Chicks On Lit discussion

Guilty Pleasure Books

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I am in need of a new guilty pleasure author/series. My sister in law turned me on to the Janet Evanovich numbers series which I just had so much fun with but I've read them all to date. I seriously love having the guilty pleasure book to read in between books like War and Peace of Pillars of the Earth or something a bit more meaty.
I'm not a big fan of romance or ultra chick lit but I would love to hear your recommendations.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
You sold me simply by calling them "delicious reading" I love that!

message 3: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments My guilty pleasure books are anything by Jodi Picoult (I have to ration them to myself). I've never read Evanovich, but reading about her books you might like the number series by James Patterson (the Women's Murder Club books).

Kate, it's funny, but a good friend of mine was just talking about starting the Sookie Stackhouse series; I'd never heard of them and here it is twice in 1 week... maybe I should look into them.

message 4: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Oh... Jodi's great. They're quick, but they make you think as they deal in tough moral and legal dilemas. My first of her's was The Pact- it's about a supposed suicide pact, but one person lives, so he gets charged with her murder. I hear they're also making her book My Sister's Keeper into a movie, it's about a teen whose sister has terminal cancer and the main character was "created" as a donor... Not the cheeriest of topics, I know, but the characters and plots just pull you in.

message 5: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I tried Jodi Picoult and it made me angry. I heard all her endings are like that and I would have to have anger managment if thats the case.

message 6: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments Yeah, all her books are pretty much like that. I've noticed people either love her or hate her. To each their own. :)

message 7: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (chamilton12) Jodi Picoult is amazing. I would recommend The Pact, My Sister's Keeper, or 19 Minutes. Her stories don't always have a happy ending but neither does life.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments My guilty pleasure is anything by James Patterson. Got to love Alex Cross..... and the Womens Murder Club books are good as well... but Alex is my fav.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Tera, have you tried Luanne Rice books? Beach girls is my fav.

OH! Since you like gardening, have you read The Garden Trilogy by Nora Roberts?! Blue Dahlia, Black Rose and Red Lily. Romance (hot & sweet), mystery and a ghost... 3 of my fav's - LOVE them!

message 10: by Sonja (new)

Sonja (crvena_sonja) | 305 comments I happen to love the Hannah Swensen mysteries by Joanne Fluke. Start with Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. All of hers are have a food theme as the main character owns a cookie shop/bakery in a small town in Minnesota (with a blossoming crime spree). She's really great though because of her personality and the fact that her mothers trying to get her married while she hasn't really decided yet... yeah.

These are a light fun read and have "her" recipes scattered through the books as well!

message 11: by Holli (new)

Holli Im going to agree with Kat and Jo both...I love all 3 of those authors and read them all the time.

message 12: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments The Sookie Stackhouse series is definitely fun & "delicious"! I'm on the 2nd one right now.

message 13: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (samaranthine) | 10 comments I love erotica. In between profound/exhausting reads I have to have a tawdry tale or two, especially if it's really fantastical like Laurell K Hamilton or just life-affirming like Anais Nin's collections of short stories.

message 14: by Peanut (new)

Peanut | 149 comments Guilty pleasure - Gossip Girl series. I'm so not a teenager anymore but I find this series fun.

message 15: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I'm also guily of Gossip Girl - and all the spin offs. Definitely Twilight...and the Sookie Stackhouse Series. I ate those up and read the eight available books in about a week.

message 16: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments I too like to read something fun between meaty type reads. I don't go for romance in a chicklitty over the top way but I do like serious books whether romance or whatever if they have a fun side. I like Marion Keyes (an Irish writer I believe) she has a few books that are all about this family of sisters starting with Watermelon. Each books focus is on that sister. I have 6 of my own so thought it was a fun idea. :)

message 17: by Christi (new)

Christi | 7 comments Tera- You might like Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews. It has the same feel as the Stephanie Plum series. I also like Motor Mouth by Evanovich. Jodi Piccoult IMO is a great author. When she writes on a subject she really makes you look at both sides of the story. My great pleasure lately has been The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.

message 18: by Brittany (new)

Brittany (missbrittany) | 336 comments Another JP fan. My 3 faves so far- My Sister's Keeper, Plain Truth, and Nineteen Minutes A novel.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Christri, I really liked Savannah Blues also! Great book. I'll have to check out the Steph. Plum series too.

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth Larabee | 52 comments I second the Twilight series! I may have to try the Sookie Stackhouse ones, now you all have my interest up!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I'm a Marion Keyes fan too. I love that Walsh family.

message 22: by Melinda (new)

Melinda | 13 comments Sookie Stackhouse books, i'm currently on number 8. Also Historical Romance, anything by julia quinn or lisa kleypas.

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 532 comments another Mary Kay Andrews fan...she's funny.

message 25: by Felisha (new)

Felisha (sunkissedthoughts) | 4 comments Erotica, is my guilty pleasure. A stemy scene or short story before bed is great!

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 35 comments The Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty is my guilty pleasure reading! I love them and the fifth one is coming out in April!

message 27: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments Definitely suggest anything by Marion Keyes. Don't be fooled- she's not your typtical "chic lit." And all the stories tie in to eachother, yet can be read out of order or singlely

message 28: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) | 143 comments ps- Allison did you say the 5th Jessica Darling book is coming out in April? I love that series, so thats good/exciting news for me! :)

message 29: by Kim (new)

Kim I agree with Anastasia completely about Marian Keyes, one of my favorite authors, she is both hilarious and heartwarming. Her characters are wonderful as well.

message 30: by Mary (last edited Jan 28, 2009 01:21PM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Guilty Pleasures:

Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Series
Deborah Crombie Mysteries "Leave the Grave Green"
Cooking Narratives - "Memories of a Lost Egypt", "How to Eat"

oh, and I almost forgot......

People Magazine :)

message 31: by Suze (new)

Suze (suzed) | 68 comments If you like Evanovich, you'll probably like Lisa Scottoline equally well. Same type of mystery writing, strong female characters, nice twists....

I loved the Outlander Series, by Diana Gabaldon, and the Wilderness Saga by Sara Donati..

and I too am guilty of reading the junky but interesting People magazine!

message 32: by Suze (new)

Suze (suzed) | 68 comments I too love Jodi Piccoult books - somehow she always draws you in, makes you think, identify with some of the characters, and holds your interest.
I just read an older JP, 'Salem Falls', which was great and had a *lot* of surprising twists, esp. near the end. Will read that one again after awhile!

message 33: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Love both the Charlaine Harris books and Janet Evanovich... another series I love features a NYC magazine writer who falls into mysteries as often as she falls in and out of love... kind of a chick lit/mystery blend... I think there are three or four... the first in the series is: If Looks Could Kill by Kate White... they're all fun!

message 34: by LinBee (new)

LinBee I tried the Sookie Stackhouse books, and I couldn't get into them. I wanted to try again though, because it might have just been the time that I tried them. My guilty pleasure author is Laurell K. Hamilton. I just love her writing. I also like Simon R. Green and Terry Pratchett. I like Jodi Picoult ok, I liked My Sister's Keeper and Nineteen Minutes, but I started The Pact 3 times and just couldn't finish it.

message 35: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 35 comments Anastasia, yes you can get the 5th Jessica Darling book in April! Woo hoo!

Ooh, I also like Kristin Hannah books, that's another guilty pleasure - I guess she's kind of like romance, but there's usually a twist - I recommend Magic Hour, it was awesome!

message 36: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Oh Allison, I have Magic Hour sitting here waiting to be read! Glad to hear you liked it so much; I'll start it probably next.
I've been into pleasure books lately; Sherryl Woods, Susan Wiggs, Jodi Thomas, Sarah Addison Allen-Garden Spells. Seems like I go in spurts between light 'guilty pleasure' books and heavier books.

message 37: by Allison (new)

Allison (theallisonnelson) | 35 comments Cindy, I totally recommend you reading it next! I really enjoyed it :)

message 38: by Cathie (last edited Jan 29, 2009 10:11AM) (new)

Cathie (countrygarden) | 95 comments if you like mysteries the sue grafton books are fun, i read a stuart woods and john sanford for the first time last year. i really liked john sanford, fast paced and intrigue. i'm not much of a romance reader either, like the murder and mayhem of mysteries i guess...

message 39: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (countrygarden) | 95 comments do you consider amy bloom guilty pleasure or heavy reading, haven't tried her yet and see her name a lot in this group. just wondering

message 40: by Dorie (last edited Feb 07, 2009 12:07AM) (new)

Dorie (wheeledk) | 22 comments Suze wrote: "If you like Evanovich, you'll probably like Lisa Scottoline equally well. Same type of mystery writing, strong female characters, nice twists....

I loved the Outlander Series, by Diana Gabaldon,..."

Suze - The Outlander books are one of my favorite guilty pleasure reads! I like to pretend that I'm getting a good history lesson...but really I just want more Jamie!

message 41: by Renee (new)

Renee (renchan5) | 2 comments I`m also a huge fan of the Stephanie Plum novels. :D My other guilty pleasures are the Wallflower books by Lisa Kleypas.

message 42: by Amanda (last edited Feb 07, 2009 07:42AM) (new)

Amanda | 11 comments Elizabeth Berg is probably my number one guilty pleasure author. When I see that she has a new book out, I get all excited and a squirmy...Also I finished the 1st Sookie Stackhouse novel a few months ago: Dead Until Dark. If you love vampire stories, this is about as pleasurable as it gets! Oh! Also...I read this fabulous cooking memoir last year called Julia and Julia. Simply delicious ;)

message 43: by Cathie (last edited Mar 25, 2009 08:48AM) (new)

Cathie (countrygarden) | 95 comments I like the mainstream mystery novels for guilty pleasure books and found a new author I hadn't tried. Amanda Cross and I read "Honest Doubt" and it was pretty good. It takes place in the academic world which I've not experienced much of so found it very interesting, how competitive things can get between the professors and such. The author did make her weight a big issue in the story, which was annoying at first, but then I realized that was part of the character's personality portrayal.

message 44: by Kumkum (new)

Kumkum Hello Cathie:

My name is kumkum and I am a brand new member:). Since you liked Amanda Cross, here is a little bit of "history."

Amanda Cross is a pseudonym for Carolyn Heilbrun. CH used to be the head of the dept. of English at Columbia, amid much furor at that time, as this used ot be an old boys dept. (might still be). She wrote under a pseudonym, she says, becasue writing anythign non-academic would have been death to her chances for tenure. She has also written many very readable books about women, especially "Writing a Woman's life" under her name of CH. You can now actually get Amanda Cross books even if you google Carolyn Heilbrun: she "outed:)"

Have you read Dick Francis? Mystery writer of yesteryear, with all the politically incorrect insensitive faults of yesteryear: but once I got past that (took some getting by, as his language sound racist, and I am Indian:)), he is a very, very interestign writer. If you are in the market for exploring mystery writers for guilty pleasure, I wd recommned his "High Kicks" highly (ugh!).

With warm regards

Kumkum