e-Sangha discussion

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chami (new)

Chami | 54 comments Mod
If you are a Buddhist; Are you just a label Buddhist or are you a real Buddhist? If so why are you saying so? If you are a non-Buddhist; why are you interested in Buddhism? Do you think Buddhism is true?

message 2: by Chami (last edited Aug 19, 2012 06:56AM) (new)

Chami | 54 comments Mod
Deanna, you are absolutely correct. Well it's nice to see people, who can understand Buddhism in a time where many people humiliating Buddhism. I was shocked to see and hear western people talking about Buddhism, which are not existing in Buddhism.And, Deanna, i saw recently some underwears, slippers, bags and t-shirts printed Buddha. Those thing are very rude to do. but in other hand i highly feel sorry about those people who are doing this as they never can avoid the consequences of doing those things. As a person who is interested in Buddhism, i think you can understand about what i am saying. But real Buddhist never hate those people but help them to give up doing bad things. I will do it happily if get an opportunity to do so.

"Ehipassiko"- "come and see the Dharma by your self". Don't listen to anybody or don't believe Buddhism just because it is written in any book. you, by your self decide. Then it will be easy as looking into a mirror and seen your own reflection on it. Then you can see and decide whether it is true or false. The judgment lies beneath you, dear deanna. :)

message 3: by Chami (new)

Chami | 54 comments Mod
Deanna, you said that you haven't been to any temples/monastery. Where do you live may be i will be able to find some temples/ monasteries for you to go, if you still like to go.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

No, I am an atheist.I am learning about it and still researching.I'm interested in it because of the peacefulness and I understand it.I've been to a temple/monastary once or twice.It's rather far from my home, so not too often.As for it being true,I'm not sure,but it is a great philosphy.

message 5: by Chami (new)

Chami | 54 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "No, I am an atheist.I am learning about it and still researching.I'm interested in it because of the peacefulness and I understand it.I've been to a temple/monastary once or twice.It's rather far f..."

Which branch of Buddhism are you researching?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Chami wrote: "Which branch of Buddhism are you researching?

Theravada

message 7: by Chami (new)

Chami | 54 comments Mod
Allison wrote: "Chami wrote: "Which branch of Buddhism are you researching?

Theravada"

What are your ideas about it?

message 8: by Cui (new)

Cui (tsuei) Allison wrote: "No, I am an atheist.I am learning about it and still researching.I'm interested in it because of the peacefulness and I understand it.I've been to a temple/monastary once or twice.It's rather far f..."

I personally feel that it's possible to be atheist and buddhist at the same time :) There is a growing group of buddhists who believe in pursuing a 'stripped-down' Buddhism, stripped of acculturated ritual practices and values, which often tend towards theism. There are slight variations, but you may be interested in researching "humanistic Buddhism", "engaged Buddhism", and "small b buddhism".

Hope this helps!

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Ortega | 4 comments Well if individuals had a better teacher then maybe we all wouldn't be just labeling ourselves as a Buddhist... Also I needed to figure some things out myself inside and out

message 10: by Chami (new)

Chami | 54 comments Mod
Joseph wrote: "Well if individuals had a better teacher then maybe we all wouldn't be just labeling ourselves as a Buddhist... Also I needed to figure some things out myself inside and out"

Yeah i agree with you. But what i meant from label Buddhists is that, in many Buddhist countries there are some people who call themselves Buddhists just because they were born to a Buddhist family and haven't understood Buddhism or i would rather say that they are not following what Buddha say but call themselves Buddhists. For an example offense other religions while Buddha had never told to do so but respect other religions. In my country these people are called labeled Buddhists. But sadly most of them don't even try to correct themselves as they don't know who they are and what they are supposed to do.

unread topics | mark unread