All Things Alice discussion

Favorite alice quotes?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou (new)

Lou K (lounamoth) | 2 comments post your favorite quotes from the books!

my most favorite is
"why, you're only a sort of thing in his dream"
--tweedle dee

"speak in french when you can't think of the english for a thing, turn out your toes as you walk, and remember who you are!"
--the red queen

"there goes bill!"
--w. rabbit and pat

"you alarm me! i feel faint! give me a ham sandwich!"
--the white king

"i shall sit here on and off for days and days"
--the frog footman

"It'll be no use their putting their heads down and saying "Come up again, dear!" I shall only look up and say "Who am I then? Tell me that first, and then, if I like being that person, I'll come up: if not, I'll stay down here till I'm somebody else"--but, oh dear!' cried Alice, with a sudden burst of tears, `I do wish they would put their heads down! I am so very tired of being all alone here!"
--alice

i'm sure i have more favorites, but that's what comes to mind right now!

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan (djunger) | 2 comments Great idea for a group! I found a version of the text online on this site if anyone wants to look up quotes that way.

This quote stuck with me from when I first read the book when I was 9 (which is now my eldest daughter's age):

"Give your evidence," said the King; "and don't be nervous, or I'll have you executed on the spot."

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you for this wonderful link! I see I used to say it wrong as here is the correct one:

`Talking of axes,' said the Duchess, `chop off her head!'

Alice glanced rather anxiously at the cook, to see if she meant to take the hint; but the cook was busily stirring the soup, and seemed not to be listening, so she went on again: `Twenty-four hours, I think; or is it twelve? I--'

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, maybe I was right:

The Queen turned crimson with fury, and, after glaring at her for a moment like a wild beast, screamed `Off with her head! Off--'

"OFF WITH HER HEAD!"

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 1 comments Curiouser and curiouser!

Keep your temper.

message 6: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (katniss1986) | 2 comments Take care of the sense and the sounds will take care of themselves!