Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Oscar Nominations are Out! (Sally's blow-by-blow opinions on the Oscars)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell I didn't like Benjamin Button. I thought it was just silly and tacky and way too long. Then I saw this:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1d76...

And now I really hate it.

message 3: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I thought BB totally blew a chance to make a great commentary on aging and our youth obsessiveness. It was totally the fault of a lame-o script. I don't know that I found it tacky, though, Dave. I was sorta shocked The Reader got nominated---hot sex with a Nazi milf? Wubba-wubba. I doubt TR handles that theme as brilliantly as Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS, but Holocaust and bumping uglies strike me as more unpleasant than staring at Brad Pitt in soft focus. Then again, until TR actually makes it down here to Podunk, I won't know for sure.

message 4: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) Give it up for Kirk and his referencing Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS!!!

message 5: by Shana (new)

Shana (Shanac55) | 98 comments I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees. I need to get out more. Too bad The Dark Knight didn't make it. I actually saw that one. And rather enjoyed it.

message 6: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments I liked The Reader, the book.

message 7: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments OK, Milk got a lot of nominations, so that means it'll probably show at at least one of our mainstream theatres, which means it won't show at our new indie theatre. Poo! I really wanted to watch it at the indie theatre!

message 8: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17294 comments Mod
I'm rooting for Slumdog Millionaire all the way.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24106 comments I'm way behind the curve, as usual, not having seen anything nominated. :(

message 10: by Sally, la reina (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:49AM) (new)

We should all go one night (in our respective cities, of course) then come back and talk about it the next day. Revolutionary Road , anyone?

message 11: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24106 comments Good idea.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I LOVE that idea, Sally! I just hope The Reader is playing somewhere near Olympia.

I saw Frost/Nixon last night, with Dave, and I highly recommend it. The performances were great, especially Langella's, who actually had me a little misty for Nixon. For NIXON! You could see all the conflicting emotions on his face, and the regret and hurt in his eyes. Wow.
It was so good, we had to celebrate with pie and ice cream afterwards.

message 13: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24106 comments What kind of pie?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I had lemon meringue, Chris had rhubarb, and Dave had this apple/caramel/brown sugar ice cream sundae thing.
We tried to go to Cold Stone Creamery, but it was closed, so we ended up at Marie Callendar's instead.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24106 comments Marie makes respectable pies.

message 16: by Dave (last edited Jan 24, 2009 01:05PM) (new)

Dave Russell Mine was called the Big Apple. It was a schooner filled with vanilla ice cream topped with apple pie topped with whipped cream.

I also liked Michael Sheen's performance as this sort of callow performer who suddenly realizes the importance of the opportunity he's been given. Although, I did have trouble not seeing him as Tony Blair, whom he played so memorably in The Queen, and whom he is a dead ringer for.

edit: I also wanted to mention the amazing work done by Kevin Bacon as Nixon's chief-of-staff. He plays him as a hero-worshiper who so desperately wants to believe in the idea of Nixon even as he sees the man come apart.

message 17: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24106 comments I really want to see that one.

message 18: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments So are people going to watch Sunday? I mean, besides Jackie?

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments I love watching the Oscars. I won $100 in my office pool a couple of years ago -- I actually predicted 22 out of 24 categories. We haven't had one since then :(

Anybody want to make a stab at it? Winner gets bragging rights?

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm guessin' some competitive spirit is going to come flying your way from the Pacific Northwest...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Me, oh me! But I usually outguess myself, Sarah Pi.
Which categories? All of them?

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments Sure!
For fairness, let's say no editing of the guesses post once you've put it out there.
I actually do worse the more of the movies I've actually seen, which means I'll probably do pretty poorly this year.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, I know what you mean, Sarah. Because then my own favorites skew my reading of the buzz out there.

It doesn't stop me, though. I'm going to watch one more movie, Changeling, tonight, and then I'll be ready to vote.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

I love watching the Oscars!

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments Here are mine - these are my guesses, not the ones that I'd LIKE to win. If that were the case, I'd pick Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke, and Hellboy II to win best makeup :)

Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor - Mickey Rourke
Best Actress - Anne Hathaway
Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis
Best Director - Danny Boyle
Documentary - Man On Wire
Documentary Short - The Witness - From the Balcony...
Film Editing - Milk
Foreign Language Film - Waltz with Bashir
Makeup - Benjamin Button
Original Score - Slumdog Millionare
Original Song - Jai-Ho, Slumdog Millionare
Short Film Animated - Presto
Short Film Live Action - Speilzugland (Toyland)
Sound Editing - Slumdog Millionaire
Sound Mixing - Slumdog Millionaire
Visual Effects - Benjamin Button
Screenplay, Adapted - Slumdog Millionaire
Screenplay, Original - Wall-E
Animated Feature -Wall-E
Art Direction - Benjamin Button
Cinematography -Slumdog Millionaire
Costume Design - The Duchess

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Okay, here's my predictions, Sarah Pi:

Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor - Mickey Rourke
Best Actress - Kate Winslet
Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger
Best Supporting Actress - Penelope Cruz
Best Director - Danny Boyle
Documentary - Man On Wire
Documentary Short - The Witness From the Balcony
Film Editing - Slumdog Millionaire
Foreign Language Film - Waltz with Bashir
Makeup - Benjamin Button
Original Score - Slumdog Millionare
Original Song - Jai-Ho, Slumdog Millionare
Short Film Animated - Presto
Short Film Live Action - Speilzugland (Toyland)
Sound Editing - Slumdog Millionaire
Sound Mixing - Slumdog Millionaire
Visual Effects - Benjamin Button
Screenplay, Adapted - Slumdog Millionaire
Screenplay, Original - Milk
Animated Feature -Wall-E
Art Direction - Benjamin Button
Cinematography -Slumdog Millionaire
Costume Design - The Duchess

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments Heh. I guess we both go down together...best actress and original screenplay seem to be the only places we differ.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments And Best Supporting Actress is different, too. But, yeah, this year it looks like "Slumdog Millionaire" for just about everything, Sarah Pi.

Now, if it were MY choices, things would look different. I'd choose Sean Penn as Best Actor, and Milk as Best Picture. I'll be kicking myself if that happens...

message 29: by Julie (new)

Julie | 568 comments Ugg.
I am so sad that I haven't seen any of these films yet!
I am gonna watch though, but I don't think I would have a chance in hell of guessing any of them.

message 30: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Feb 22, 2009 04:05PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Okay, I'm watching the pre-Oscar show, with chips and guacamole, and I'm hoping for some awesomely bad fashion.
:::crosses fingers:::

Guys, you're supposed to SHAVE for formal events. You aren't guest starring on Miami Vice, for heaven's sake!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

Dammit! Pre show is already going on?

We never turn on our TV, and just assumed we got the Oscars channel. We don't. So I'm trying to frantically finish dinner (while chatting with the distracting RA) so I can bake my pot pie at my mom's while watching.

The pre-show is the best part!

message 32: by RandomAnthony (last edited Feb 22, 2009 04:25PM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I always wanted to guest star on Miami Vice. Don't harsh my fantasies, librarian!

(And I distracted both Sally and Jackie. My bad:)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, I'm trying to look at the dresses here, RA. This is VERY IMPORTANT!!!

message 34: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ok, Sweeter made it work. Now my mom is over here watching with us. The pot pie comes out of the oven in 10 minutes, and the Oscars start soon!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yay, Sally! It's starting RIGHT NOW!!!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yeah, yeah, we know, KD...

Here comes the first award! Best Supporting Actress...

message 37: by Sally, la reina (new)

OOOOh Penelope! Hoot!

message 38: by Natalie (new)

Natalie (ghostinmarble) King Dinösaur wrote: "Did Bruce Campbell get nominated for Cinema God? No? Then screw the Academy!"

Hear, hear.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments KD, you do realize you're not in The Hate Club at the moment, yes?

message 40: by Sally, la reina (new)

Jeez, KD.

I'm enjoying watching Slumdog win for best screenplay. I loved that flick.

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Ben Stiller's mockery of Gyllenhall was awesome.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Oh, I thought that was supposed to be Joaquin Phoenix...

message 43: by Sally, la reina (new)

hee. Whoops!

message 44: by Sally, la reina (new)

That's what I meant.

How about Heath Ledger winning? Did nobody doubt he'd win that best supporting actor?
I'm glad, but I feel for those who were up against him.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Heath was a sure thing, and everyone knew it.

Man, I hate the shorts categories. There's no way to see them, so you just have to guess what's going to win. Bah.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Ooh, look! stuff blowing up!

message 47: by Sally, la reina (new)

Jerry Lewis nearly put me to sleep.

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) | 24106 comments Great music!

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Yes! That's the best Oscar music presentation since "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp". ;)

Way better, actually...

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Dang, I knew it! Sean Penn IS Best Actor!

« previous 1