Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Anything good on "MOVIES ON DEMAND"? (Time Warner Cable Channel #1010)?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments If you see a good movie on the Time Warner Cable "Movies On Demand" channel, #1010, please post about it here. I'd appreciate it. Sometimes it's the only way I get to see a movie because it's the most convenient way for me. Thanks.

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments We do the Free On Demand sometimes. FearNet.
Donnie Darko was on that recently, both me and Eric watched it a couple of times. I love that movie. I rally should just go out and buy it.

A synopsis from Imdb:
A troubled teenager, Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal), escapes death when a jet-engine crashes in his bedroom, because he follows a giant bunny leading him outside. The bunny, called Frank, tells him that the world will end in 28 days. As the final date comes closer and closer Donnie is drawn into an alarming series of events that may or may not be a product of growing insanity.

message 3: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Is Donnie Darko found via the On Demand Channel 1010, Jackie?

What is FearNet?

message 4: by Jackie (last edited Feb 07, 2009 07:43AM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I don't know what channel it is. It's in the 1000s. I don't bother with regulr On Demand because I don't want to get in the habit of renting movies via the cable. The bill is big enough as is.

Does your remote have a little yellow triangle with an 'A' on it? If it does, press that, and it takes you directly to the Free on Demand Channel. Once there, along the bottom is a few movie channel names and FearNet is one of them. As the name implies, it's mostly horror movies, but not all of them are.
Donnie Darko is not a horror movie. I'm not sure what I'd class it under. On Wikipedia it's called a psychological thriller. But that's not exactly right either. It's got drama, mystery, time travel, hallucinations. The first time I watched it a few years ago, I was like 'What the heck is going on here?'. But it all comes together in the end. It was a really good movie.

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie, I'll check out the yellow 'A' triangle. Thanks.

As far as stories coming together at the end, I remember Irving Wallace's books. You'd meet individual characters and then he would bring them together at some event. I loved his books. I read the ones below and others too (a long time ago):
_The Prize_
_The Man_
_The Fan Club_

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Once you get to the Free On Demand channel that the triangle takes you too, there are other Free on Demand channels right next to it, I think it's up. There's a Hallmark channel, though I never watched it. I can't remember what other channels because I usually don't go past FearNet. Explore and let me know if you find anything interesting.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Now that I have Netflix, I probably won't be using On Demand. But you never know. Remind me every once in a while that it's there. I've gone there so many times, only to be disappointed, that I hardly look anymore.

I've been thinking about all the commercials on TV. Everytime I surf the TV channels, all I hit are TV ads. I'm so sick of them.

Such a high percentage of TV time is given to commercials. They're going to put themselves out of business because people will be getting sick of commercials. Except for those folks who record and then fast-forward when they come to the ads. But I hate fooling around with recording.

A lot of folks are turning to Netflix instead.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I originally started recording weekly programs because I'd forget they were on and miss them. But once I realized how many commercials I was forced to view, I started recording everything.
For each hour-long program, it's 20 minutes of commercials. For every 3 hours of TV watching, you've waste a full hour on commercials!
Commercials are what pays for us to watch TV, so they can never drop commercials on network TV or they will turn into pay-TV.
I don't channel surf either, for the same reason as you, Joy. I go through favorite channels. With the DVR I can see what's playing the entire week in advance. And I record what I want to watch. Life is too short to be wasted on commercials.
Do you have the DVR, Joy? It is the easiest thing in the world to set to record. I can help you with that if you have a DVR.

I don't like Netflix for one reason: the waiting.
I go to Price Chopper and get what I want the day it comes out. I'm not waiting til it becomes available on a long list of customers. And it only costs me $2 for a new release.

message 9: by Susan (NY) (new)

Susan (NY) If I am watching tv with a lot of commercials, I will read my book during them. That way I get to enjoy two things at once, tv and my book!

message 10: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Susan,
That's what I used to do too! But now that I've found the joys of recording, I don't do it anymore.

message 11: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 08:06AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I have a few subjects to respond to. I'll number them for clarity.

1. RE: GOING TO STORE TO RENT - I don't like going out to the store when it's cold out. I avoid it at all costs, except starvation. (g)

2. RE: TV ADS - I'm not advocating the removal of all TV ads. I know that's how they make their money and pay for the programs. However, IMO, they should think about reducing the percentage of time they allot to the ads. If they reduced the odds of my hitting an ad everytime I turn on the TV (or change channels), I might be inclined to watch more TV. Instead the ads are repelling me from watching TV.

3. RE: RECORDING AND CHOOSING WHAT TO RECORD IN ADVANCE VIA DVR (as Jackie says she does) - Jackie, I know myself. I won't plan ahead. I would not give the time to planning ahead. I tend to do things spontaneously, i.e., when the mood strikes me. I've always been this way and it has worked well for me in the past. I find that I accomplish everything that needs to be accomplished... eventually. (g)

4. RE: READING DURING COMMERCIALS - Yes, I sometimes try to do things during commercials (incl. reading). At times it works. However, eventually I find that switching back and forth between activities isn't very relaxing.

5. RE: WAITING FOR NETFLIX FILMS - I don't mind waiting. I have a lot of things I like do while waiting, including reading. I don't mind seeing movies long after they come out, even though I know it's nice to keep up with the newest releases.

6. RE: WATCHING MOVIES IN GENERAL - I get restless watching a full-length movie. I have to take a lot of breaks. So, actually, watching movies isn't my favorite thing. That's another reason I don't mind waiting for my Netflix films.

CONCLUSION: Even though recording works well for some folks, it wouldn't work well for me because I don't like planning ahead. I'm a spontaneous type person. I've always said that if I knew what chores I were going to do when I woke up in the morning, I wouldn't get out of bed. Whereas, once I'm out of bed, I suddenly see the need for a chore and then I do it. It's the way I've always worked.

I know that Jackie's method makes a lot of sense. However, it's not something I'm inclined to do, despite the fact that it's sensible. (g)

To each his own, eh? (g)

PS-I don't have DVR, Jackie. If I ever persuade Eddie to get it, I will ask your help in recording. Thanks for the offer. Who knows, one of these days, I might say to myself: "Gee, Jackie was right".(g)

message 12: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments I watch a lot of weekly series, so for that it makes sense. On the weekends, when I'm caught up on weekly series, then I'll look for a movie.
I hate going out too, that's why I have Anthony and Eric, LOL. But having the Video Department right inside Price Chopper makes it so much easier.

message 13: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jackie, I'll keep my eye on the videos at Price Chopper. Two dollars ain't bad! How long do they give you to keep each video?

As for the series, I never watch them.

As for going out, that's why I have Eddie. LOL

message 14: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments 2 days for a new release. Old stuff is 5 movies for 2 or 3 dollars for 5 days!

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Jackie-I have not once had to wait for a new release from Netflix-I put it on the top of my list & I usually have it here on Tuesday when it is released, I have not left my house, had to park in the Price Chopper parking lot(which I hate BTW & I think they should tow people who can't read the NO Parking signs) & if I don't watch the movie for 2 days, 2 weeks or 2 months-no late fee.....I see people using the Red Box in Hannaford, I think that's great too, for them, but I like having my little list at my finger tips & having the movie come to me LOL!!!

message 16: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments That's great that you get the new releases right away. My neice has to wait, I don't know why that is. We have to go to PC anyway for our food and we do it all at the same time.
How much is it per movie? Or is it a set rate?

message 17: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I think I'm confusing "new releases" with "latest movies". The latest movies don't become new releases for quite a while, if the movies are hits.

Am I understanding this right?

If so, I can get the newest releases either at Netflix or the SuperMarket, but not the latest movies. Right?

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Yes, you're right about that, Joy. Sometimes those New Releases sit on the shelves for a long time.
The thing about PC, is that the first week of the month, I call them, they tell me everything that's being released each week, and I tell them what I want so it's put on the side for me to pick up the day theyre released.
When I say New Release, I mean what comes out right now, LOL. Ever the impatient one, LOL
The one drawback to PC is they don't have every new movie that comes out, then I'm forced to go to the dreaded Hollywood Video, LOL

I'm going to consider Netflix, depending on the cost of it.
How does the return go? Do you have to pay postage for it? What is the cost system and how does it work?

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Joy-there are different levels of fees at Netflix, depending on how many movies you want at a time-we do 3 out, so I will always have a cycle of 3 movie. If I send 2 of my 3 back tomorrow, I will get 2 more back-Wed or Thurs & still have the 3rd one here. That is $18 per month & I can watch 3-5 movies in a week(sometimes more of less) & I move the list around if I want something else. So how much per movie is actually up to you & how many you watch & how quickly you return them.
As far as going to PC to get food-you are right but this way, I don't' have to go back when they have to have the movie back-if I go to PC once a week, that is too much for me LOL!!! I would much rather walk to my mailbox-shipping is included, you just reseal the envelope. My fee comes out of my checking acct each month & I know that date or you can use your credit or debit card. They have TV shows too. & if you keep the movie for 6 days or 6 months-no fee, just not getting the full value of the monthly fee & you can put your acct on hold if you are going away etc....

message 20: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Does "New Release" mean what's currently playing at the movie theaters?

Jackie, I think Becky answered your question for the most part. We don't have to pay for postage. You pay one lump fee and that's it, per month, depending on whether you
want 1, 2, or 3 DVD's at a time.

Below is some Netflix info from my post elsewhere at this group:
========================================================
I chose the $13.99/mo. plan until my 2 free weeks are over. That means I will receive 2 DVDs at-a-time and can get an unlimited amount of DVDs per month.

When my 2 free weeks are up, I might switch to the $8.99/mo. plan which will allow me only 1 DVD at-a-time (with an unlimited am't per mo.).

There's a $4.99/mo. option, but that allows only 1 DVD at-a-time (with a limit of 2 DVDs per month).

There's also a $16.99/mo. option which allows 3 DVDs at a time (with an unlimited am't per mo.)

To see a chart with the different payment plans, go to: ====>
http://www.netflix.com/HowItWorks
Then scroll down to the FAQ's.
At the bottom of the left-hand column, click on: "How much do the plans cost?"
For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't put that chart in a more obvious place on the website. I had to telephone them to find it!

BTW, the webpage also has an 800 tel # for questions, 24 hours a day. It's:
1-866-579-7112 (24 hours a day)

I also found out that they don't ship on Sat. or Sundays. So you have to work around that.
========================================================

message 21: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) | 4050 comments Joy,
New Release isn't what's in theaters now, but in a few months, it will be, when it gets released to DVD.

I'll have to check it out and see if it's cost effective for us. at a quick glance, it sure seems that way. We;d have to do the unlimited for it to be of any use to us. Still, $16.99 a month, pretty good.

I'm going to leave this age open so I can come back later. boss Juneau wants to go for a walk. And some cleaning may be in order. LOL
I love this group, it's so active. But it's what keeps me here all day, LOL

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) No they don't ship on those days but if you send a movie back on Friday, they will have it on Monday & send a new one out...& if you have a new release on the top of your list, that is what you will get. They did catch on to people who had the system figured out but I haven't had that problem because I don't "just" rent the new ones....

Joy-new release means new dvd rental-they come out on Tuesdays. Not new at the movies....

message 23: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 09:50AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Thanks for answering my questions.

I mailed out my return DVDs to Netflix yesterday (Sat. 2/7). I hope they get them by Monday or Tuesday.

BTW, Becky, you said: "They did catch on to people who had the system figured out...".
What did Netflix do at that point? Can you explain?

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) People who were only ordering the new releases(my sister) & expected to get them every Tuesday were the ones & from what my sister told me, she started noticing that they were sending her the 2nd or 3rd movie on her list. It never happened to me because I order a wide variety of movies & I think Netflix wanted to give everyone a fair chance....

message 25: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 01:53PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky wrote: "People who were only ordering the new releases(my sister) & expected to get them every Tuesday were the ones & from what my sister told me, she started noticing that they were sending her the 2nd o..."

Perhaps Netflix had only so many copies of the new releases and your sister had to wait in line for the next available new release she had chosen.

Could that be the reason they were sending her the 2nd or 3rd movie on her list instead of the new release she had 1st on her list?

They told me on the phone that it was all done by computer, i.e., first come, first serve. That would be fair.

I think that's why it's good to get in our requests for new releases even before they're released. They put our advance request on a special "hold" list. Can't remember what they call that list.*
I know that I've done that already for a movie which is going to be released in April. Can't remember which movie it is.

*PS-The list is called "Saved DVDs".

message 26: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) No Joy-that was not the case, it was publicized, it was a year or so ago
You list is called Your Queue....

message 27: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 02:00PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky, I just looked at my Queue. I have two "Saved DVD's" at the bottom of my Queue.

Try it yourself. Try reserving "The Soloist".

PS-Also try saving "Doubt".

They're both on my "Saved DVDs" list.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) Oh OK Joy=I do that but you still have to add it to the top of your list when the time comes...

message 29: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 08, 2009 02:38PM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Becky, I just called Netflix. You brought up a good point. The answer is that when the DVD on my "Saved DVDs" list becomes available, it will automatically be added to the bottom of my Queue. However, if I want it at the top of my Queue, I have to move it up myself.

So... I don't have to add it, as you say. I simply have to move it up.

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckymurr) yes...it goes to the bottom of your queue which in my case is about 200 movies..

message 31: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Wow! I have 17 movies in my queue so far. I hardly go to the real movies. So I have a lot of catching up to do.

Do you watch the added features on each DVD? They take time to watch. I found the discussions with George Clooney and his crew very interesting on "Good Night, and Good Luck". But, as I say, one needs time to watch all this stuff.

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Fan Club (other topics)
The Prize (other topics)
The Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Irving Wallace (other topics)