Christian Historical Fiction discussion

How did you get into Christian Historical Fiction?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 395 comments Mod
Who was the first author/first book that you read that was Christian Historical Fiction? What did you like about it? Was that the one that got you hooked, or was it something else later? Why do you read this genre? What makes you grab that next book?

message 2: by Tracy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Tracy (mamallama) | 7 comments The first (and only) Christian Historical Fiction author I have read is Jane Kirkpatrick. To be honest, I didn't even know she was considered to be Christian fiction. I got "All Together in One Place" from my book club and I was hooked. I really appreciate Jane's tremendouse amount of research that she puts into her books. She really brings those people alive on the page.

message 3: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Then I hope you realize that you have just opened a door to a completely addictive new habit that never ceases!!!

message 4: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Well to be honest, I suppose the first I read was Lois Gladys Leppard the Mandie Series and the Lily Series, back when I was a tween. The first Christian Historical Fiction that I remember reading was Liz Curtis Higgs and her Scottish series that retells the story of Jacob, Leah, and Rachel, and later Dinah staged in 17th century Scotland. I read them as they came out and struggled in between each release waiting for the next thing. I cannot wait for her new series to begin that she's currently working on now. For those who do not know this series I mentioned above consists of Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, Whence Came A Prince, and Grace in Thine Eyes. After that... I was visiting my brother and saw some books on my sister-in-law's desk, I don't remember what they were but they were Christian Fiction and my eyes were opened! Since then I have gotten into Tracie Peterson, Melanie Jeschke, Susan K. Downs, Susan May Warren, Francine Rivers, Carol Umberger, Lori Wick, Stephanie Grace Whitson, Bodie and Brock Thoene, and everyday it seems I'm learning about more.

message 5: by Karol (new)

Karol Hi! I got interested in Christian historical fiction right around 1995. I had gotten to know a missionary couple who worked with native Americans in Arizona. She mentioned to me that she liked Janette Oke. When I was at a yard sale I found 8 novels by her that were all in like-new condition. I bought them for Joyce. She was so absolutely thrilled that I decided I needed to read some for myself. I did -- and up to that point, I wasn't even aware of the Christian fiction genre! There was a lot to discover, and Christian fiction in general has certainly exploded since then. So many good authors out there!

message 6: by Kati (new)

Kati (katig) | 12 comments Lori Wick's "Californian's" series is the first one I remember reading. My mom gave them to me to read. I was probably just starting college at the time so 20 years ago or so ... it definitely started an addiction. I've always been a reader, but now I rarely go anywhere without a book in my hand.

message 7: by Amandasaved (new)

Amandasaved | 8 comments My introduction to Christian Historical Fiction came about with author Michael Philips Secrets of Heathersleigh Hall series. I found it accidentally when I was looking for a series in which the name Amanda was a character. But now I'm hooked!

message 8: by Wen (new)

Wen (thespoilingone) | 26 comments For a long time my preference was romance novels. I would go in waves of what type, Time travel, historical, paranormal and so on. Sadly the story content kept dwindling each year to where much of the story was something more fit for Showtime and very little of the rest of the book had an actual story line to it. Having a love of history in general, I started to read more historical fictions. My mom had given me severla Christian fictions but many were contemporary or more little house of the prairie type stories and I was more interested in European history. So did really stand out as great for me. The Liz Curtis Higgs, Scottish series I loved. I also had accidentally found a book about Mozarts Sister by Nancy Moser. I have always loved music And was historical. It was misplaced in the regular fiction section when should have been in the Christian fiction section.
Now I rarely read and romance novels. I almost exclusively read Historical fictions and Christian Historical fictions.

message 9: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella | 8 comments i honestly can not remember the exact first historical fiction book that i read but one that i remember help to re spark my interest was redeeming love by francine rivers. the story line and passion was just so wonderful.this book helped to hook me but i would say i was not truly hooked until i read julie lessmans a passion most pure. ever since reading her books i can not get enough of the historical fiction!

message 10: by Vickie (new)

Vickie McDonough | 4 comments That's a tough question. I think the first Christian fiction I read was by George MacDonald, a Scottish pastor. That was way back in the 1080s when there wasn't much Christian fiction. Other authors I read back then were Tracie Peterson, Janette Oke, and Gilbert Morris. If you'd like to find more Christian fiction authors, check out a brand new website www.fictionfinder.com

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Christy wrote: "My introduction to Christian historical fiction came when I was somewhere around 8th or 9th grade (which has been about 15 years ago). I first started out with Janette Oke and Jane Peart because t..."

How funny! Those were the two authors that I started reading too. Plus, Brock and Bodie Thoene became an addiction as well. My grandmother bought me my first Janette Oke book and I've been hooked ever since. The Brides of Montclair series was a good one too. I love Jane Peart.

message 12: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Bonner (lynnettebonner) | 33 comments The first series I remember LOVING was the Zion books by Bodie Thoene. I started reading those in about the 8th grade. From there it has been one looonnnggg stream of books for me. :) Love the genre!

message 13: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 41 comments Just like so many others, it seems, the first books that really hooked me on historical fiction were the Zion Chronicles series and Zion Covenant series by Brock and Bodie Thoene! They are still high on my list of favorite authors. As far as other historical fiction authors, I also enjoy Janette Oke, Gilbert Morris, and Jane Kirkpatrick, among others.

message 14: by Margaret (new)

Isn't amazing how one book or author can spark such interest and devotion in our reading habits?

message 15: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments the first book in the Canadian West series by Janette Oke.

message 16: by Margaret (new)

Margaret wrote: "Isn't amazing how one book or author can spark such interest and devotion in our reading habits? "
I like that one. I need to read the rest of the series. I vaguely remember starting the second book and then moving several years ago, and after it got in a box never got back to my bedside table... hmm...

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Ausjenny wrote: "the first book in the Canadian West series by Janette Oke.

"

I loved that Series!

message 18: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments I do too Jennifer i feel in love with Canada and mounties from that book and it got me back to reading after about 7 - 9 years

message 19: by Jennifer (last edited Jan 04, 2010 01:54PM) (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Did you read the last two in that series? They focused more on the children and were written later. Beyond the Gathering Storm When Tomorrow Comes It's kinda what she did with Prairie Legacy...going into the story of Belinda and Drew's children.

message 20: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments Yes I did I was hoping there would be more.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments yeah, me too! Oh well. She has a new series out set in biblical times with T Davis Bunn. Haven't read any of those though.

message 22: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments I saw that. I haven't read as many of the newer ones.
I did find some of the singles books got a little predictable.

message 23: by Margaret (new)

Jennifer wrote: "yeah, me too! Oh well. She has a new series out set in biblical times with T Davis Bunn. Haven't read any of those though."

I have an ARC of The Centurion's Wife and think I will get to review The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith Series #2). They both look pretty good.

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 41 comments I've read "The Centurian's Wife" and loved it. I highly recommend it. "The Hidden Flame" is on my TBR list.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments I read the synopsis of the Centurion's Wife and really want to read it. It's on my long list of TBR pile!

message 26: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrie) | 7 comments I think my first two books I begin interested is Grace Livingston Hill and Tracie Petterson.

message 27: by Marnie (new)

Marnie (bookexplorer) | 10 comments For me, it was Francine Rivers and Jane Kirkpatrick. Then, others tumbled into place!

message 28: by Joy (new)

Joy Ellis (joyellis) | 1 comments For a long time, I read Danielle Steele and other romance others. The stories all started sounding the same to me. Someone at church knew I liked to read and suggested Janette Oke and I have been hooked since. I still like some regular romance books, but only by certain authors and the books are usually part of a series. However, there is nothing like reading a good Christian novel with a positive message behind it. Usually when I read a book, it is a message I am needing in my life at that particular time.

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Bischof (joannebischof) I have favorite authors of course, but there is just something to be said about Christian Fiction as a whole that is special. Even clean secular romances leave me feeling let down...yah the guy and girl finally overcome all obstacles to find love, but without Christ in the storyline, you just have a happy couple, not a blessed couple! There is something to be said about the third person in the story, the true hero, Christ who redeems us and sets us free! Then, the love story is so much more powerful!

Joanne Bischof

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Joanne wrote: "I have favorite authors of course, but there is just something to be said about Christian Fiction as a whole that is special. Even clean secular romances leave me feeling let down...yah the guy and..."

Agreed!

message 31: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Bonner (lynnettebonner) | 33 comments I agree too. Good thoughts, Joanne!

message 32: by Cammie (new)

Cammie After I read Redeeming Love.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Cammie wrote: "After I read Redeeming Love."

:D I gave that book to a friend for her Birthday! She's never read anything by Francine Rivers! I told her she was missing out.

message 34: by Charmaine (new)

Charmaine (empress_charla) | 87 comments I grew up in a Christian family, so I've been reading Christian fiction since I was little. I read juvenile/teen books at first, and perhaps in my late teens that was when I started reading the Christian fiction geared for adults. I'm not sure when I first got interested in the historical genre. I've always loved history! :-) I remember reading the Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard and really enjoying it. That wasn't what got me interested in CHF, though. I read a lot of secular historical fiction novels for teens & kids, so maybe my interest in that made me want to read CHF, too. :-) I get interested in other books because of the positive reviews from other people, and also if it's a time period that interests me, or an author that I'm already familiar with. :-) Phew, that was a lot! ;-)

message 35: by Angel (new)

Angel (readingangel) | 1 comments I first read Brock & Bodie Thoene when I was a teenager and have been hooked ever since. I especially enjoy their Judeo series and can read them over & over again.

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 313 comments Angel wrote: "I first read Brock & Bodie Thoene when I was a teenager and have been hooked ever since. I especially enjoy their Judeo series and can read them over & over again."

They are one of my favorite authors to read!

message 37: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 51 comments just finished Heart of stone. it was really good