The Year the Gypsies Came The Year the Gypsies Came discussion

WHY DOES THIS BOOK HIT SOME SOO HARD?

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (last edited Jan 23, 2009 08:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amanda From personal experience, I know that if you're not careful you can be pulled too far into this book, but why? What is it about this book that makes one so captivated that one cannot help but get involved?
Then, while reading or after reading this book who do you feel more attached to? Why?

message 2: by Nikki (new)

Nikki in my opinion, this book hits hard because it makes you think and it's based on real life.
while reading the book, i'd have to say i felt more attached to the Mallory family, Otis especially. he was so cute!

Elarri I think its the relationships, and the tension caused between them. Emily's relationship with Streak. Sarah's relationship with Otis. Sarah nd Otis's especially, as the reader really feel for Otis. I man, he's growing into a young man, having all the sexual feelings, his mentally retarded, and is constantly beaten. I cried myself to sleep after this book. it was so sad. It made me think though. About how so many people, including me, worry over such petty things. What are they compared to true, heartbreaking stories, fiction or no?