FATTIES UNITE! discussion

Information/Resources > Books- Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) So has anyone read any really motivational books lately? I'm still reading Half Assed which I really like. Any good books in January that you read?

message 2: by mary elizabeth (last edited Jan 23, 2009 12:14PM) (new)

mary elizabeth  Williams I love the book French Women Don't Get Fat and French Women for All Seasons. They changed the way I think about food and my lifestyle habits. I love her philosophy about actually feeding your body for exercise. Its a totally new outlook, and put so gracefully.
And although I have not read it, I like Michael Pollen's ideas from the Omnivore's Dilemma.
I also recently read Rethinking Thin by Gina Kolata (who also writes for the NYT), which was all about the history of dieting fads and recent studies on weight loss comparing a low carb diet and low calorie diet. I would not say that one is uplifting however, in fact, its all about how people fail! But its good to know your enemy, and what you are facing, I guess.
I would love to hear more suggestions!!

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (randymandy) | 557 comments Mod
*sigh*
I feel like I haven't read a book in a hundred years...

message 4: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Sounds like you've been too busy with other stuff Amanda... :)!!

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 90 comments Mod
I just finished a couple books; by Jon Gordon. The Energy Bus and The No Complaining Rule. I think I need to read that last one again! HA! The books are kind of for corporations but you use them for everyday life too. They are extemely easy reads, flip through the Energy Bus and see what you think. Or he has a website http://www.jongordon.com/ and see what you think.

message 6: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) Man, I should really try the No Complaining Rule. Some weeks I complain a lot more than others.

mary elizabeth  Williams Has anyone read Bob Greene's new book?
I find reading books about health and weight loss can be really inspirational. But, I think I've read to many already along similar lines.

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I downloaded a sample on my Kindle. The smoothie recipes looked interesting enough. I was tempted to get it, but just couldn't jump to make the purchase. I'm not much of a chef so I think that's probably why I didn't get it. I'm with you on that one Beth, I like motivational books as well.

mary elizabeth  Williams
Mindless Eating Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink
Hi Everyone, If you are looking for an interesting book, I highly suggest it. Its really good at explaining recent research on food/ eating patterns of modern life-- and how things like the size of your plate influence how much you eat or how we use visual cues to decide how full we are (or should be).
I would not say that its helpful or motivational, but its great to understand more about how our brains work. Its a short, informative read!

message 10: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I read that book. It was good. I too recommend it.