The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Rory Book Discussions > A Christmas Carol - no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I know we're not discussing this until tomorrow. But I just have to say one thing.

I told you so.

:P

message 2: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Meghan yadda yadda yadda

Bah humbug!

message 3: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Sera Oh crap - did I get the date wrong again? Please ignore my threads until tomorrow.

message 4: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Sera No worries - deleted.

message 5: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Meghan Sera, they're going to vote you off the island. Heh

message 6: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:18PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Just got started on this, but really I am loving it. The language is so rich and beautiful.

message 7: by Sera (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Sera I know, Meghan, and after I ate the chicken fetuses - ha ha

I'm not posting anything until someone else does :)

message 8: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Hmm, I can't add any comments to those threads. Maybe it's because there are zero comments to reply to? And the person who started them has to make a comment first?

message 9: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I know Sera. Harsh. But it's a dog eat book kind of world. Those moderators won't hesitate to throw down the "Probst" on you either! (ha ha, kidding. I have no idea what that even means.)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) My old copy is a Penguin classics copy, and it's just the original texts. No introduction or anything. I've gotten hooked on Barnes & Noble Classics, because I love their footnotes and end notes and all the little nuggets of information you get. So I went out and got the B&N Classics verison of A Christmas Carol today. I'm looking forward to the new discoveries it will bring to this old favorite!

message 11: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I guess I'm the only purist here. I just like reading the text and discovering for myself the delights of the tale as well as what I like and feel about it all. I think it's probably because as a Lit major for way too many years, things tended to get over-discussed and critiqued. There is such a thing as too much knowledge and context and backstory and facts and author intent. You loose the heart of the story, and even the joy of reading.

(SPOILER for Les Miserables, if you don't know the story! This paragraph only.)For example, years ago when my family was taking a trip to New York and we had tickets to a couple Broadway plays, a family friend decided to tell me that Javert kills himself at a certain point in the musical "Les Miserables" in case I couldn't figure out that was what was happening. When I saw it, I wanted to scream! I wanted to kill her! Why on earth would you ruin such an impacting part of an amazing musical like that??? Ergh. Too much, like I said.

Maybe that's where my art major comes in... as an artist you learn once you finish the work, it is no longer about artist intent but about how it speaks to the person currently experiencing it.

I do sometimes enjoy random facts about a work, but not often and really never before a read. I'm the same with movies, too. Oh, like in Harry Potter... I still haven't read all that online stuff. I don't know all the J.K. facts. It filters into discussions occasionally, but I didn't want a bit of it before I read all the books!

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) I have to say... I can't tell you all how thrilled I am that people are enjoying this book. Dickens, Steinbeck, and Hemingway are authors so personal to me that I just want everyone to love them.

Also, the wine flows abundantly, so forgive me tonight...

message 13: by Alison, the guru of grace (last edited Dec 18, 2007 09:25AM) (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
Don't drink and post Sarah! It's a dangerous game!! (Haha)

message 14: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Nice one Alison! LOL

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan So I was reading the jacket about PJ Lynch, the illustrator of my book, and I thought I'd share what he wrote as I thought it was interesting:

"I've been thinking of illustrating A Christmas Carol for many years," he says. "When I lived in Brighton, I used to walk daily past a gravestone belonging to a man called Ebenezer Robbins, who died on Christmas Day, 1842. In my mind, I felt sure that this man must have in some way inspired Dickens to create Ebenzer Scrooge in 1843. And I knew that one day I would illustrate this extraordinary story."

Kind of cool huh?

message 16: by Sera (new)

Sera Very cool, Meghan.