Daily Diary discussion

Reading Habits > Some Latin American Author recommendations

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments Some of you have asked me for a list of recommendations that I have received for Latin American authors, here goes:
1. Peru -- MarioVargas LLosa , the Time of the Hero, the War of the End of the World (history, hardship)
2. Brazil -- Clarice Lispector, the Hour of the Star (existentialism, feminism)
3. Mexico - Carlos Fuentes, The Death of Artemio Cruz, Aura (concept of time, magic realism)
4. Cuba/Haiti - Aleyo Carpentier, Kingdom of this World (history, voodoo, story of the first and only black slave rising and actual take-over of a nation from whites (Haiti)
5. Brazil - Jorge Armado, Gabriela, Clove and Cinnamon, Dona Flor and Her Two Hustbands (Brazilian culture, sex, race relations)
6. Argentina - Jorge Luis Borge, Labarynths Isurrealism, concept of time)
7. Chile - Jose Donoso, the Obscene Bird of Night (surrealism, magic realism)
8. Gabriel Garcia Marquez

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed | 237 comments Mod
Great, great list. I was fortunate years ago to take a course taught by Carlos Fuentes on latin american literature. I need to revisit and read some of those books again. Great list, Meg.

message 3: by Lilia (new)

Lilia (oldgeekwoman) I also recommend Julio Cortazar, and although I haven't read it yet, his masterpiece is Rayuela, a book that can be read from beginning to end, or follow the page order that the author gives.

message 4: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 100 comments Ed, I cannot believe that you took a course taught by Fuentes, that must have been some experience!

Luna thank you for that recommendation, I will put it on my TBR list.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Sep 12, 2009 10:38PM) (new)

Anna (lilfox) | 53 comments Marina Mayoral - if you would be able to find some of her books in English

message 6: by Lilia (new)

Lilia (oldgeekwoman) Meg wrote: "Luna thank you for that recommendation, I will put it on my TBR list."

I'm actually struggling to choose a fiction book to read right now, so I might give Rayuela a try. It was one of my dad's favorite books, so even if I haven't read it, it already has a special place in my heart.

message 7: by Caro (new)

Caro (wutheringreads) You might want to check out La Mujer Habitada (the translation would be something like The Inhabited Woman), by Gioconda Belli. It's probably one of the best books I've ever read.
Also, Isabel Allende and Julio Cortázar are amazing.