Indie Book Club discussion

Marketing > Marketing tips & tricks

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Jeffrey Poole (Jaymikal) | 2287 comments Mod
All general marketing questions, suggestions, techniques, etc, can be openly discussed here.

Has anyone else with several books in the same series tried the "make book 1 free and see how book 2 does" strategy?

I first learned of it from the author of Emperor's Edge, Lindsay Buroker. I've since gone on to her Goodreads group to thank her. She was very nice and said she was glad to help.

message 2: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

And has anyone else noticed an increase in sales from one of the different Amazon stores?

Spain's sales have dramatically increased. Really makes me wish my Spanish was good enough where I'd trust myself to translate my own book.

message 3: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

You know, there's a question. Is anyone aware of book translation services? I can only imagine it'd be expensive as heck, but I'd be curious to know what it'd take to get a book translated into another language.

I'll have to look that one up.

message 4: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments The first book in my Adelheid Series ("Cameron's Law") is free, and I think I probably wouldn't have any sales of the second if not for that. There is such a wealth of books in the paranormal genre these days.

I can't say I've seen many sales outside of US and UK, though.

message 5: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Up until last month, it was the same for me. I don't know why they started downloading from Spain, as I wouldn't actively pursue a book in another language, but it's happening.

No arguments here! :) I'm researching the whole book translation right now. I'm just curious to see what it entails, how much it'd be, etc.

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Yeah, I have no clue on that one, but good luck with it!

message 7: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

There's a really interesting "How To" article that I found. Apparently Word 2007 has a built-in translator. Go figure! It'll take the text you highlight and upload (temporarily) to a place called WorldLingo.com and it'll convert the document into a whole bunch of different languages.

Now, whether or not it's accurate remains to be seen. Me and my four years of Spanish thought it looked pretty good. I took my Disneyland Debacle short story and converted it to Spanish. It looks really good! The only way to tell for certain how well it works would be to find a bilingual Spanish speaker and have them read both versions of the story and let me know how it did.

Hmmmm. This bears some more investigation. One of my wife's employees speaks fluent Spanish. Might have to call in a favor... :)

message 8: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Man, the more I think about it, the more excited I get. I could translate it into French, German, and Italian as well as Spanish.

Might appeal to more native speaking people and might garner more sales.

Will definitely have to test. The WorldLingo site also says it offers human translation services. Interesting...

message 9: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Stark Jeffrey wrote: "There's a really interesting "How To" article that I found. Apparently Word 2007 has a built-in translator. Go figure! It'll take the text you highlight and upload (temporarily) to a place calle..."

Jeffrey; contact me... send me two or three paragraphs of the Spanish translation along with the English originals... I'll compare and tell you how good or bad it is: I do Spanish/English translations for a living

message 10: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Stark Jeffrey wrote: I can only imagine it'd be expensive as heck, but I'd be curious to know what it'd take to get a book translated into a..."

You're right in this one: a pro will charge something around US$ 2-3K for a straightforward translation... and they won't even do the necessary changes into Spanish dialogue conventions nor fix a paragraph or sentence when it somehow falls flat during the conversion.... "just the translation, Madam"

message 11: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Stark Jeffrey wrote: "Man, the more I think about it, the more excited I get. I could translate it into French, German, and Italian as well as Spanish.

Might appeal to more native speaking people and might garner mo..."

German versions of your English work will hold well on a automatic-translation basis; both languages are distantly related. However, Spanish, Italian and French will be trickier. They're Roman languages (based on Latin); the people in Spain and Italy will be a lot forgiving when you don't get an idiom right... however, the French will line up and knock at your door to skin you alive for even the slighest misuse of their language.

message 12: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Edwin - thanks, I appreciate it! It'll probably translate it into a child's grammar, but I am curious as hell.

Which e-mail would you like me to send it to?

message 13: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Edwin, you say that you translate for a living? Have you ever professionally translated a book from English into Spanish?

Not sure what's going on with Spain, but sales have seriously picked up there, not that I'm complaining. :)

message 14: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (last edited Aug 05, 2012 01:27PM) (new)

PJ - lets take up the marketing chat over here. I have no problems hosting any and all marketing questions here.

message 15: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments The free flow of ideas and conversation can lead to surprising results. :)

As such... I've never done a goodreads giveaway before, but am considering it here in the near future. Can anyone tell me how complicated they are/how they usually go?

message 16: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

PJ - I can't stress enough what a good idea it'd be if you're able to drop the first book in a series to free, then to do so. My own sales exploded when I did that. Royalties when from the slightest of trickles to just recently surpassing my mortgage payment. It's crazy.

Those who enjoy the first book in your series will definitely look you up to see what else you've one.

message 17: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Hi Mia -

They're very easy to do. Just go to www.goodreads.com/giveaway and click on List a Giveaway and follow the instructions. They'll ask you what the isbn is for the print copy you're giving away, what countries you'd be willing to send to, how many copies, etc.

It's a fantastic way to get more exposure for your book. When I started doing the giveaways my first book was on maybe 6 people's TBR list. Now it's on over 500. I have people purchasing book 2 after looking me up on here and my blog.

Let us know if you do! I'll sign up for a copy of whatever you're giving away!

message 18: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments You're a doll, Big J, thanks. :)

...though I was told by a male friend once that that phrase isn't a good one and was instructed to say "you're an action figure" instead...

So, you're an action figure, Big J, thanks!

message 19: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (last edited Aug 05, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

*grins*

message 20: by Eric (new)

Eric Quinn (eqknowles) | 370 comments Mod
I recommend doing the giveaway. I got 65 TBR's from my first one. Planning to run my second in a couple of weeks.

message 21: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Scott (Bookblogger) | 1315 comments Mod
I think people should go to the best book blog ever and use it to get some attention.

message 22: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

LOL! I'm going to create a banner for the Bakkian Chronicles series so you can put that on there!

That is, if the offer is still open?

message 23: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

LOL! I'm going to create a banner for the Bakkian Chronicles series so you can put that on there!

That is, if the offer is still open?

message 24: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

Yep that's fine. I need to go through a few different banners to see if it does anything so I can get an idea of what to charge.

message 25: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I'm wondering if I should make it generic (Bakkian Chronicles) or maybe specific to book III? Hmmm, I think logically it should be about the third book.

I'll get working on it.

message 26: by Edwin (last edited Aug 06, 2012 10:51AM) (new)

Edwin Stark Jeffrey wrote: "Edwin, you say that you translate for a living? Have you ever professionally translated a book from English into Spanish?

I basically translate intruction booklets and articles, but I've translated at least two books...
The authors decided in the end to delay the decision concerning their publication.

message 27: by Edwin (new)

Edwin Stark Jeffrey wrote: "I'm wondering if I should make it generic (Bakkian Chronicles) or maybe specific to book III? Hmmm, I think logically it should be about the third book.

I'll get working on it."

To be on the safe side, design BOTH

message 28: by Eric (new)

Regarding the Jeff's banner: I agree with promoting the series and Book III together.

message 29: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Is there a standard size for a promotional banner? Or does it matter?

message 30: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

I honestly have no idea. B threw some numbers at me when he gave me the banner, but I have no idea what they were. I'll try to find them.

Sorry for the delay in response I have been basically bed ridden with the flu for the past couple of days. I don't know that I have ever been this sick. I haven't even been able to read. Blah

message 31: by Mia (new)

Mia Darien (mia_darien) | 425 comments Oh, man, sorry to hear that, Scott! I hope you're feeling better!

message 32: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Ouch! Well, get better soon! Just keep those nasty bugs over there in Ohio or I'll sic a few dozen guur on you. :)

message 33: by Scott, Fabled Reviewer o' Tales! (new)

My flu would wipe out the guur as a species. I haven't ever been to sick to get out of bed, I used to love being sick cuz I would have a fever and get to stay home from school but always felt fine.

message 34: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Nicol | 14 comments I've been toying with the idea of turning my last book into an audiobook if only so I can do all the crazy voices I came up with while writing. I have the microphone and the audio editing program, now to just find time and learn to stand the sound of my own voice. Something like that though I think I would give away for free. As an unknown author I don't expect anyone to pay for that. As far as marketing though-- I mean has anyone else done such? Did it help sales? I have this tendency to just do what I want and if the reader follows along awesome. In other words, I do not have a head for marketing.

message 35: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Welcome to the club, Kathryn!

I've read Nik's Knacks and really enjoyed it! As for me, no, I haven't ever made an audio book. I don't think I could stand my own voice, either!

message 36: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Nicol | 14 comments I know, and I'm grateful to you!

message 37: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Hi - I have a marketing question. I am having problems formatting the book's item description on Amazon. I read a post in the Kindle forums that suggests you can use simple html tags, but when I tried updating the description via the KDP pages, all the tags were stripped out upon publication. I can see on other book pages that it is possible. Does anyone know how to make this work?

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Steph, the best way to make your book's item description how you want is to use Author Central. Trying to do it in the KDP pages won't work very well. In Author Central, you can use HTML, and it gives you a preview of what it will look like, so you know if the HTML code works how you want. Then it goes onto your Amazon book page after a little while, and will go to the other Amazon countries sites. You have to do the description separately for your Kindle and paperback editions, though, if you have a paperback. You can add bold, italics, etc, and space it how you want.

Link to Author Central (US):

https://authorcentral.amazon.com/gp/home

Mona

message 39: by Steph (last edited Oct 03, 2012 01:48PM) (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Mona wrote: "Steph, the best way to make your book's item description how you want is to use Author Central..."

Thanks for the advice. I did sign up to Author Central a few weeks ago but kept getting bright red messages about 'missing data' and 'page not found' errors when I tried the various options, so didn't persevere. Maybe I should send a query to Amazon support...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Steph wrote: "Mona wrote: "Steph, the best way to make your book's item description how you want is to use Author Central..."

Thanks for the advice. I did sign up to Author Central a few weeks ago but kept gett..."

Can I ask where the error messages came up? Was it after you added your books, or wouldn't it let you add them? Was it on one of the tabs on your book's page, e.g. book description? I might be able to help if I know more, or of course you can email Amazon.

Mona

message 41: by Steph (last edited Oct 06, 2012 03:12AM) (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments Mona wrote: "Can I ask where the error messages came up?..."

I've just gone back into it now and it has let me edit the book description with no problems, so perhaps it was just a glitch in setting up the account. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

message 42: by Leeland (new)

Leeland Artra (LArtra) | 92 comments Mod
Nick Stephenson pulled the curtain back on some of the marketing tricks I am doing in his interview "Magic, Mysticism, and Marketing – success stories with author Leeland Artra." Check it out @ http://bit.ly/YnrYEJ

Nick's site features a number of interesting articles on tips and tricks for book marketing.

message 43: by Eric (new)

Is anyone using pinster? If so, how?

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 14 comments Pinster or Pinterest??? I use Pinterest but I doubt it is helping with my book sales.

message 45: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I just started using Pinterest. Not sure if it's helping or not, but I did create a board for Bakkian Chronicles.

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 14 comments One of the things I like about Pinterest is that I find some fabulous images that perfectly fit settings in my books.

message 47: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

I did find some cool boards with medieval weaponry on it. That came in handy.

message 48: by A.L. (last edited May 22, 2013 10:46AM) (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 1013 comments Oh cool. I think I have seen that board. I have a great book for that anyway. Jeffry what is the board link for Bakkian I would love to follow you.

I did find this on a forum I follow. http://www.indiesunlimited.com/2013/0...

Does day of the week really matter?

message 49: by Jeffrey, Lentarian Fire Thrower (new)

Hi Alexandra -

The link to the board is:

http://pinterest.com/jaymikal/bakkian...

I'm still learning about it from my pin-loving wife. :)

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 14 comments Here's the link to my Pinterest board for my epic medieval fantasy, The Silk & Steel Saga. I post photos for other fantasy books I like as well as photos that fit my saga. http://pinterest.com/karenazinger/boo...

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Nik's Knacks (other topics)