What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Psychic children kidnapped and held @ institute/ trained to use powers.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lolita (new)

Lolita Hansen | 1 comments I read this book my freshman year of high school which was around 1992. In the story, various children have been kidnapped from their parents due to the special abilities they possess. It was staged so the parents thought the kids were killed in various accidents. Boat drowning, ect. The kids are taken to a institute run by a scientist and are placed in groups and with substitute parents. They are trained to use their abilities for different reasons. The scientist is cruel to the children and eventually the children revolt and escape to find their real parents. At one point there is a scene in a mall where alot of people are killed by one of the psychic kids because the parents begin searching for them again.

I believe the title had the word "children" in it but I cant really remember.

message 2: by April Ann (last edited Jan 23, 2009 01:51PM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments The first book that popped in my head was Firestarter by Stephen King but I'm not sure if it fits exactly. It could be a read alike for this book.

message 3: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 58 comments it sounds like a john saul book. im not sure which one - i read them so long ago. theres shadows, but i dont think those kids were kidnapped - it was a school for them... check out his books - maybe one will spark something.

message 4: by April Ann (last edited Jan 26, 2009 10:32AM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments In Suffer the Children by John Saul, children disappear one by one.

message 5: by mdt (new)

mdt (mdt13) | 102 comments Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz comes to mind - kids with special abilities are experimented on and trained by the goverment. But it doesn't quite match your description otherwise.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer (KristatheKrazyKataloguer) | 104 comments It sounds like a movie I saw starring Amy Irving, "The Fury". It came out in 1978 and was based on a book of the same title by John Farris.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments Well, if I remember it correctly it doesn't really fit but it reminds me a bit of House of Stairs

message 8: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments LJ Smith had a trilogy with a similar plotline, but I'm pretty sure they they weren't kidnapped -- I think they were told they were getting scholarships to a special school.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 47 comments I have "The Fury." It's a terrible movie!

message 10: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (seeford) | 63 comments Is it When the Wind Blows by James Patterson?
I haven't read it in many years, but some of the plot seems similar...

message 11: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 66 comments I think in When the Wind Blows the kids are genetically altered by the scientists and born in the lab. A girl escapes and is helped by a vet or something.

This does sound like a John Saul book to me too. I just can't remember which one.

message 12: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen | 25 comments I don't know the answer, I just have to say... I thought the post title said "Psychic chicken"

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Tahleen wrote: "I don't know the answer, I just have to say... I thought the post title said "Psychic chicken""

Now *that* would be an interesting book!

message 14: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments Well, there was that horrible, ridiculously bad film with a psychO chicken. But that's not quite the same.

message 15: by Mel (new)

Mel (MelCdn) | 21 comments Also a longshot but The Case of the Vanishing Boy by Alexander Key has an amnesiac boy who wakes up on a train, is befriended by a girl and pursued by an evil scientist. Turns out he can teleport and she has an ability too and both are kidnapped by the scientist but eventually escape - there's more but I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't read it. There is no mall and no killings that I remember though.

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy | 41 comments Is it maybe The God Project by John Saul. There's a fairly detailed customer review on Amazon (with some plot spoilers). When I read the description in the original question, I recalled having read this book or something similar, and I believe it was the God Project.

message 17: by April Ann (last edited Jun 10, 2009 05:10AM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments The Mind Trap by G. Clifton Wisler, 1990.

Summary: Scott's identity as a telepathic alien from another planet may be exposed when he's sent to a research institute for psychic children run by a mysterious doctor.

Kirkus Reviews An alien who looks like a normal 14-year-old rescues his kin from wicked earthling scientists. Because he's an Antrian, Scott Childers can read minds, influence objects by thought, and teleport. In one of two earlier books about him (The Seer, 1989), Scott saved his foster family from an accident, then made it look as if he himself had died. With his Antrian mentor, Tiaf, he has traveled through space and time, developing his powers. Now he comes upon children like himself, able to speak to each other telepathically. They are the wards (or prisoners) of Dr. Faulkner and his colleagues, who have brought the children together to study them. Scott is a prize catch because of his abilities, but he is more than Dr. Faulkner & Co. bargained for: he destroys their files and rescues the other children. This modern equivalent of the penny dreadful depends on action to distract readers from its hackneyed, wooden writing, and implausible plot. Still, it's the sort of lively tale that can make readers out of couch potatoes. For large collections with voracious SF fans.
(Kirkus Reviews, September 15, 1990)

message 18: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments I'm pretty sure you're looking for the same book I am. I haven't posted here about it because I couldn't recall enough of the details. I would have read it right around the time you're describing as well, 1991-1993.

A lot of the John Saul books sound familiar, but I'm pretty sure they're not the right ones, though I think this author did write at least one other book about psychic children.

I know it's fairly ridiculous, but one of the things I recall most about the one I read is that it was a paperback with one of those cut-out covers. The ones where there's a hole in the cover which lets you see some of the art on the first page inside the cover, the way V.C. Andrews books are usually done. The outer cover was blue and the art page inside had a drawing/painting of the aforementioned children. Does this sound familiar?

message 19: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (EmmaAudsley) | 1 comments Could it be 'The God Project by John Saul?

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Sarai0989) | 66 comments Is it A cage of butterflies by Brian Caswell?

Summary: The story is set in a research facility (known as the "farm") involving two groups of people. The first group contains several teenagers with IQs above 150. These teenagers (Greg, Mikki, Lesley, Gordon, Katie and Chris) call themselves the "Think Tank". However, this group is merely a smokescreen for the real subjects of the research - five seven year-olds who are able to communicate telepathically, known as the "Babies".The babies are called Pep, Ricardo, Ian, Rachel and Myriam. The Babies were all born on the same day in the same hospital.

When the members of the first group are "contacted" by the Babies, they learn of the researchers' exploitation, and, with the help of compassionate workers at the facility, investigate the reason for the Babies' condition. They Babies need help as the head researcher, Larsen, will stop at nothing to solve the mystery. The Think Tank, as well as researcher Susan and young orderly Eric provide this help.

They trick the head researcher, John Larsen, away so they can escape. The Story ends with the Think tank 6 Years into the future. They Turned the think tank into 'Think Tank Inc.', a company worth 3 million dollars. The Babies, Think Tank and newley married Erik and Susan all live together.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (LisaRosenbergSachs) It sounds interesting. When you find the name of it, let me know so that I can read it.

message 22: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Thorne (alissathorne) There is some similarity to This Alien Shore, however that was published in '99, so probably not.

Excellent book though. I would recommend it.

message 23: by J10 (new)

J10 (Jantien) | 13 comments Sounds exactly like Peter Hoeg's Borderliners.

Description:
Borderliners is the English translation of De måske egnede, a novel written by Danish author Peter Høeg in 1993. It is about three children, Peter, Katerina and August who attend a private school in Copenhagen in the mid 1970s. It is not long before the children realise they are part of an experiment initiated by the school. The objective is to show how damaged children can be saved and converted into fine citizens. The children choose to fight the experiment.

Good luck!

message 24: by Terry (new)

Terry | 1 comments The series is called Maximum Ride by James Patterson

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 286 comments The first Maximum Ride book didn't come out until 2005, and the poster is looking for a book that was available in 1992.

message 26: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (Daffodil--RIPCranberry) | 123 comments Mel wrote: "Also a longshot but The Case of the Vanishing Boy by Alexander Key has an amnesiac boy who wakes up on a train, is befriended by a girl and pursued by an evil scientist. Turns out he can teleport ..."

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question for Mel. Is the girl blind? Without revealing too much, does "Matilda" feature in this book? If so, I think this is one I've been looking for for a while.

message 27: by Noemi (new)

Noemi Could it be "The Worthing Saga" by Orson Scott Card? I remember one part of the book features training blue-eyed people to use their psychic powers.

message 28: by rivka (new)

rivka | 298 comments Yes, but none of the rest of the description corresponds to that world at all.

message 29: by Zookeeper (new)

Zookeeper | 1 comments It sounds a lot like "Hear the Children Calling" by Clare McNally.

message 30: by David (new)

David | 1 comments i think its called the Antrian Messenger...if im thinking thats right...the main character is Scott Childers....hope that helps...G. Cifton Wisler wrote it.

message 31: by Lonniehoover (new)

Lonniehoover | 1 comments Im pretty sure the name of this book is The Eyes of Darkness. If so please email me at lonniehoover84@yahoo.com and let me know.

message 32: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments I can't speak for the original poster, but mine (which sounds like the same book) wasn't a Dean Koontz book. I read a lot of his books, and none of them are the one I'm thinking of.

I read two books that same summer that were very similar, both "cheap" paperbacks, both about psychic children being kidnapped, and all that, and Zookeeper has definitely found one of them. Hear the Children calling even has that blue double-cover that I mentioned before. Now I just have to track down a copy and re-read it.

Thank you Zookeeper!

message 33: by Angel (new)

Angel (mnemosyne) | 25 comments And it looks like my other psychic-children-mystery-book is another by that same author, "Cries of the Children."

message 34: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) Thanks for bumping this! Although I can't speak for the original poster either, I've been looking for an old book with this general plot for years and this thread finally answered it for me.

In case it helps anyone else: Mine turned out to be Shadows by John Saul, which hadn't been specifically brought up here, but the God Project mentions led me to it.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Iler | 1 comments The book is "Hear the Children Calling" by Clare McNally. I wish she had written more like it.

message 36: by The Central (new)

The Central Op | 1 comments Thanks to Zookeeper and Angel for leading me to "Hear The Children Calling" and "Cries of the Children". I'd agree with Jessica that the book the original poster Lolita is looking for is indeed "Hear The Children Calling" having just read the book.

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 1382 comments I just messaged Lolita and asked her to post in this thread to confirm if her book has been found.

message 38: by Rebecca Kent (new)

Rebecca Kent | 6 comments it sounds like the Maximum Ride series

message 39: by Jordan K (new)

Jordan K Bell (JordanKBell) | 4 comments Makes me think of the Dark Visions trilogy by LJ Smith http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/67...

message 40: by Rosie (new)

Rosie (heckos) | 9 comments At first I thought that the book was Down A Dark Hall, but in that book the student's deaths aren't faked.

message 41: by khi (last edited Oct 04, 2011 05:15PM) (new)

khi | 26 comments Could it be The Girl with the Silver Eyes? The premise sounds vaguely familiar, but it's been a long time since I've read the actual book.

message 42: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannahbassett) It sounds a little bit like Shade's Children (Garth Nix). I don't believe they were psychic, but they did have powers.

message 43: by Clare K. R. (new)

Clare K. R. (Clare-Dragonfly) | 54 comments I thought of The Girl with the Silver Eyes but the children in that book aren't kidnapped, though I believe there are attempts.

message 44: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments That's brand new.

message 45: by Jen (new)

Jen | 23 comments Brand new, but freaking awesome!

message 46: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments Right, but the poster said 1992.

message 47: by Elki (new)

Elki | 6 comments Omg! Zookeeper & Angel, you guys saved my life! I've spent years trying to find the name of this crazy book I read twice years ago. I even went back to the library where I found it and searched the shelves where I thought I remembered it was originally...Cries of the Children. Whew.

message 48: by drowningmermaid (new)

drowningmermaid | 115 comments Book-Name Party!!

Just a pointless post to celebrate the finding of a long-lost book. ^^

message 49: by Redsoxxace (new)

Redsoxxace | 1 comments I am looking for the same book, I think all of the kids brains were being held in a room hooked up to computers.
And the boy found out because of the secret elevator .

message 50: by mdt (new)

mdt (mdt13) | 102 comments I read Hear the Children Calling after seeing it on this thread and agree that it's probably the book the OP was looking for. The only difference is the scene described takes place in an airport gift shop and not a mall.

« previous 1