Indian English Authors discussion

Movie Adaptations of books by Indian Authors

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ram (new)

Ram Which do you think is the best movie adaptation of a book by an Indian author. For me, I thought Guide was a brilliant adaptation though the book by RK Narayan undoubtedly was a masterpiece.

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 7 comments Ack, must head to the library now. How have I lived without knowing R.K. Narayan? Shame on me. For movies, the first thing that comes to mind is Slumdog Millionaire by Vikas Swarup. I've neither read the book nor seen the movie but it sure is getting a lot of press these days. Anyone seen or read?

message 3: by Jane (new)

Jane | 7 comments All the news outlets are reporting that Slumdog Millionaire swept the Oscars tonight. How wonderful!! I love seeing a more light-hearted movie win best picture. They traditionally have gone with very heavy drama. I must get out to see the movie. If anyone has read the book, I'd appreciate input as to whether one should definitely read the book before seeing the movie or if the movie is well done enough that reading first is not necessary.

message 4: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 5 comments Everyone who has seen 'Slumdog' and other Oscar nominees, and felt that Slumdog wasn't that good as compared to others, say aye.

message 5: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 5 comments I saw The Reader and finished Milk last night. They were way better than Slumdog.

message 6: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 5 comments Nice Article Megha. I wonder what he had to say about Slumdog though.

message 7: by Akshat (new)

Akshat Kohli | 1 comments i've read most of satyajit ray's books- the apu trilogy,feluda etc. but he didn't adapt his own books into movies very efficiently. pather panchali was a little over-hyped it wasn't that good.

message 8: by SHON (new)

SHON | 1 comments mp wrote: "The story of 'Slumdog Millionaire' is fairy tale-ish with a happy ending. So the movie doesn't make one feel sad. But the backdrop showing life in slums and orphans being forced to beg on streets i..."

Slumdog Millionaire is a pathetic movie. It was popular only 'coz of the hype created around it..not much of a substance it..one time watch maybe.

message 9: by L (new)

L The Namesake is worth watching. Much better than the book.
It comes to life mixing modern and traditional.

message 10: by Niranjana (new)

Niranjana Jagadeesan (heartoffiction) | 8 comments Brick Lane by Monica Ali was made into a movie in 2007. I haven't read the book and although the movie was rather slow it's worth watching for the ending.

message 11: by L (new)

L I read the book then saw the movie and liked them both. Very much.
Monica Ali's other book IN THE KITCHEN is sitting on my shelf.
No rush to read it as it not an Indian based story.
Oh well.

message 12: by L (new)

L Nira,

Did you ever find a copy of Kartography? I have one and would be happy to send it to you.

message 13: by Niranjana (new)

Niranjana Jagadeesan (heartoffiction) | 8 comments Leslee!!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH. How did you know I was looking for Kartography? I've been searching for a copy for almost 5 years now!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT BOOK. Seriously? You would send it to me?

message 14: by L (new)

L Oh Yes! And I read it on one of these discussions.E-mail me your address and I'll send it.

message 15: by Niranjana (new)

Niranjana Jagadeesan (heartoffiction) | 8 comments *SCREAMS* I love you :D

message 16: by Mala (new)

Mala Hussain | 1 comments mp wrote: "The story of 'Slumdog Millionaire' is fairy tale-ish with a happy ending. So the movie doesn't make one feel sad. But the backdrop showing life in slums and orphans being forced to beg on streets i..."

The book Q&A is brilliant, very different to the film. The film has changed basic concepts of the book which made it so magical. Hated what the film did with the character Salim. You must read the book!