Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Horror > The Ring

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) Yeah, I don't get scared of movies this much, but this one scared the crap out of me! I don't know what it is about it. Mostly I am scared of the movies that those things can actually happen, but this one was different. I didn't like the second one as much as the first though. However it was good!

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments i liked this one quite a lot on first viewing. on successive viewings my feelings have changed a bit. i agree - i jumped a few times the first time i saw it - some nice chilling touches and some straight up jump out of your seat scares.

message 3: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I've never seen the American version but really enjoy the original.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments a lot of people liked the american version more. i might be one of those people. i liked the original, but saw ringu after i watched the ring. the ring is more in your face scary....and had some really nice touches...the scene with the horse on the boat...whoa.

message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments I really liked the Ring and Ringu, but the genre is getting a little tired for me -- I can't get inspired to see J-horror or the American versions anymore.

And the Ring 2 is a giant mess.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments agreed, steve-o, these were cool when they first came out and there was a whole onslaught of them...i got lost in the shuffle. and lost interest. there are still some great horror flicks coming out of asia, it's just that these ghost films (the grudge, et al) oversaturated the market.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) Yeah, Grudge was retarded. I didn't get into it at all, it was almost the same as Ring! It made me mad too, cuz the commercials looked good, and they just put the good parts in the previews!

message 8: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments Didn't like the American version much. Like what Phillip said, it was in your face scary but nothing really stuck after the movie. I don't I even remember the scenes. I found the Japanese version creepier.
I don't like American versions of Asian horror either. Somehow the scare-factor gets lost in the American version, like it's less believable and, hence, less frightening.

message 9: by Kai (new)

Kai (ky02121) | 51 comments Love this more than the original. This film really scared me.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma Audsley (emmaaudsley) | 20 comments Totally agree with you! I'm a great fan of j. & korean horror!

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments I'm the only person alive who thought the movie was boring. Really. I just didn't see what was so scary about the movie. I felt the same way about the original, and I love Asian horror.

To this day, I don't know what it is. I know it's destined to be a horror classic, but I...I just don't get it. I found it annoying more than anything else.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) What movies are Asian Horror?

message 13: by Alex (last edited Jan 28, 2009 05:54AM) (new)

Alex (little_alex) | 150 comments I actually found the American version scarier than "Ringu", but that could be because I saw the Hollywood version first...

Miranda {kewL} wrote: "What movies are Asian Horror? "

Hm, depends on how you define the term. Any country that has its own film industry usually has its share of horror movies, and that definitely includes the various Asian countries. Japan does pretty good horror movies, so does Thailand... I think Hong Kong isn't too bad at it either. I don't particularly recall any memorable Korean horror movies, but that could be because I don't watch many Korean movies...

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) So ringu is an asian horror film?

message 15: by Jill (last edited Jan 28, 2009 06:57PM) (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 123 comments Alex wrote: "I don't particularly recall any memorable Korean horror movies, but that could be because I don't watch many Korean movies..."

Some people consider Oldboy to be a horror film, though I don't think it's necessarily true in the classic sense. More psychological thriller.

message 16: by Maryse (new)

Maryse (belle_maryse) | 66 comments "A Tale of Two Sisters" is a really good Korean Horror film. It was not that scary but it has a nice story, kinda like "The Others". It's one of my favorite korean movies.

message 17: by Phillip (last edited Jan 29, 2009 12:29AM) (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments oldboy a horror film? hmmmm. horrible things happen in it...not sure i'd call it horror. audition, that's asian horror, but it's korean, not japanese. (right?)

the j horror thing goes back a long way. i'm a fan of the early stuff: onibaba, jigoku, and some of that stuff by teshigahara could be thought of as j-horror (the face of another, pitfall - which i just reviewed on foreign films).

when most people talk about it today, i think they're talking about the more recent pop films that skirt the likes of suicide club, tetsuo the iron man, ju-on, marebito and countless others. i like all of the ones i mentioned here, there are a lot more i haven't seen.

ringu was ok, it didn't have much tension for me.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) wow, i didn't even know that there were that many. I rented Rungu one time, but took it back cuz i didn't want to watch subtitles the whole time, LOL! I guess i need to check into j. horror.

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments if you don't like subtitles, then you're out of luck. they're all in japanese.

♥{Miranda!®}♥  (bella) Yeah, i really didn't get to watch it though, i was watching it with a friend and she was like "This is retarded" LOL! So i'll try again, without her!

message 21: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 118 comments I did enjoy this film. I haven't seen the j. horror version and I will put it on my list. The 2nd one was stupid and it never should have been made. I'm so glad that they stopped at 2.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments maryse mentioned Tale of Two Sisters...that's also a good one.

message 23: by Phillip (last edited Jun 20, 2009 01:43AM) (new)

Phillip | 10609 comments You might also check out Oshima's Emipire of Passion. You could say that cast the die for the original The Ring (Ringu). It's the story of a woman who, along with her lover, kills her husband and they throw him down an old abandoned well. His ghost comes back to haunt them and drives them insane. It's pretty intense, and I should probably warn you there are some fairly explicit sex scenes (as there tends to be in Oshima's films).

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 941 comments Maybe shouldn't watch tv because that girl will come out of your tv and kill you lol

message 25: by James (new)

James (m0gb0y74) | 58 comments I wonder if the 'film' has made it onto dvd seeing as how not many VCRs are produced anymore? Maybe the curse doesn't do digital!

message 26: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (cubgirl) | 31 comments I love the movie The Ring!

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 941 comments That's a great movie