Who's Your Author? discussion

Urban Fantasy Writers > Ilona Andrews

Comments Showing 1-50 of 319 (319 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Can't wait for Magic Strikes! And, as Jael so kindly pointed out, we must refer to Curran as BeastLord since it is much hotter...LOL

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Yeah, they've created a wonderful world. They don't take it easy on the reader though, as it's a lot to take in initially, but the pay-off is so worth it.

Bring on the Beast Lord! ;)

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that, DH! I found myself re reading alot lol. But, totally worth it, all Hail BeastLord

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Ahh I've been trying to get my hands on this series but my library system can't seem to locate their copies... eventually i will work harder to get them! lol

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Yes you must so we can have Magic Strikes be our group read in April :)

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Ooh yeah, we've definitely got to do a group read when it's released. =)

Nichole (DirrtyH) (dirtyh) lol. Sounds like even though it's not a first of the series, there are probably more than enough people here who would want to do it as a mini-read. I'll be reading Magic Burns soon, so I'll be ready!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Yes, I think the Magic series is a staple of the Urban Fantasy readers library lol

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Yeah, a mini read is probably best. I know it can be frustrating when a group read is on a new book in a series. This happens fairly regularly on the Barnes and Noble group I belong to. If there's enough advance notice I'll try out the series and try to read it all in time if I like it, but time doesn't always allow. Thankfully, in this case it's a small series right now, so only two books to read ahead of time.

message 10: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments So mini-read is when you have a book that is "optional"? Sounds good to me, then I guess we should do a mini-read for the next Mercy book, eh?

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments When people originally mentioned the mini group reads it was suggested that we could start a series and continue through to the end book.

If there are enough people who have read the series, then maybe we could do the new release as a mini group read.. or maybe we could even start with the first book as a mini group read as well.

By mid Feb I will create a poll to ask what people want.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments I wouldn't mind rereading the Mercy or Kate series, cause I find I miss bits the first run-through! So, whatever you say, oh wise Group Sherpa!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments What is a Sherpa anyway?

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments lol...

It started out as a joke with my boyfriend. Whenever we go to the mall to shop, he always calls me a mall sherpa because I know where everything is. So he said that I should label myself the group sherpa and keep everything organized here in the group.

the definition of a sherpa is: an expert chosen by a chief executive to assist in preparations for a summit meeting.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Why not have a new release discussion thread for each month that way the mini-group reads can stay the same? That way we could all discuss the Beastlord's sexiness. LOL and of course Adam and his sexy Alpha ways.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments I second that notion!!!!!!

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Okay.. let me see if I get what you're saying..

so you're suggesting to keep the mini group reads following the Patricia Briggs series and the Lilith Saintcrow.. and just having discussion threads on new release books (but not a group read)?

Did I get that right?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Ilona Andrews is an excellent new author, looking forward to #3.

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Any excuse to cozy up to Adam and the Beast Lord again, and I'm there! ;)

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Jess wrote: "Okay.. let me see if I get what you're saying..

so you're suggesting to keep the mini group reads following the Patricia Briggs series and the Lilith Saintcrow.. and just having discussion threads..."

That's right. That way those who have read farther in a series and want to discuss them can especially since there are a lot of new books coming out in Feb

message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura | 97 comments Do you think Adam would be offended if I called him Wolf Lord?

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) lol well that's sort of Brans title since he's the marrok. hmm we do need a sexier name than Adam.

message 23: by Laura (last edited Jan 24, 2009 05:34AM) (new)

Laura | 97 comments No offense Adam, love you baby, but come on, you know you like it! Wait, I am on the Ilona Andrews thread...I'm getting carried away sorry!

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Okay.. as per Laura and Jael's suggestion, I will create a new folder called New Releases.. and people can talk about the new books that are coming out that are involved in series. and then we can continue our mini group reads with the one's we're doing now.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) sounds great jess if you need any help with the threads let me know.

message 26: by Shanon (new)

Shanon (boban) Hey guys -

Ilona Andrews is accepting applications for a new Beta Reader. This is someone that will read parts of her upcoming novels and give her feedback. I'm not picky enough in my critiquing of other people's writting (in other words I love almost everything I read) so I don't think I'm a good fit - but I'm sure some of you Kate Daniels fans would be awesome! Here's a link to her blog:
http://ilona-andrews.com/2009/05/revi...

message 27: by K (new)

K | 51 comments I just finished the first three books, I am totally in love with this series and the author.

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Oakes (kellymoakes) Jess wrote: "Okay.. let me see if I get what you're saying..

so you're suggesting to keep the mini group reads following the Patricia Briggs series and the Lilith Saintcrow.. and just having discussion threads..."

OMG Have you read Lilith? I haven't found anyone that could get through them but me. I actuallt enjoyed them.
The Devil series.

message 29: by Misti (new)

Misti (mistify) I had heard so many good remarks about the Kate Daniels series that I bought all three of them...and read them in 3 days. Wow! I really needed something good while I wait for more Patricia Briggs. LOL now I'm waiting for more Ilona Andrews also. I will definitely be reading her new series that comes out this fall.

message 30: by Misti (new)

Misti (mistify) Ha ha...yes, I added her website to my favorites so I can check back often. I haven't had time to read the stories on there yet (LOL - between reading and trying to remember to go to work, I've been busy) but I definitely will make some time soon. :)

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I've been wanting to read this series. I actually started listening to Magic Bites on audiobook. But, I just couldn't handle the girl that read it! I am really not very picky when it comes to readers, but this one drove me crazy! You know how you can tell from a persons voice if they are smiling or not? Well, this girl sounded like she was scowling and snarling most of the time. I didn't get past the first disk.

I guess that I need to make a trip to the library to find the actual book. Can't listen to it!!!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Ilona just put up a story from Currans POV of the first meeting b/t he and Kate @ unicorn alley. It was written by Gordon http://bit.ly/avmGE

message 33: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So tonight at work I finally decided to just make myself continue listening to the audio book of Magic Bites. I really don't like the reader at all but I've kept hearing such great things about the book that I really want to read it. Once I kinda got used to the narrator, enough at least that I can ignore the tone of voice that she uses, I am really enjoying the story. I'm about 1/3 of the way into it and I'm glad that I gave it another try!

But, if you can get your hands on the actual book rather than the audiobook, do it! My library doesn't have the book so I had to settle on the audio even though I hate the reader!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Interesting. I own all of the books, but I also have the audio versions of them and I actually quite liked the narrator and was glad when Ilona said she'd be back to narrate Magic Strikes. hehe But, I'm glad you're enjoying the book! It's one of my favorite series and Magic Strikes is tied with Lover Avenged for the best book I've read this year. ;)

message 35: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I don't know, there is just something about her voice that really bothered me! But, luckily it was a good enough story that pretty soon it caught my attention enough that I wasn't paying attention to the narrators voice! I just finished Magic Bites last night. I really enjoyed it. I liked how it was a bit darker and edgier than a lot of the novels currently out in this genre. Plus, wow, Curran is very sexy! Much more so than the boring plastic surgeon guy she started going out with! By the sounds of things, I'm sure I'll be seeing much more of the beast lord in the next book!

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Yes, Curran is awesome and you will definitely be seeing more of him. ;)

They've created a really interesting world, and I like their alternative take on vampires, the idea of magic being "up" and "down" and its affect on the world. They also move away from the standard bad guy and bring in fascinating new creatures. And they've created really strong characters in Kate and Curran with a wonderful dynamic, and brilliant supporting characters like Jim and Derek. Just all around brilliant! ;)

message 37: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments I did like Magic Bites, I think this could be an intersting series, I too like all the new creatures... not sure when I'll get to the next book tho... so many great books, so little time... darn work LOL

message 38: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Okay, I don't know where the heck I've been but I knew about this series, I just never read it. I got the first book through paperbackswap. It was on my wish list and I wasn't even aware it was being mailed and it was just there on my desk waiting. I was like oooo okay, so I'll read this. Since then I've read the next 2 and am totally in love with this series.

Curran might just be the hottest character around!! I love the plot of the books, and I can't wait for the next one to come out. I just hope more happens with Curran and Kate :(

message 39: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments I still need to get the next 2 in the series, but have been obsessed with the Brothers as of late ;)

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments What's the brothers?? Maybe I can be obsessed too LOL

message 41: by Starling (new)

Starling | 176 comments Finished the third book in the series a few days ago and she is certainly someone to watch.

I find I like the more unusual universes. I love the magic going on an off and what that does to people's lives. I also love the fact that life goes on anyway.

message 42: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments Jess wrote: "What's the brothers?? Maybe I can be obsessed too LOL"

Referring to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward... c'mon you have to have heard about the Brothers!?

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments oh.. I read those already. I thought you may have been referring to another series lol

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) | 97 comments i don't know about you guys but i'm ready for the Must Love Hellhounds anthology. i like andrea & raphael and i want to see what happens with them. There's an excerpt from the story on Ilona's web page but i haven't had time to read it yet. Luckily, i have today off :)

message 45: by Susan (Suz) (new)

Susan (Suz) (sharney) | 292 comments Jess wrote: "oh.. I read those already. I thought you may have been referring to another series lol"

;)

message 46: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments This is a series that when I get a chance I will re read. And each time they seem to get better and better.

message 47: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I already feel like re-reading. I just read that the newest is going to come out later tha normal. :(

DarkHeart "Vehngeance" (DarkHeart) | 437 comments Jennifer wrote: "i don't know about you guys but i'm ready for the Must Love Hellhounds anthology...."

Definitely! I think it will be great. And the audiobook for Magic Strikes just came out a couple of weeks ago, so I'll listen to that ahead of time, and remind myself of Raphael's wooing techniques. LOL

message 49: by Jaime (new)

Jaime Rush (Jaime_Rush) | 126 comments I'm wondering what Magic readers think of On the Edge. I'm reading it now, and it's quite a bit different from the Kate series IMO. But I've only read Magic Strikes. I love On the Edge! Being a romance reader/author, I like that their relationship is front and center through the story. I love Declan! He's funny when he doesn't mean to be.

What do you all think?

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I've read her Magic series and the new book and although they are different I really like them both. I usually like when the romance also is upfront, but even in the Magic series, it's hard not to like Curran and Kate. The tension between them is what keeps me going back. It was nice though to pick up her other book and have a resolution in terms of romance at the end of the book.

I'm interested to see where she will take the next book in her edge series.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7