The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Gilmore Girls Discussions > Finished Season 2 Tonight - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Sera I finished watching Season 2 of the Gilmore Girls tonight. I can't believe that Lorelei and Chris didn't get together AGAIN . I really like them together, but I guess that at some point, that Luke is going to be the guy.

Sukie got married - yay! I love her and her wedding cake was phenomenal.

And, hello, Rory, but Jake over Dean - c'mon, that boy is a super hottie!

I can't wait to start Season 3! Going to put it in the Netflix queue now.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Season 3 was a good one. You're going to love it. And it's Jess, not Jake. ;) And I was never a fan of Milo on GG, but he's uber hot on Heroes!

message 3: by Arielle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Arielle | 120 comments I actually liked Dean much better on his newer show Supernatural. I thought he was kind of a whiney-face on GG. And it's probably just me, but whenever Rory had to kiss her boyfriends it made me sad. She looks so young!

message 4: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Arielle I agree. I kind of got annoyed with Dean. It seems like the writers didn't really give him much to work with. I think during Season 1 - he was written as a much more intelligent match for Rory. Then in Season 2, they dumbed him down and made Jess the smart one.

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Arielle, the Rory kissing thing for me wasn't her age (Alexis was actually almost 19 when she started playing the 15 year old Rory) but Alexis' apparent issues with being touched. She would always stiffen up any time she had to hug or kiss people, even her mom or her boyfriends. It was very uncomfortable.

message 6: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Sarah - I have always noticed that about her. Whenever she had to hug her grandpa or Luke - I almost always cringed because she always looked so damn uncomfortable. Hmm..... I wonder what her deal is.

message 7: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Sera At Rory's age, I would take a dumb Dean any day of the week - what a hottie!

I'm so glad that y'all noticed that Rory is awkward when it comes to physical contact. Do you think it's Alexis? Or, is it Alexis playing Rory? Maybe because Rory is a very verbal person that she has trouble when it comes to the physical? Just a thought...

By the way, Sara Gilbert on Roseanne was super awkward whenever she kissed David, her boyfriend on the show. My husband and I still cringe at the kissing scenes when we watch the reruns. Eck!

message 8: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Yeah, Sera, I took the awkwardness of touching as part of Rory's character. I mean she and her mom would snuggle to watch movies or whatever, but the never really hugged, you know? And especially with men I could understand it. Plus, when it comes to more innocent girls (characters) kissing, I think that it is really appropriate.

message 9: by Dottie (new)

Dottie  (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Well -- I don't recall Dean as being portrayed as an intellectual match for Rory at any time really -- though it could be just me. BUT -- I LOVED Milo/Jess from the start and Dean stood no chance in comparison.. Jess seemed the James Dean look/bad boy to Rory's quiet good girl (with a couple of major misteps there) -- but I think Jess/Rory would have hampered Lorelai/Luke too much maybe.

Just throwing some thoughts out there -- but I vote Jess -- even over Logan -- though I think that would have worked, too.

message 10: by Sera (new)

Sera I'm only on Season 3 - please warn me if you are going to provide spoilers. Thanks.

message 11: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
I've only watched up to season 2 and some episodes of season 3, but I've always taken Dean's side because I think Rory was being unfaithful and unfair to him. I guess that's what made me dislike her so much in the second season: her unfaithfulness. And obviously it doesn't endear Jess to me either... but I like his bookishness, though. On the other hand, I love Milo in Heroes too, Sarah!

Arielle, I LOVE Supernatural, which deep down beneath the horror is actually a show about family like GG. I also like Jared Padalecki better there, in which he plays Dean's brother instead of Dean ;-)

message 12: by Jenna (new)

Jenna (jentobox) | 16 comments Oh my gosh Sera! I'm so sorry! I just got so into blogging there for a second. Sorry.

message 13: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments i just started watching the series recently on ABC Family. It was Season 6 when I first got going, but then they started back at the beginning with season 1. Now they're in the middle of season 2.

Today they just introduced Jess. I'd seen him in Season 6 but didn't know how he fit in, I was just really excited to see Milo from Heroes on the show. SO I was kind of pleased to find out he was Luke's nephew. makes me like him all the more. can't wait for tomorrow's episode!

I also have to agree that it seems they tried to dumb down Dean in season two and make him all clingy. he was The Man at Rory's school dance but now he seems all wussified.

message 14: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

"Wussified." Heh.

message 15: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Dec 14, 2007 07:04PM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
One thing I liked about the writing on this show...I liked a little bit of everybody. I liked Dean AND Jess, Luke AND Christopher. O.K., no use for Logan whatsoever. But, the other boys...I liked. I liked Marty a little bit. He had his moments. I HATED that scene where they went to that expensive restaraunt, and Marty couldn't pay. So sad.

message 16: by Freya (new)

Freya | 19 comments Yah, sad. I am on season 5 so I don't know yet but does Rory ever date Marty?

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments I noticed that, too, about Rory's reluctance regarding physical contact. Especially in the later seasons, when she's kissing Logan, and she's drawing away from him the whole time. I mean, they're supposed to be sleeping together, c'mon. I remember mentioning this to my husband, and he just gave me a blank look. Sigh, to be understood...priceless.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth | 173 comments Did anyone see "Sin City"? I thought it was awesome, but I just didn't buy Alexis Bledel as a prostitute and part of a gang of Amazon women. I did like the way they did the coloration, though, making her big blue eyes stand out. I did think she was adorable in "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" - that character really suited her. That was an all around amazing cast.

message 19: by Freya (new)

Freya | 19 comments How old is Alexis? She always plays tennageers...

message 20: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

I just looked. She's 26. I just went out with a guy younger than her. Super weird.

I was surprised and delighted by how well The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants turned out. You're right, the casting was good. But what I liked was that it wasn't the typical teen movie (a guilty pleasure of mine) but had real depth.

Sin City was visually interesting and enjoyable, but I guess the graphic part of the graphic novel was a bit too much for me.

message 21: by Freya (new)

Freya | 19 comments Thanks whichwaydidshego! Does anyone know what Lauren Graham is up to? I haven't seen her in a while!

message 22: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (new)

All I can see on IMDB slated for her is a movie in post-production called Flash of Genius. Otherwise, no idea.

You can call me Michele if you like, Freya! By the way, that's a really pretty name!

message 23: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments also need to mention - i loved that they played "Girl From Mars" when Jess gave back Rory's book with comments in the margins.

other than the book incident though, I'm having trouble seeing Jess' allure at the moment. he's got good looks but he's mostly just been a major brat so far. it'll be interesting to see how that relationship develops.

message 24: by Sera (new)

Sera Arctic, Jess' allure for me is that he's the bad boy who likely has a sensitive side (my assumption is based on all the reading that he does). Good girls have a tendency to be suckers for bad boys - I know I was! My husband was a bad boy when I met him, but he's squishie at heart, which I really love about him - but don't let him know that I know that he's squishie inside ;)

message 25: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments I have to admit that I seriously, could not stand Dean. I thought he was sweet in the puppy dog kind of way Season 1, but man, I wanted to smack the stupid grin off his face come Disc 3 Season 2. I swear it! He really irked me! He was so controlling and whiney and just, blah.

I wasn't exactly a huge Jess fan either. But I have to admit, Rory wasn't always the most mature which is why she was so real. Because girls really do react like that a lot.

And nothing pissed me off more than Rory's behavior with Logan towards the end of Season 6 but we won't go there now... *makes mean face*

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Sera, I'm so right there with you on the bad boy with a sensitive side thing. And eventually, bad boys need to grow up and become real men. But more on that when you get to season 6.

message 27: by Arielle (new)

Arielle | 120 comments I also loved Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I made my hubby buy it for me! The issues that they raised were almost universal, and I thought they dealt with it honestly. Like the blonde girl's story (totally blanked on the name), it was so great how they showed her remorse over her decisions. And the little girl's story line makes me weep, especially the video! Even though I guess you could classify it as a teeny-bopper movie, I say it's worth the watch. Isn't it a book actually?

message 28: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments yes it's a book and even better as a book if i do say so. the movie was cute though and i thought Alexis played the part well...Greece looked wonderful. wish i had relatives that lived there.

also have to mention that i loved the season two episode i watched yesterday where Rory gets accused of being a loner for reading books at lunch and Lorelai puts on a fashion show for Boosters. lots of funny moments in that one.

message 29: by Megs (last edited Dec 18, 2007 04:04PM) (new)

Megs | 3 comments Lauren (first name basis! hahaha) was in Toronto about month ago filming a movie!!! Never ran into her at Starbucks or anything :(
Not sure what the movie was........

message 30: by Cody (new)

Cody Wilshire (codywilshire) | 85 comments Megs, it's called 'Flash of Genius' with Greg Kinnear, it's by Marc Abraham (who's done everything from Dawn of the Dead, to Bring It On, Slither, etc).

They filmed in a few parts of Canada as well as LA.

message 31: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments in today's season two episode Dean had his first bout of jealousy towards Jess. Jess apparently is the new and improved Tristan. no wonder Tristan had to be taken out of the picture.

i must admit i did like the dead body prank Jess pulled though.

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I think Tristan left the show when he got on One Tree Hill. All these kids leaving the show for other WB shows! At least three, anyway.

message 33: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Well, okay, my heart is broken. I had to read this thread because I'm totally getting a GG obsession. I just finished Disc 2, Season 1 and still have a crush on Dean. Well, this is how they take us through the roller-coaster of life with Rory and Lorelai.

message 34: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Robbie, step away from the spoilers!

But seriously... they surely wouldn't have Rory live happily ever after with her first boyfriend, would they? Where's the drama in that? lol.

But don't worry. Dean's around for a while. ;)

message 35: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I just finished Season 2 now. It annoys me that Netflix sends one CD at a time, and often the last one only has, like, 2 episodes!

How do they do this to me? When Rory and Dean first got together, I had such a big crush on him. Now that Jess is in the picture, I'm sooooo wishing Rory would just dump Dean! The "unfaithful" part doesn't bother me so much, because I think Rory truly doesn't understand what's happening with her. She reminds me a lot of me as a teenager--feels so committed to staying with her boyfriend because it's "the right thing to do" that she can't recognize openly to herself how attracted she is to someone else. Oh, all that unspoken stuff between Rory and Jess! I wanted their kiss to last forever. That this 40+ year-old can be so completely transported back to high school that I'm nearly brought to tears is just amazing to me.

What conflicting emotions, too, with regard to Luke vs. Chris. I really like Luke, but I also think Chris works well with the family. So smiley and cute!

message 36: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I know, Robbie! I was always kind of pulling for Chris, too.

message 37: by Sera (new)

Sera Oh, Robbie, I had the 2 episode disc. I felt so cheated. I'm halfway through Season 3 so you have someone who is close to the same parts as you are :)

I love Dean and still love Dean; that boy made me want to be 17 again. Jess is kind of a jerk, and frankly, I find him a bit digusting. He is so much hotter on Heroes. Also, we talked about this before but Rory looks so awkward kissing, that I can't stand to watch. T

They really did start to dumb Dean down after they had made us fall in love with him. I felt bad that they are making it look like he isn't up to par intelligence-wise with Rory - I would rather him be the "one that go away".

Dean aside, I love the show, and no matter how stressed I am, I can go to Stars Hollow and get wrapped up in the lives of the residents to the point where I feel compeletely relaxed and happy.

message 38: by Sera (new)

Sera Ooooh, and one more thing, I adore Chris - I think that he and Lorelei are mirror images of each other. I think that they would have been great fun.

message 39: by Gizmology (new)

Gizmology | 10 comments Dean at the Dance! Wow, I'd forgotten about that episode -- now I remember that when I first watched that one, I rewound the Badass Stud scene at least three times because he was the exact guy that would've made school dances as thrilling as they were supposed to be! I always thought of Dean as the quintessential Good Guy, and Jess, by comparison just seemed like a whiny little attention-grabber -- starting trouble and being rude and mean just never seemed like endearing qualities to me -- like if a guy wouldn't take the trouble to be friendly with my parents, I figured he obviously didn't care about me too much, so why bother with him?

I definitely agree though about the change between seasons --at the end, the Dean that Rory sees around town is so far away from the one at the dance, or the one *sigh* that brought her the bracelet, that it's almost like a different person altogether.

message 40: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments I think Dean started to annoy me at the dance. I thought that was very innapropriate, disrespectful, and our first inkling of his insecurity and possessiveness.

I was annoyed with Jess, too. I got really frustrated when he didn't tell Lorelai the whole story about the bracelet. (He didn't steal it, only kept it because it was something of Rory's, and returned it, albeit secretly, when he found out it was so important to her.)

Even if they hadn't changed Dean--I agree they did--he didn't really ever have great conversations with Rory about books, etc. He was entering Lorelai's and Rory's world by watching their movies, etc. Jess, though, was already enjoying some of the same things.

I guess I prefer the "diamond in the rough" type.

Jess only being nice to Rory and few others probably made it all the more flattering.

message 41: by Angie (last edited Sep 08, 2008 09:37AM) (new)

Angie | 511 comments I had no idea that was Dean in Supernatural until this thread! That is crazy! And I love Jess... must be that whole bad boy thing.