edited Jan 28, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments It was before Sandy Treadwell, I can't remember the guy's name. He was in office at the time. Sure, they both did it and I was disgusted by both of them. In that campaign she started with the personal allegations against him and his wife. I don't mean to imply she started so it's OK for him. Not at all. I would just be nice to see someone with ethics and moral character in politics.

No, we don't get the choice. We didn't get the choice with the current governor either. I think that should be changed. Where is our say in any of this? I don't think it would be an inconvenience to hold a special election for times when a seat is open.

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) From what I have been told-because I asked a friend who is involved in politics a similar question about a special election-it is very expensive to hold them & especially with the way things are now, it would not be looked upon very well....

I think you are talking about John Sweeney-I will leave it at that, he is out of office no matter what anyone had to say about him....

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I guess it's a matter of perspective. It's fine for the new president to spend 150 million on a party, why not an election that represents the people?
I understand one is from the federal budget and the other from state, but I still feel the needs of the people should come first and the money could be found if they wanted to. They find the money for the things they want.

message 11: by Don (new)

Don (ddonofrio3) | 86 comments I'm not totally satisfied with any politician.

Since John Sweeney has been out of office he's been in the paper numerous times for being drunk and causing trouble at the strip club in Clifton Park. He's was even arrested for refusing to pay a cab that drove him home from the strip club one night when he was too drunk to drive.

Kirsten Gillibrand beating him was good for all of us.

When the bailout was coming up for votes, I emailed Kirsten Gillibrand every single day asking her to vote against it because the government has no business bailing out rich bankers and she did.

The Constitution acknowledges that I have a right to own a gun. Whether I do or not doesn't matter. Gillibrand recognizes that I do have the right to own one if I choose to. Too many politicians today have never read the US Constitution, much less understood it.

On the other hand, I did the Adopt-A-Soldier 5k walk in June and Sandy Treadwell was right there walking with us, and he did it without using it as a campaign opportunity so I have to respect that. I don't like that he spent $6 million to try and win a job that pays $200,000/year but that's another story.

In this instance, Kirsten Gillibrand was the best person to get the job. Caroline Kennedy wasn't.

Their is a new election in 2010 so Gillibrand only gets the job for two years. We'll see what happens then.

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Don wrote: I'm not totally satisfied with any politician.

That's the crux of it for me.
I don't think there is a politician out there that will make me happy. I don't know what I expect. Maybe I'm just crazy for wanting honesty and integrity in my representatives.

I wasn't saying that Sweeney was good, BTW, just that they ran a nasty campaign. They both did. I couldn't stand either of them.

I am glad that Caroline Kennedy didn't get the job. Gillibrand has some experience. That's got to count for something, I guess.