Chicks On Lit discussion

Can a Book Club Get Too Big?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (last edited Jan 22, 2009 12:25PM) (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments I was browsing other book clubs today on goodreads and participating on a few interesting threads when it occurred to me that some book clubs just get too big. I know it's the big thing to have a lot of members - as it puts your/our book club on the goodreads map, draws more people in based on it's numbers but can there be too much of a good thing...that is members? I can only imagine what it was like for these clubs when they were just a handful of people.....but wow...there are a few massive ones out there that have enormous discussion lists.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2533 comments Mod
I think those numbers for the most part are smoke and mirrors. We have over 800 members but I would guess about 10% are active (active as in actively posting). I also think it is a fine line of creating folders in a group. I struggle with creating enough to keep conversations going but not so many that it is overwhelming. I also think a lot depends on how fast they get big. If you grow at a steady pace and people are given the time to get to know each other it provides a strong foundation for the group. I might get roasted for saying it but I'm also not sure how you have a group of 1200 people that have twilight as their center theme or even one genre. There has to be diversity yet not so restricted good discussions cant go forward.
I'd rather have a small group that has flowing discussions than a huge group where the same 10
people take part.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Crabtree (boonebridgebookscom) | 88 comments Tera - that's right / creating folders can get mucked up on these larger sites and I really appreciate it that you keep ours organized and concise. I too have wondered how you can keep active in a group that only talks about one author.
It must be a testimony for how many people read the Twilight series and go to the internet to find a format to properly convey their enthusiasm. I would also think that participation of members is short lived.

Gosh, now I'm sounding like a critic and I'm not....I just love being able to pop into book clubs - but I was really struck today with how different book clubs can be and how the really big ones are a lot less rewarding (for me)

message 4: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2533 comments Mod
Thanks for posting this thread. It got me thinking and I decided to combine Past and Upcoming Book Club Chat. Basically the only thing in upcoming gets moved to Current eventually anyways and then to Past when the month is over. This will combine them and eliminate a useless folder. And hopefully keep things easier to follow.