Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

Movies, DVDs, and Theater > Academy Award Nominations announced

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Jan 25, 2009 08:34AM) (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments The nominations for the Academy Awards have been announced.
See:
http://www.oscar.com/
http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/peopl...

The results for four categories are below:

Best Original Screenplay:
Frozen River
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Milk
WALL-E

Best Adapted Screenplay:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Doubt
Frost/Nixon
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire

Best actor in a leading role:
The Visitor - Richard Jenkins
Frost/Nixon - Frank Langella
Milk - Sean Penn
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt
The Wrestler - Mickey Rourke

Best actress in a leading role:
Rachel Getting Married - Anne Hathaway
Changeling - Angelina Jolie
Frozen River - Melissa Leo
Doubt - Meryl Streep
The Reader - Kate Winslet

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments I haven't seen any of the movies named above.
Have you? What did you think of them?

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments The only one I saw was Wall-E. It was fun, but then I like cartoons. (I'm currently making my wife groan by watching all the Xmen cartoons in order.) It's about a robot trash compactor on Earth, which men have deserted because they trashed the place & nothing would grow there. A probe finds a plant & Wall-E falls in love with the probe. It's a love story between two robots, neither of which speaks English. Not a fantastic movie, but fun to watch once.

I'd like to see:
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt
& maybe Changeling - Angelina Jolie.

I'm not sure. The Boss & the Little Boss generally remember stuff like that.

message 4: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Here's the IMDb link to the Benj Button movie: ====>
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...
The plot description there says: "Tells the story of Benjamin Button, a man who starts aging backwards with bizarre consequences."

Here's the IMDb link to "Changeling": ====>
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0824747/
It says: "Plot: A mother's prayer for her kidnapped son to return home is answered, though it doesn't take long for her to suspect the boy who comes back is not hers."

Roger Ebert says: "It is the factual account of a mother whose little boy disappeared, and of a corrupt Los Angeles Police Department running wild."
See his review at: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/p...

Eddie has no interest in seeing movies. So I have no one to spur me out the door to see movies, especially in this weather. As for getting DVDs via NetFlix, I'm not motivated to do that either. I've had too many disappointments in movies and hate to spend money on possible disappointments.

Not every movie draws me in. Most are too serious these days. I guess I grew up when movies were lighthearted (screwball comedies and musicals) and had stars whom I was familiar with and whom I was guaranteed to enjoy. They had the "star system" back then.

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I don't go to the movies at all any more. It's fantastically expensive, I can't smoke & someone is always yammering. Also, how fast a movie comes out on DVD is a good indication of how good it is. If it comes out fast, it's usually not worth watching.

message 6: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim wrote: "Also, how fast a movie comes out on DVD is a good indication of how good it is. If it comes out fast, it's usually not worth watching."

That's interesting, Jim.

If there are panoramic scenes in a movie, it's great watching them on the big screen. I enjoy that.

Going to the mall to see a movie gets me out of the house and back into civilization. (g) So sometimes I do like to go. We pay the senior price for a ticket.

I occasionally check the movies available on our TV's "On-Demand" list (like pay-per-view). Every once in a while there's a movie I've wanted to see, but that doesn't happen too often. The cost is usually $3.95 per view and it's available for 24 hours after you start the movie.

If anyone sees a good movie listed on our On-Demand TV listing, please recommend it to me. The channel on Time Warner Cable here is 1010. Maybe I should post a topic about that. Hmmm.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments I'm not all that fond of civilization, so go to it as little as possible. A good reason to go is the second hand bookstore, work or a sale at the local hardware store or lumber yard.

message 8: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (joyofglensfalls) | 16697 comments Jim, the reason you don't feel the need to "go out" so much, is that you go out to work every week day. Since I've been retired and not working, I realize the universal need there is to "connect" with "civilization" in some way. Of course the Internet helps, but I like seeing "real people" once in a while. (g) It's stimulating to be among the hustle and bustle of life.

This cold weather is a huge deterrent to my going out.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 6310 comments Good point, Joy. My wife says that, too. Her daily outings are in the bus taking kids to & from school. I work with a lot of other people, go out to lunch or meetings occasionally. I like to hide away after 10 hours of that.