The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > New Masterpiece Theater Line-Up

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments For those of you who missed it, the newest BBC version of S&S will be returning to PBS the first week of February.

Also airing this season, new versions of "Tess of the d'Urbervilles" and "Wuthering Heights" and a collection of Charles Dickens adaptations. For those of you who swooned over Matthew Macfadyen in "P&P" don't miss "Little Dorrit" ;->

For full schedule, see here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/s...

message 2: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments Schweeet! Thanks for the heads up! I just got my DVR set up.

=)

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Anybody else watch Wuthering Heights of Sunday, while I think it was well cast, the bad wig on Heathcliff really was getting to me.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I am so excited Little Dorrit is airing on PBS. It was showing on BBC when I was in Paris this past November and never seemed to catch an episode. Yay for new Masterpiece! I thought Tess was a bit annoying, but I'm liking Wuthering Heights. Although I totally agree about Heathcliff's hair. He did get a haircut when he came back all successful. It reminded me of Amy's "bangs of sadness" in season 2 of Everwood.

message 5: by Edith (new)

Edith (opheliaflowers) oh how I miss having PBS... :(

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments I agree about Tess, I've only watched the first episode, her voice is kind of grating! Yeah, Wuthering Heights might have a huge upswing now with the new swanky hair, I was all like, hey yeah, far better, wait the episode is over?

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Tess' voice was very grating. There was a line she said to Angel towards the end after a big dun-dun-dun moment that she exclaimed with such grating forcefulness that made me laugh out loud. You'll know what I mean when you watch it.

message 8: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
I have Tess stashed on my DVR, as well as the first bit of Wuthering Heights, but I must ask...

Did any of you see "God on Trial" back on 9 November? You see, I've just now finished watching having put it off for a while. I can't begin to explain how amazing it is. So much so that I'm going to have to save it longer (though I'm desperate for the space) in order to record it.

At the end, I wept deeply. Most of all because really, the discussion - trial - was so disturbing in what it revealed, yet in the end they still clung to faith.

It'd be AMAZING as a play, to be sure. I have been to Auschwitz (on the heels of 9/11), so perhaps that experience caused my connection to the film to be more intense. Though I can't say for certain. I just know it's worth a look whatever your perspective is.

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I blanked and forgot to watch God on Trial but was reminded about it when I got my PBS catalog (lists all the DVDs you can buy from PBS; it's great to go through and find titles to request from the library or Netflix; I get a BBC one, too). I just added it to my Netflix queue.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

I watched Wuthering Heights last night (before Tess of the d'Ubervilles). The acting was insanely good. But the story? Ugh! Extremely different from the book. Well, anyway I think so. I suppose they were going with the spirit of it.

But honestly, I actually liked many of the characters okay in the film, and in the book they were all so exceedingly selfish or milk-toast that I couldn't stand them. It was all so pathetic in the book - one man's journey to vengeance (because of one girl's insipid self-centered ways) ruining generations of lives. Yikes. Get me the *bleep* out of there!

But WOW! The film expressed the passion well. And at least had a some of the second generation story - more than many other film versions. I still think of Heathcliff as the sultry Lawrence Olivier, though. But Tom Hardy*... unbelievably talented actor. Blew me away. (*Oh my gosh! I just figured out where I recognized him from - Star Trek: Nemesis!! Hilarious!!!) The rest of the cast was outstanding as well.

Anyway, it's worth a watch even if it's not spot on with the book. (And the better for it... but then I hated the book. LOL!)

message 11: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments I was really impressed with Wuthering Heights. It's been so long since I read the book that I honestly have no idea how different it is from the book.

and OMG, Tom Hardy was amazing. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect Heathcliff. He could be crazy and scary or charming and hot (When he came back with his new hair! /drooooool).

love love love

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah I thought it was really good, though I have a feeling it was edited when it was aired (seeing as PBS did this massively with Jane Austen last year) cause the second half seemed a bit short, so I'm excited to rent it now too!

message 13: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Well, it isn't scheduled to be aired in the UK until April... and it does say that it was intended to be 180 minutes, though when aired here it was only just under 120, so it's possible that we didn't get an hour of it. However, it is also possible that 180 was an estimation during production and it was edited to the length shown. You'll have to let us know.

message 14: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I totally agree about Laurence Olivier as Heathcliff. His version was the first one I ever saw (and how that one is different from the book; eesh) so he'll always be Heathcliff (and Maxim DeWinter) to me.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments He's sooo good as Maxim DeWinter, that's is like who Laurence Oliver is to me! I liked a few years back when Masterpiece Theatre still had good introductions Russell Baker totally slamming Oliver's Wuthering Heights because he attempted to give it a happy ending and omitted the younger generation.

message 16: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Michele, I didn't really like WH-the-novel, either, so your review has inspired me to watch the film! ;-p

message 17: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Yes, Maxim deWinter. *Sigh.* Scrumptious. But more than twenty years ago I watched Olivier in some of the Shakespeare he did as well as in films like Lady Hamilton... and of course Wuthering Heights. It was so passionate, romantic, tragic... I LOVED it.

And yes, I was watching all of that because I had a bit of a crush. He was so dashing and magnificent. But he was a phenomenal actor (I mean, hello! He and Merle Oberon HATED each other, but they pulled off WH!). And though extremely different from the book, I loved that movie. Now not so much, but it could be tainted by the reading of the book. (Ugh.)

But Maxim - and that movie (Rebecca)? NEVER gets old. Will always love him and it!

message 18: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I cannot find PBS on my silly TV. Well, I actually found it, and it says I don't subscribe to it. Isn't it the PUBLIC Broadcasting System? I get six HBO's and no PBS.

I, too, have a huge crush on Olivier. He was so beautiful on film. Love the old Wuthering Heights.

message 19: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Finally watched Tess of the D'Urbervilles the other night. I honestly had stayed away from the other versions and the book because I somehow knew it had a tragic ending... and I was really never in the mood. I guess with my friend inexplicably dying the other day, I was in a more macabre state of mind. Honestly, it was beautiful. Much as I grieved at the situations she kept landing in, I LOVED her character. I want to be that strong. I mean, wow! Tess is something.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Well if you have any Ted Turner cable broadcasting I think him and PBS had some sort of falling out, cause I have a friend in New York, she doesn't get PBS either....I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, words can never really help...

message 21: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "....I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, words can never really help... "

Thank you so much Elizabeth. It's so inexplicable. She was 39 - a year younger than me - with a 3 month old baby girl and a husband of only a few years. And her heart just stopped. Just beyond reason or understanding.

And your words did help... they soothed and let me know that in some way you do understand... that one can never enter into the grief of another, but that she can show her heart knows of the breaking. Thank you so much.

message 22: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Okay, I just can't help it. I have to keep bringing this topic to the top because honestly, Masterpiece is the best programming on television!

I just finally watched Oliver Twist. I intended to just watch like a half an hour before heading to bed, but ended up being so sucked in that I watched the entire three hours. It was so magnificently done, I was astounded and transfixed.

The acting was utterly amazing - and most of all completely floored that Bill Sikes was played by Tom Hardy, the same actor who played Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights the other month. Floored because (though I found him gorgeous) it just never occurred to me that it was the same person because he did such an mesmerizing and convincing job in both that I couldn't relate the two in the least. The rest of the acting was wonderful as well.

Oh, and the music! I'm lusting for the soundtrack, though of course there wasn't one, damn it. I must-must-must figure out a way to get that music! Anyway, that's one girl's take on it!

message 23: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

And by the way, I just can't figure out why I always had such a loathing for Dickens. I've seemed to love his stories in film lately and was completely sold on The Christmas Carol when we read it... It was very probably timing, but I am really excited to get to reading him soon. Were I not in the middle of like 18 books as it is, I'd likely start one now!

message 24: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Holy cow! I knew Sikes looked familiar but I never thought of Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights! I felt a bit ooky that I was attracted to Sikes, and now I know why! He looks much better without the too-dark-for-his-complexion wig. I agree about the acting in Oliver Twist. Excellent all the way around. I love Masterpiece and Mystery. I can't wait for more new programs!

message 25: by Kathryn (last edited Mar 13, 2009 09:25AM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I think "David Copperfield" is up next, this Sunday. It's not NEW (it features Daniel Radcliffe pre-Harry Potter, in fact) but as I've not seen it yet, I'm excited. Next, continuing the Dickens theme, is "Little Dorrit" which I've not read.

Michele, I had a love/hate relationship with Dickens as a teen--I thought he was a marvelous writer but some of his books just didn't appeal to me at all! My favorite was David Copperfield

message 26: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Dawn French is in this version of David Copperfield, along with so many other greats. YAY! I also haven't seen it, even though it's been on my "movies to get from the library" list for ages.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments And then Little Dorrit, which is awesome! It's really really good, you'll all love it.

message 28: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Hrumph! I couldn't find David Copperfield on my PBS stations today. Now I'm grumpy.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments At least the one they're showing is the older one so it's available through netflix...

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I absolutely LOVED part 1 of David Copperfield! Michele, sorry to hear your station didn't air it. I receive two PBS stations and thankfully one aired it. Maggie Smith is so many kinds of awesome as Aunt Betsy. Last night was the last night of the spring member pledge . I'm a sustaining member but my love for Masterpiece made me call in an extra contribution. I am getting a copy of David Copperfield and a snazzy eco-friendly totebag that says "Masterpiece" on one side and the PBS logo on the other. YAY! It makes me all warm and fuzzy to contribute AND score some cool swag.

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Ooh, I wish my PBS station had cool swag! When our pledge drive starts they take all the shows I like off for a month and only air Keeping Up Appearances and Andre Rieu...

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments My station does the same with pulling my favorite shows during pledge, but every now and then there's one during Masterpiece and Mystery with some cool swag. I'm still kicking myself for not getting the Masterpiece/Mystery umbrella a couple years ago.

message 33: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Alas, no Netflix subscription... though their offices are only two miles from my house.

message 34: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Waaaah!

message 35: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Okay, I was completely taken with Little Dorrit. I'd no idea how lovely a story that was! It's been on my shelf for countless years, however not knowing anything about it, the title didn't draw me. Now I can hardly stand not to read it this instance! It was truly so delightful, and it was rather funny to then see Matthew McFadyen as a hilarious character in an episode of the BBC show "Ashes to Ashes" (of which his wife is the star).

But I was, AM, utterly annoyed - irritated beyond distraction, that I watched 2/3s of David Copperfield, which was FINALLY shown here, only to find that the station miscalculated it's length so my recording ended before the show did. And it's not being shown again, nor is it available online. So completely lame. I want to scream because I have no idea how things turn out since I've not read it either. I'm seriously going to have to go on a Dickens bender... but I've not the time right now and have a stack of books I MUST get to for various reasons. I just want to scream! Stupid PBS!!!

Just as Ham dies, it cuts out. No idea if Uriah gets his comeuppance nor how things turn out for any of the characters I grew to love. If only I had Netflix. Gah!

message 36: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I also was very taken with Little Dorrit. I picked up a copy when I was at the bookstore on Saturday and look forward to reading it! Matthew Macfadyen was so good, as was the actress who played Amy. So many layers and levels to the story. Very good.

That is awful about David Copperfield! Check your library to see if they have a copy of the video/DVD. I do have Netflix, but it's only for titles that I can't get at my library for free!

I've never read Dickens but own quite a few. I am now very inclined to read them!

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments whichwaydidshego? wrote: "Okay, I was completely taken with Little Dorrit. I'd no idea how lovely a story that was! It's been on my shelf for countless years, however not knowing anything about it, the title didn't draw m..."

How awful, Michele! They do have David Copperfield at Amazon... but I think it's like $15 (which, not a dreadful price, though annoying that it was something you could have seen for free). I only know this,
'cause I forgot to tape it myself and had to do the research! d'oh!

message 38: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Michele, "David Copperfield" is one of my favorite novels!!! I hope you get a chance to read it--perhaps the recorder cutting out will ultimately be a good thing if it prompts you to hurry up and read the novel to see what happens! ;-p (Though, my sympathies with the annoying glitch! Does your library have DVDs--mine, fortunately, has a great selection of BBC films within the district.)

message 39: by Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (last edited Apr 28, 2009 11:40AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Ok, I'm extra geek and have been saving my money to buy Little Dorrit when it comes out on DVD, and then I saw the Dicken's Masterworks...think I'm going to save a little longer for this, so much go stuff!
http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Masterw...

message 40: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I also saw the Dickens Masterworks in my latest BBC America or PBS Video catalog. GAH! DeepDiscountDVD had a sale on British TV box sets. I don't know if it is still running, but there were some great bargains to be found. I nabbed the entire Rosemary and Thyme set for under $50!

message 41: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments REALLY!? Wow. I love "Rosemary and Thyme"! :-)

Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) (strange_misseliza) | 144 comments Yeah, I picked up Slings and Arrows and Marple 3 for 1/2 price, that was a great sale. Also the liquidation of the DVDs in many Borders stores has led to some nice DVD purchases as well.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments I was in Borders and walked right past the DVDs. My willpower held strong, but the temptation was there. Borders is getting rid of all DVDs, and I think music is eventually going to go, too. Michele, you might find the best David Copperfield DVD deal at Borders!

message 44: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Amy! My savior! It just never occurred to me to check the library. Doh! Thanks a million. I'm 4th in the queue, but eventually I'll get to watch it and bloody well find out what happens (I'm pretty sure I know, but must watch to find out for sure). Honestly, I hate that when I left everyone was in terrible situations.

That's what's great about Dickens, no matter how hideous things get, there is a sort of redemption of happiness in the end. So the journey is thrilling, horrifying, exciting, tragic, but you can feel assured that the good and the bad will all get their just dues. I just want to know how Uriah Heap gets his in the end! Gah! HATE him!!

And don't worry, I still very much want to read them... but right now I have 28 books ready to go with me up to Marin for the month. Somehow I think throwing in a Dickens a little overkill. LOL Like 28 books isn't an overkill already. Ha!

I just can't believe that because I had to read A Tale of Two Cities in junior high, that I thought I hated him all this time. Thanks to this group reading A Christmas Carol, my opinion certainly has changed!!! Now I suspect he may become a favorite... we'll see, but after A Chirstmas Carol, I'm thinking yes! Hooray for this group!!

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy | 74 comments Hooray for this group, is right! Where else can a bunch of book loving folks congregate and geek out over Masterpiece Theater and classic authors?! It's so great to find other like-minded folks out there. You all rock!

message 46: by Dottie (last edited May 01, 2009 08:59AM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Amy wrote: "Hooray for this group, is right! Where else can a bunch of book loving folks congregate and geek out over Masterpiece Theater and classic authors?! It's so great to find other like-minded folks out..."

The truly great thing is that this group of far-flung people based on their mutual enjoyment of a very modern TV series which espoused a love of good books which range from the latest published to these great enduring classics reflects that same eclectic approach to what is good about televison, books and life in general!

message 47: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Dottie wrote: "The truly great thing is that this group of far-flung people based on their mutual enjoyment of a very modern TV series which espoused a love of good books which range from the latest published to these great enduring classics reflects that same eclectic approach to what is good about televison, books and life in general!"

AH! So well said, Dottie!

message 48: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Hear hear, Dottie!

message 49: by Dottie (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Aw, shucks, Ann and Dini, thank you (hanging my head, drawing arcs on the ground with my toe -- but smiling with pleasure).

message 50: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments HAHA! Dottie, you crack me up!:D

« previous 1