The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Magazine junkies?

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Is there anyone out there like me who has a huge pile of magazines sitting next to the huge pile of books to read? My name is Suzanne and I am a magazine junkie. I subscribe to about 8 magazines (from Self to mental floss to The New Yorker, oh and the New York Times Book Review, just because I never know what to read lol)and I can't seem to stop myself buying the occasional issue (Rachael Ray and O -- don't judge me!) from the newsstand as well.
The scary part is that I do read all of them - almost from cover to cover.

message 2: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments Oh my gosh! Me too!!! I got behind and so a pile has accumulated. My husband hates it, but I have a really hard time throwing them out if I haven't read them. I mean, I paid good money for those!

I'm so happy there are others out there. :)

message 3: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I get Reader's Digest, Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and Entertainment Weekly. If I don't finish one before the next comes, my mother-in-law takes it, so I am often up super late the night before she comes so I can at least skim!

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments ooh me! I read Nylon, Rachel Ray, Time, and then a bunch of other magazines whenever i go to the store..Cosmo..Vogue..InStyle..etc.

message 5: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments At work, we subscribe to a bunch of magazines, so I always read the new Cosmo issue as well as Glamour. When I'm bored, I will occasionally pick up Time.

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (mattsmama) | 7 comments Yes! Me too. Last year I managed to get a bunch of free magazines through the Coke Rewards program. (I drink too much pop). I have stacks of magazines that I don't know what to do with. My neighbor says she takes them to the hospital. And there's another group locally that will take magazines that are no older than a year old and I think they give them to the local cancer center.

message 7: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Count me in!! I subscribe to Latina and Self. My Newsweek subscription ended just this week. I have issues from November just sitting there. I try to bring in one or two in so I can read them during lunch. But my co-workers also bring in magazines, like People, Women's Health, etc. so I get distracted by those too. When I go on vacation I a take a couple with me to try and catch up.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1628 comments Here is my list:

Smithsonian
Archealogy
National Geographic
Discover
Preservation
School. LIbrary Journal
Pareting
Fit Pregnancy
Pregnancy & Newborn
American Libraries
Gourmet
Information Management
American Baby

AND.... I think that is it but I am not sure!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezza) I'm a huge fan of National Geographic Magazine and Time Magazine. Anything that's educational and relates to nature, science, or history I'm usually up for reading. I really dislike fashion and gossip magazines since all they do is talk about pointless crap. Although, maybe that's a good thing sometimes if you want to relax and take your mind off of stuff :P

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather (hsditto) I'm a sucker for any magazine dealing with food. I have a subscription to Cook's Country (which I LOVE) and Food and Wine. And I used to get Southern Living, but I only read it for the recipes. I admit to getting sucked into those People gossip mags when I see them laying around doctor offices and such.

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1628 comments Here at my job we also get tons of magazines so I don't have to spend my money on them!!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This is my list of subscribed magazines just to give you an idea of how crazed I am:
Entertainment Weekly
Self
mental floss
The New Yorker
Smithsonian
National Geographic Traveler
Budget Travel
Travel & Leisure
NY Times Book Review

From the newsstand, I will occasionally get Real Simple, Everyday with Rachael Ray, O the Oprah Magazine, Psychology Today, and/or whatever happens to have appealing cover topics. And I belong to Weight Watchers (down 35 lbs -- woo hoo) so I usually pick up that magazine, though I probably should just get a subscription for that too....

message 13: by Elena (new)

Elena | 45 comments Good to know I'm not alone... :) Subscription is not common here so I usually buy lots of magazines at the newstands. Some of them would be:
- Cosmopolitan UK
- Cosmopolitan Italy
- Zest (British, health & fitness mag)
- Glamour Italy
- Starbene (Italian, health & fitness mag)
- Ciak (Italian, cinema mag)
- FlashArt (Italian, contemporary art mag)
- A (Italian women's mag)
- Focus Storia (Italian, history mag)
- Panorama (Italian, news&comments)
I buy other women mags occasionally, and wish there were books-literature magazines on sale too!

message 14: by Leanne (new)

Leanne (Leanne1986) | 500 comments Firstly, I don't care what anyone says, Rachael Ray is a legend!!!

Secondly, I subscribe to the following:

BBC Wildlife
National Geographic
Vanity Fair

and when I get paid this month I will be adding:

Dogs Today
Your Dog (I work with dogs so these are always helpful!)
Harpers Bazaar
Opera Magazine

Apart from Fashion mags I don't like (what I call) girly magazines like Cosmo and the like but anything with good photography or animals/nature (both is always a bonus of course) float my boat!

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) All the magazines I'd like to read are a little too expensive.

My parents get BBC Music and the Classic FM magazine, mainly for the CD and I occasionally read them if there's anything interesting inside.

I'd like to read Focus as that's an interesting magazine. And there's a couple of history mags that are quite intersting.

But I can't afford them too often and so only buy them if I'm on a long train journey and don't fancy my book.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Suzanne wrote: "Is there anyone out there like me who has a huge pile of magazines sitting next to the huge pile of books to read? My name is Suzanne and I am a magazine junkie. I subscribe to about 8 magazines ..."

Oh dear, you've brought up a very touchy subject, LOL! I've subscribed to so many magazines that now I get offers for the "professional" price, which is usually $10 for 1 year - how can I resist???

Then, of course, if they are not read (yes, from cover to cover), I have to save them for the future.

I've got a lot of reading to do in the future!!!

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (kuckbaby) DONNA! I am so glad I'm not the only Smithsonian reader!

I have at least six months of back issues of:

Smithsonian
Florida Humanities
O
O at Home
Cosmo
Self
Alternative Press (music)
Real Simple
GQ
Vogue

I love love love magazines. I read every article in every issue, they are like crack!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments We get:

National Geographic
South Carolina Wildlife
Discover
The New Yorker
Gourmet
and
Cook's Illustrated

message 19: by Petra-X (new)

Petra-X (mona-lisa-with-eggs) I don't read magazines at all; not even the cover holds my attention these days. But I used to love National Enquirer, Cosmpolitan, Scientific American and Time. I would read Time now, but none of the others.

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 158 comments My name is Suzanne also. Hi Suzanne!! I subscribe to only a few magazines: Redbook & most recently, Guideposts. During a Clinique special, they offered a Marie Clair sub for a year, so I got that. I used to get Prevention, but wouldn't read it that much. So, I didn't renew that one. We also used to get Reader's Digest as a Xmas present from the in-laws but they didn't renew it for 2009 & neither have I.

message 21: by Liz (last edited Jan 24, 2009 09:03PM) (new)

Liz (hissheep) Suzanne wrote: "My name is Suzanne also. Hi Suzanne!! I subscribe to only a few magazines: Redbook & most recently, Guideposts. During a Clinique special, they offered a Marie Clair sub for a year, so I got that...."

I didn't renew my subscription to Reader's Digest this year either, but I'm reading unread back copies ... among other periodicals!

message 22: by Angela (new)

Angela | 1934 comments I get Glamour and Rachel Ray sent to me... but I do pick up the occasional US Weekly or other gossip mags.

message 23: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (missfryer) | 454 comments I love mags too. I miss JANE :( Do you guys remember that mag?

message 24: by Jonathan (last edited Jan 25, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez Is that a huge pile of magazines? I thought it was an end table!

Let's see...what's in there...we've got The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books, The Atlantic Monthly, Gourmet (my wife's), New York Magazine (also my wife's), Yankees Magazine (that's the magazine of the New York Yankees and, believe it or not, it's ALSO my wife's!), various and sundry alumni publications, plus Apollo, Art News, Artforum, Art Papers, Art in America, Art and Antiques...Maybe it's time to start cutting back....

message 25: by Liz (new)

Liz (hissheep) Okay, I'll add to the list:

More, Oprah, Living Simple, TV Guide, Entertainment Weekly, Country Living (now defunct), Yankee, AARP, Reader's Digest (didn't renew this year), Redbook, Body & Soul, Health ...

Whew, guess I'm a magazine addict!

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana | 1 comments I'm a junkie, too... from waaaay back when I used my meagre allowance on Tiger Beat, etc. Subscribe to Lucky, Allure, Domino. Usually buy Vanity Fair, National Geographic Adventure, Outside, Backpacker, Dwell, Oprah, plus the occasional Glamour and Vogue if I don't read it at the hair salon. I used to be caught up on magazines and new which titles came out every week of the month. Now I get very backed up and find myself wondering why I keep getting more.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Oh, and I forgot Narrow Gauge Railroads, or whatever it's called. One came today for the railroad freak.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 636 comments ahh i used to LOVE Jane!!

and Tiger Beat..I used to use all the money I had so that i could get the posters out of all those teeny bopper mags...ahh i still remember this huge poster of Jonathan Taylor Thomas as well as the Hanson brothers. lol. ohh good times.

message 29: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 53 comments im with all of you ladies!
i have...
parents
parenting
better
family circle
us weekly (shhh i dont care)
baby
american baby
racheal ray
and i think thats it lol!

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

And who says the publishing industry is in trouble??? We all seem to be doing our part, no?

message 31: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Dunno if I could call myself a magazine junkie, but I do have a stack of recent issues of The Economist waiting for me xD the Economist is the only magazine I subscribe to but because I'm so busy lately, I'm a bit behind (and so I'm also behind on current events, lol) xD

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Heather wrote: "I'm a sucker for any magazine dealing with food. I have a subscription to Cook's Country (which I LOVE) and Food and Wine. And I used to get Southern Living, but I only read it for the recipes. I a..."

I love Cook's Country and buy the occassional issue but I find it expensive. For christmas I asked for and received the Cook's Country Cookbook that came with a free DVD of season 1 of their PBS series. I'll get more recipes out of that one book than if I subscribed to the magazine. (It was $24.95 plus shipping and has 598 pages). Anyone else have books on their christmas lists?

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Oprah
Woman's Day
Time

I like diversity!!

message 34: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I don't know the reason but I feel like a magazine junkie when I am at my boyfriend's place in Italy. Other times I do like a magazine but might buy like only one or two a year. But here.... And the problem is also for me that I have to read everything in it and read them all. I think it might have to do with the following. There I am in a little village near the mountains of Tuscany. There is a little bookshop that has been there for over...well I am sure that it is more than 25 years and everybody knows everybody. it is like a ritual when we go inside. We always seem to watch around if there is something interesting but every single time we end up buying the same magazines. The man in the shop (and it is very little0 jokes (but there might be some true in it) that he can see it at his sales whenever we are there and that when we leave he even orders less magazines of the ones we always take.

I adore buying Focus there. You have Focus, Focus Storia, Focus domande e risposte and Focus Extra. One is thicker than the other. But I adore them, I am addicted to them. And after being there for some weeks we already have a whole pile of them.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments What are the Focus magazines about, Jeane?

message 36: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Focus Storia talks about different things from history. It has small articles but everytime it is mainly about one subject and about that it tells through many many pages. Great to read it all.
Domande e risposte has all kinds of questions and their answer with a bit of explanation. Great to read a bit now and then and very interesting. Extra is always about only one thing. For now I got one about Milano and Rome. It tells about the history of those cities, what kind of person the general Milan person is or a person from whatever city it talks about, the general picture of a person from there. The normal Focus will have also on e main topic which like half the magazine is about from different points told and smaller articles about other topics than can be about jsut everything: history, relationships, science, financial, sex, nature, animals. technology, health..... just whatever.

All of their magazines are written in a way that it always stays interesting and while you feel that you are relaxing and reading a magazine, you learn so much stuff.

I gave a coupon the my boyfriend's mother for il mio primo focus which is like my first Focus and for kids, so she could give it for her grandson and he adores it. he can color in it, read together with his mother, learn things in a joyful way....

This is the link, in italian: http://www.focus.it/

Like for now the main article is about the Cold war.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1736 comments Sounds very cool, Jeane.

message 38: by Lorna (new)

Lorna | 15 comments I go in streaks magazines
Right now I am reading

Poets and Writers
Yoga Journal
Rangefinder
National Geographic
Vanity Fair

My guilty pleasure is In Style - depends on who the featured cover person of the month is

message 39: by Jensownzoo (new)

Jensownzoo | 338 comments I also get a lot of magazine subscriptions as it usually ends up being cheaper that way than buying the ones I want off the stands. It is also a good way to get yummy new recipes to add to the "to-try" pile!

Cooking Light (my favorite cooking mag)
Vegetarian Times
Southern Living (also for the recipes)
Midwest Living
Taste of Home Simple & Delicious (won't be renewing - recipes have tanked in quality)
Bon Appetit (free subscription for 1 year)
Better Homes & Gardens
Martha Stewart Living
Mother Earth News
The Herb Companion
Best Friends (from the animal sancuarty in Kanab)
Dell Crossword Special
Bookmarks (wish it was monthly!)
Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine
Realms of Fantasy

message 40: by Gabby (last edited Mar 22, 2009 12:40PM) (new)

Gabby R. I get quite a few.

Rachael Ray
Food Network
American Girl
Time
Mental Floss
Mad
Family Circle
Everyday Food
jStyle
National Geographic Kids

message 41: by Ursina (new)

Ursina (farmersdaughter) | 3 comments I go to the library. They now put some of them on auto hold for me lol.

Western Horseman
Horse & Rider
Canadian Horse Journal
Horse Illustrated
Horse Sport
Seventeen
TeenVogue
CosmoGirl!
National Geographic
Canadian Geographic
Time
Macleans
Schwiezer Familie
SI
AgriSuccess
Better Pork
Hog Farmer
Better Farming
Top Agrar

I might be missing some, who knows. I only suscribe to a select few, the others are all at the lib or I buy them on occaison. Wow quite the list, now that I look over it.

message 42: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Southern Living
Cottage Living
Country Living
Parents
Working Mother

message 43: by Patsy (new)

Patsy (patsyjean) my magazines::
Wild Bird
Better Homes and Gardens
Parrots
Country Living
Cottage Living (until they died)
Home (until it died)
Psychology Today
Woman's Day
I also get one or two issues of many different magazines, then I cancel the subscription. That way I can try out many more kinds.
I hate to toss any until I read them because there is something in them I can learn! I pass them on or recycle them (when I tear out too many articles)
I get too many catalogs, also! I'm trying to cut back on those by contacting the company to stop the ones I really wouldn't order from.

message 44: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) Patsy, I'm :( about Cottage Living going under. It was my favorite decorating mag.

I also like Prevention magazine. Lots of good health info. in it.