Terminalcoffee discussion

Helping You To Know The News > Obama Retakes Oath After Mistake

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 22, 2009 02:33AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Does this mean he has to redo everything he did yesterday? Were we "presidentless" for a day? Was Biden in charge?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/2...

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard | 347 comments Oath-Gate: an intentional attempt to reduce all those high hopes to realistic proportions. I am fallible. See me stutter.

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) Obama messed up because the Justice screwed up... the Justice said "faithfully" in the wrong place, and his pacing was all off...so then Obama didn't know whether to repeat it as it was said, out of order, or to state it correctly...
you see, he's still infallible!

message 4: by Gine (new)

Gine | 13 comments Randomanthony wrote: "Does this mean he has to redo everything he did yesterday? Were we "presidentless" for a day? Was Biden in charge?

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/2..."

THE RULES say that the President-elect becomes President by noon on inauguration, oath or no oath. (Actually, I don't think THE RULES mention the oath at all.)

message 5: by Jessica (last edited Jan 22, 2009 05:14AM) (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) It was stated on the news that his presidency DID commence from the point he took the oath on Tuesday...

or at noon, as Gine state above.

message 6: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) Still, this was all pretty funny.

I think we're going to see a presidency with a sense of humour once again.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) how wonderful! intelligence AND a sense of humor!
wow, is it too good to be true?
AND he smokes....
I like that.
:)

message 8: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez)

[image error]

message 9: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jan 22, 2009 06:03AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Wow...thanks, Gine. I had only glanced at the article this morning, I had no idea the oath was more ceremonial than offical. Interesting. The people complaining about the mistake need to get a life. Roberts and Obama are human, they're in front of millions of people, of course they might f--k up a little.

That reminds me...when I got married the priest accidentally called me "Sean" twice during the ceremony (Sean is my wife's brother's name, and the priest was a friend of the family) so every now and then I remind my wife that we may not be offically married because of the problem with the vows:)

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) thanks Gus!
(for the visual aids)

message 11: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments What's he smoking in that second pic?? Looks a little shady...:)

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) you're right RA!

message 13: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17294 comments Mod
Looks like he's enjoying it, whatever it is.

Sweeter and I wrote our own vows, too, and during mine the judge messed up a couple of times. It was like to keep the rhythm he'd set he was condensing words, rearranging. I just followed his lead, but said the vows as I'd written them.

message 14: by Gine (new)

Gine | 13 comments Randomanthony wrote: The people complaining about the mistake need to get a l..."

Thank you and amen.

message 15: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments The oath is in the constitution, though, written that way. That's why they wanted to make sure they got it done exactly right a second time. I think I remember reading that it happend to two other presidents, too.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jesstrea) yep. two others had to redo: Calvin Coolidge and someone else, even more forgettable.

message 17: by Cyril (new)

Cyril | 493 comments These are the quotes from the Constitution:

Article II, Section I (regarding the President):

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

The 20th amendment, ratified in 1933, states:

The terms of the President and Vice President shall end at noon on the 20th day of January...and the terms of their successors shall then begin.

Coolidge and Chester A. Arthur had to redo not because of mistakes, I think, but because of a potential problem with witnesses present.

message 18: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments Chester A. Arthur IS even more forgettable, Chairy!!!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments Good pub trivia fact: The oath of office is the only sentence in quotes in the Constitution.

Bonus: the "so help me God" is not actually in there. Some people protest its inclusion, using some cockamamie argument they call "separation of church and state".

And Chester A. Arthur helped standardize time zones, so we can't forget him. The man was a hero.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Time zones interest me. I have no idea how you people wait until ten PM for what we in the midwest think are the 9PM shows. You're up too late!

message 21: by Meen (new)

Meen (MeenDee) | 1733 comments LMAO, I feel the same way, RA! It's bizarre!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments Up too late, and then we're still the first to see the sunrise. It's just not fair. No wonder I'm tired.

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

I'm sure that scheduling hazoo made sense in the 1950s, but nowadays you'd think they could figure out some kind of technology for that.

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13814 comments Technology...like maybe something that can record the show so that you could play it back at a more convenient time...
if only we could invent a dictaphone for television.
We would be rich! Rich, I tell you.

back to my bottle of wine.

message 25: by Sally, la reina (last edited Jan 23, 2009 05:50PM) (new)

Well, Sarah 3.14, the problem is that the show comes on later than I want - so I need some kind of newfangled technology that will allow me to watch the shows here when they're watching it over there.

*swills in Malbec*